Romney VP search: free-floating speculation and wish list thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:21:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney VP search: free-floating speculation and wish list thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13
Poll
Question: Who should Romney pick as his running mate?
Kelly Ayotte

Richard Burr

Jeb Bush

Chris Christie

Mitch Daniels

Nikki Haley

Mike Huckabee

Bobby Jindal

Susana Martinez

Bob McDonnell

Rand Paul

Tim Pawlenty

Rob Portman

Cathy McMorris Rodgers

Paul Ryan

Rick Santorum

John Thune

Pat Toomey

someone else

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 119

Author Topic: Romney VP search: free-floating speculation and wish list thread  (Read 41332 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2012, 05:20:03 PM »

Paul Ryan, so we get two scoops of boring instead of one.
wan
United States

« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2012, 11:59:41 PM »

I don't think rubio will be selected. Romney won't need him for florida because romney may already have florida in the bag according to most polls in florida.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2012, 06:38:52 PM »

Does anyone really think Portman would help Romney that much in Ohio? He's not an icon in the state or anything. Probably not even that well known. Romney probably needs Ohio to win regardless, so if it's close enough that he needs a savior in the state, he probably has other troubles to worry about.

Same goes for Rubio. If Romney can't win Florida without a Floridian on the ticket, then he probably won't win other states he needs. Rubio and Portman are still obviously in the top tier of potential candidates, but the swing state advantage is exaggerated. OH and FL will both be close and heavily contested no matter what.

I think Ayotte is probably the only potential running mate that could have a significant impact on their swing home state, especially since Romney isn't polling as well in NH as he should be. It's a small state, but could make a difference. Maybe McDonnell could help in VA, but it'd be slight as in OH and FL. Ryan doesn't even represent all of Wisconsin and wouldn't help enough to flip it. Pawlenty isn't making Minnesota competitive.
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2012, 09:53:03 PM »

Smartest choice is Ayotte.  She'll bring in NH, help with women and younger voters. 

Remember, the McCain states plus NC, FL, VA, IN, OH, and NH = 270 EVs.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2012, 05:11:16 PM »

Smartest choice is Ayotte.  She'll bring in NH, help with women and younger voters. 

GLPman
United States

« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2012, 06:25:40 PM »

The only issue is that a GOP ticket with two Northerners might anger much-needed Southern conservatives. The Democrats also might easily be able to associate Ayotte with Palin (Palin campaigned with Ayotte in 2010).
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2012, 10:38:53 PM »

Burr. 

He's well-exposed, midly conservative, comes from a swing state, boring, and is a good speaker.  What more could Romney ask for?
retromike22
United States

« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2012, 01:00:08 AM »

I just thought of this last night. What about...... John McCain?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2012, 01:31:04 AM »

I was shot down for suggesting this a while back. But I actually think it would be an inspired choice that I could get behind. The man may not be the most conservative guy in the world, but he's got some "down home" appeal that makes him a lot more relatable to voters than Romney or Obama.

It'll never happen though.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2012, 02:01:04 AM »

I was shot down for suggesting this a while back. But I actually think it would be an inspired choice that I could get behind. The man may not be the most conservative guy in the world, but he's got some "down home" appeal that makes him a lot more relatable to voters than Romney or Obama.

That'd be a terrible pick.  He really doesn't bring much to the table other than a "down home" appeal, and factoring in his 2008 campaign, he really wouldn't add much to Romney's numbers.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2012, 08:23:05 AM »

That'd be a terrible pick.  He really doesn't bring much to the table other than a "down home" appeal, and factoring in his 2008 campaign, he really wouldn't add much to Romney's numbers.

I think if he picked McCain, there would be a national WTF moment and the party would just stand around confused for at least a few weeks.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2012, 12:30:13 PM »

He doesn't help Romney electorally in any one region, but just as a VP, I think he'd be great. He fills the foreign policy void that Romney needs to fill.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2012, 07:58:19 PM »

He doesn't help Romney electorally in any one region, but just as a VP, I think he'd be great. He fills the foreign policy void that Romney needs to fill.
I like McCain causing hell for Obama in the Senate much much better. 
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2012, 09:53:15 PM »

If Romney picks McCain as his VP, he'll virtually surrender the election to Obama.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2012, 10:08:33 PM »

Burr. 

He's well-exposed, midly conservative, comes from a swing state, boring, and is a good speaker.  What more could Romney ask for?

Voted to repeal the DADT. Therefore he's an evil RINO.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2012, 09:04:51 AM »

Burr. 

If he's going for conservatism, Ryan's your man, but the Dems will rip him apart.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2012, 10:38:49 AM »

Burr. 

If he's going for conservatism, Ryan's your man, but the Dems will rip him apart.

But Joe Biden won't, which is what's important.
milhouse24
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2012, 10:49:08 AM »

Chris Matthews seems to think its going to be Thune.

But that usually means that the most obvious choice won't be it. 
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #93 on: June 18, 2012, 05:43:23 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

He needs a southerner on the ticket. Going with Thune will show that Romney doesn't give a **** about the South.

This is why he should go with Christine O'Donnell.

Obama has not had a single Southerner (black, white, or otherwise) in his cabinet -- probably the first President ever to show so much contempt for a region that holds 30% of the U.S. population.  I think even Lincoln had a Southerner or two (wasn't the slaveowning Blair the Postmaster General?) and he was in war against the South.
Steven Chu is from Missouri.
Also, in cabinet-level departments:
Lisa P. Jackson (EPA administrator) grew up in New Orleans
Ron Kirk (Trade representativE) is from Austin
Austin Goolsbee (the previous Chairman of the Council of Economic Advisors) is from Waco.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2012, 09:11:10 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

He needs a southerner on the ticket. Going with Thune will show that Romney doesn't give a **** about the South.

This is why he should go with Christine O'Donnell.

Obama has not had a single Southerner (black, white, or otherwise) in his cabinet -- probably the first President ever to show so much contempt for a region that holds 30% of the U.S. population.  I think even Lincoln had a Southerner or two (wasn't the slaveowning Blair the Postmaster General?) and he was in war against the South.
Steven Chu is from Missouri.
Also, in cabinet-level departments:
Lisa P. Jackson (EPA administrator) grew up in New Orleans
Ron Kirk (Trade representativE) is from Austin
Austin Goolsbee (the previous Chairman of the Council of Economic Advisors) is from Waco.

Obama appointees = BAD
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2012, 09:33:47 AM »
« Edited: June 19, 2012, 09:37:52 AM by Kalery »

Smartest choice is Ayotte.  She'll bring in NH, help with women and younger voters.  

Picking a relatively young, freshwoman Senator with less than two years in office will inevitably led the voters to one conclusion: Sarah Palin 2.0.

Of course, Ayotte is not Sarah Palin (as much as I disagree with her politically, she's a smart one and relatively accomplished during her career), but most of the voters won't even know who the feck she is. All they would know are: woman, young, recently elected... just like Palin.

Picking Palin for Vice Presidential nominee was a huge setback for the Republican women in politics.

Romney is not stupid to repeat McCain's mistakes (he's good in making mistakes on his own Smiley). Looks like the smartest thing he can do is to pick some boring, white dude indeed.
milhouse24
« Reply #96 on: June 19, 2012, 10:43:52 AM »

Smartest choice is Ayotte.  She'll bring in NH, help with women and younger voters.  

Picking a relatively young, freshwoman Senator with less than two years in office will inevitably led the voters to one conclusion: Sarah Palin 2.0.

Of course, Ayotte is not Sarah Palin (as much as I disagree with her politically, she's a smart one and relatively accomplished during her career), but most of the voters won't even know who the feck she is. All they would know are: woman, young, recently elected... just like Palin.

Picking Palin for Vice Presidential nominee was a huge setback for the Republican women in politics.

Romney is not stupid to repeat McCain's mistakes (he's good in making mistakes on his own Smiley). Looks like the smartest thing he can do is to pick some boring, white dude indeed.

It could actually be a good thing to pick Ayotte.  The GOP has the vast majority of white male voters.  By picking another woman, it might actually bring more white women voters.  The problem with Palin was that she lost a lot of the white male vote.  Another problem with Palin was that being from Alaska, she never dealt with the national media or sunday talk shows.  She may have been a decent governor, but she was never prepared or experienced with the hard-hitting national questions from nyc journalists.  I think Ayotte is smart, a former attorney, and now senator, who is well versed on national issues and legal issues.  She should be capable enough to respond competently to the questions posed to her.  I think she would be a calculated risk that would be very beneficial.  The drawback is her age, its hard to take someone under 45 seriously. 
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: June 19, 2012, 01:11:32 PM »

I think the buzz of an Ayotte pick would be positive and sustainable. While the media would still draw comparisons between her and Palin, I think Ayotte would be able to debunk those comparisons just based on a good performance on the campaign trail

And at that point, people will be surprised and refreshed that she is not Palin, and the excitement would continue from there.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2012, 01:16:58 PM »

It won't be a 20-monther. IMO either Portman or Ryan. Portman has spent more time with Romney but Ryan has by far the best chemistry, so take from that what you will.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2012, 03:17:10 AM »

It won't be a 20-monther. IMO either Portman or Ryan. Portman has spent more time with Romney but Ryan has by far the best chemistry, so take from that what you will.

Portman is a 20-monther. Then again, he does have prior experience in the House...and as Bush's budget director.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies