Romney VP search: free-floating speculation and wish list thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:58:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney VP search: free-floating speculation and wish list thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
Poll
Question: Who should Romney pick as his running mate?
Kelly Ayotte

Richard Burr

Jeb Bush

Chris Christie

Mitch Daniels

Nikki Haley

Mike Huckabee

Bobby Jindal

Susana Martinez

Bob McDonnell

Rand Paul

Tim Pawlenty

Rob Portman

Cathy McMorris Rodgers

Paul Ryan

Rick Santorum

John Thune

Pat Toomey

someone else

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 119

Author Topic: Romney VP search: free-floating speculation and wish list thread  (Read 41454 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: July 19, 2012, 06:33:43 PM »

Jindal or Ryan would be my choices.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #226 on: July 19, 2012, 06:38:35 PM »

I'm rooting for Ayotte as of now for the simple pleasure of seeing the media response. I expect a near constant comparison to Palin. One that undoubtedly will make her appear even less intelligent than she thinks she is. Seeing her flail on center stage in front of the "liberal media elites" as she unwittingly digs herself deeper into her idiot hole would be fantastic...in a horrible way? But what about this campaign isn't already starkly depressing.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #227 on: July 19, 2012, 07:04:25 PM »

I'm rooting for Ayotte as of now for the simple pleasure of seeing the media response. I expect a near constant comparison to Palin. One that undoubtedly will make her appear even less intelligent than she thinks she is. Seeing her flail on center stage in front of the "liberal media elites" as she unwittingly digs herself deeper into her idiot hole would be fantastic...in a horrible way? But what about this campaign isn't already starkly depressing.

Her interview from the other day would certainly be repeated.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #228 on: July 19, 2012, 07:11:52 PM »

Yep. Which is why Romney needs an effective communicator as his Veep.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #229 on: July 19, 2012, 08:01:01 PM »

I still say Portman.

As a CNN guest commentator said the other day-

Portman is as solid as a rock and as safe as a seat belt.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #230 on: July 19, 2012, 08:02:01 PM »

I still say Portman.

Putting Bush on the ballot and risking a Senate seat? I don't think so.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #231 on: July 19, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »

I still say Portman.

Portman was elected to the Senate in 2010.  If Romney/Portman lose Portman continues to be a U.S. Senator.  No Senate seat is at risk.
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #232 on: July 19, 2012, 08:53:23 PM »

I still say Portman.

And Gov Kasich would appoint his successor if Romney were to win.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #233 on: July 20, 2012, 12:22:16 PM »

I think Portman is the best package at this point. T-Paw would be the same low charisma, a little better back story which I think Romney is looking for to campaign on in the rust belt states and win those Reagan democrats back, however he doesn't have foreign policy experience.

Susana Martinez would be great, hispanic woman who is a popular Governor and can work with both parties. She wouldn't overshadow Romney. Problem is she's only in the job for 2 years, but she isn't new to politics.

I'm thinking less and less Jindal now unless Romney wants a revival of the health care debate and make that a defining issue which I don't think he can. In a year and a half he hasn't escaped Romneycare is different enough from Obamacare, people have just stopped talking about that.

I'm not sure Ryan is that great of a choice. High level house member, but, I don't think Romney is bold enough with the leadership capabilities to actually go for entitlement reform.
McDonnell is also a solid choice outside of his thesis and the abortion bill, though it was watered down so you could make an argument that he isn't a radical social conservative at all.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #234 on: July 20, 2012, 03:18:33 PM »

Right now I think the best two choices IMO is: Sen. Richard Burr or Gov. Mary Fallin.
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 1.83

« Reply #235 on: July 24, 2012, 03:40:52 PM »

Romney needs someone straight-forward and unafraid to challenge people to their face - a counter balance to Romney's aloof, "no comment" style. Christie comes to mind, despite inexperience.

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #236 on: July 24, 2012, 03:45:31 PM »

It isn't Christie and that's not Romney's looking for- NYT has a couple of articles on that subject. Romney wants someone of similar temperament.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #237 on: July 24, 2012, 07:37:13 PM »

Romney needs someone straight-forward and unafraid to challenge people to their face - a counter balance to Romney's aloof, "no comment" style. Christie comes to mind, despite inexperience.

In these days of SuperPACs supersaturating the airwaves with with attack ads, the benefits of picking a running mate to be the attack dog of the ticket are minimal.  Being seen as Presidential is far more important, and Christie doesn't project that.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #238 on: July 24, 2012, 10:31:48 PM »

It will be Rudy Giuliani
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #239 on: July 24, 2012, 10:50:53 PM »

That'd be a good pick. Idk how the base would like that though.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #240 on: July 24, 2012, 11:23:00 PM »

It would probably play out well in places like Ohio and Michigan and Pennsylvania though.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #241 on: July 25, 2012, 06:56:31 PM »

Horrible pick. Rudy would drive conservatives away in droves.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #242 on: July 25, 2012, 07:05:23 PM »

If Romney was going to break his no pro-choice promise it would be for Condi, not Rudy.
Darius_Addicus_Gaius
Rookie
United States

« Reply #243 on: July 26, 2012, 11:58:07 PM »

Bob McDonnell- takes VA off the map
Rubio- takes FL off the map
Christie- rallies the conservative base and makes NJ competitive
Kasich- takes OH off the map in all likelyhood
Huntsman- moderate New England ticket never hurt the country but wouldn't be strategic
Jeb Bush- would outshine Romney
Thune- safe pick
Brown- too early in his career
Pawlenty- safe pick
Jindal- safe pick
Daniels- safe pick
Haley- not enough momentum and there are better choices

I thought I would get the basics off of my chest. What do you guys think?
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #244 on: July 27, 2012, 12:58:17 AM »

Bob McDonnell- takes VA off the map Doesn't do much in Virginia, maybe a point or so
Christie- rallies the conservative base and makes NJ competitive New Jersey is not going red anytime soon, even with Christie on the ticket
Kasich- takes OH off the map in all likelyhood really not that popular, he might even hurt him.
Huntsman- moderate New England ticket never hurt the country but wouldn't be strategic Huntsman was Gov. of Utah and was probably the MOST conservative running this year, he just wasn't crazy enough.
Thune- safe pick
Pawlenty- safe pick
Jindal- safe pick
Daniels- safe pick

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #245 on: July 27, 2012, 01:00:54 AM »

Rick Scott as VP...

Romney sweeps every state?
Darius_Addicus_Gaius
Rookie
United States

« Reply #246 on: July 27, 2012, 01:07:17 AM »

Bob McDonnell- takes VA off the map Doesn't do much in Virginia, maybe a point or so
Christie- rallies the conservative base and makes NJ competitive New Jersey is not going red anytime soon, even with Christie on the ticket
Kasich- takes OH off the map in all likelyhood really not that popular, he might even hurt him.
Huntsman- moderate New England ticket never hurt the country but wouldn't be strategic Huntsman was Gov. of Utah and was probably the MOST conservative running this year, he just wasn't crazy enough.
Thune- safe pick
Pawlenty- safe pick
Jindal- safe pick
Daniels- safe pick

Fair enough but I think Ohio and most other states would vote for their governor. McDonnell is a very strong candidate and currently governs VA which is huge though. As for Huntsman he has a home in NH which is really all I was meaning. Plus he's also very moderate so I agree that he wouldn't help too much. I just listed any name that came to my mind. Who do you think would be the safest, most strategic, and most energetic? I'm liking this discussion.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #247 on: July 27, 2012, 11:15:23 AM »

Thune- safe pick
Pawlenty- safe pick
Jindal- safe pick
Daniels- safe pick

Fair enough but I think Ohio and most other states would vote for their governor. McDonnell is a very strong candidate and currently governs VA which is huge though. As for Huntsman he has a home in NH which is really all I was meaning. Plus he's also very moderate so I agree that he wouldn't help too much. I just listed any name that came to my mind. Who do you think would be the safest, most strategic, and most energetic? I'm liking this discussion.

They've done polls showing that Kasich and McDonnell wouldn't help. Has there been anything with Ayotte?
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #248 on: July 27, 2012, 11:17:26 AM »

Thune- safe pick
Pawlenty- safe pick
Jindal- safe pick
Daniels- safe pick

They've done polls showing that Kasich and McDonnell wouldn't help. Has there been anything with Ayotte?

I'm sure there was a New Hampshire poll a while back where Ayotte actually hurt Romney slightly.
Darius_Addicus_Gaius
Rookie
United States

« Reply #249 on: July 27, 2012, 12:04:22 PM »

Thune- safe pick
Pawlenty- safe pick
Jindal- safe pick
Daniels- safe pick

Yes but how many voters are actually aware of the running mates. I think a bigger deal is made by the media than what people actually pay attention to. On election day people will vote for the top half of the ticket.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies