Romney VP search: free-floating speculation and wish list thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:13:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney VP search: free-floating speculation and wish list thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13
Poll
Question: Who should Romney pick as his running mate?
Kelly Ayotte

Richard Burr

Jeb Bush

Chris Christie

Mitch Daniels

Nikki Haley

Mike Huckabee

Bobby Jindal

Susana Martinez

Bob McDonnell

Rand Paul

Tim Pawlenty

Rob Portman

Cathy McMorris Rodgers

Paul Ryan

Rick Santorum

John Thune

Pat Toomey

someone else

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 119

Author Topic: Romney VP search: free-floating speculation and wish list thread  (Read 41334 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: August 07, 2012, 02:31:36 PM »

what about this guy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Owens_%28Colorado_politician%29
JFK-Democrat
Rookie
United States

« Reply #276 on: August 07, 2012, 08:39:48 PM »

It's either Thune or Rubio. Also, think he is going to announce it by Monday the latest.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #277 on: August 07, 2012, 08:41:13 PM »

It's either Thune or Rubio. Also, think he is going to announce it by Monday the latest.

It'll be neither of those.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #278 on: August 08, 2012, 02:09:50 PM »

corrupt and will never be able to return to politics
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #279 on: August 08, 2012, 02:12:59 PM »

My new list

1. Jindal
2. Thune
3. Ryan
4. Pawlenty
5. Portman
6. Ayotte

While Romney would certainly like to pick Pawlenty or Portman, they really won't move numbers (Pawlenty will slightly more in the rust belt than Portman). I think he'll pick Jindal. Turned around a state, popular with conservatives, historic pick. Yes he's had his response blunder, the exorcism thing, but that's probably better than being called Bush or a failure until November. The problem is he's 5' 8'' and Romney needs to be on stage with him...Height honestly could blow this pick
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #280 on: August 08, 2012, 02:48:59 PM »

My list:

1. Ryan
2. Rubio
3. Christie
4. Thune
5. Martinez
6. Jindal
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #281 on: August 08, 2012, 02:53:12 PM »

1. Rubio
2. Ryan
3. Portman
4. Christie
5. Jindal
6. Pawlenty
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #282 on: August 08, 2012, 03:00:15 PM »

1. Portman
2. Ryan
3. Pawlenty
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #283 on: August 08, 2012, 03:41:41 PM »

Can someone explain again why Sandoval isn't being looked at. Is it true he raised taxes? I thought he just made cuts to the budget. His approvals are high, plus 20 while in the 50s.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #284 on: August 08, 2012, 03:42:53 PM »

Can someone explain again why Sandoval isn't being looked at. Is it true he raised taxes? I thought he just made cuts to the budget. His approvals are high, plus 20 while in the 50s.

Who? Oh yeah, the guy no one's ever heard of who raised taxes, is pro-choice and had his state party cannibalized by Paulites.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #285 on: August 08, 2012, 03:43:25 PM »

Who? Oh yeah, the guy no one's ever heard of who raised taxes, is pro-choice and had his state party cannibalized by Paulites.

Again, when did he raise taxes?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #286 on: August 08, 2012, 04:00:38 PM »

2011-2012 legislative session
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #287 on: August 09, 2012, 09:02:53 PM »

2011-2012 legislative session

Sales, income, corporate, sin tax or something else? Someone could get away with a sin tax, Pawlenty did.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #288 on: August 09, 2012, 09:11:52 PM »
« Edited: August 09, 2012, 09:36:59 PM by Politico »

My take: The ticket needs a safe choice with humble Midwestern roots in order to help penetrate Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa and perhaps Minnesota. That leaves five candidates: Portman, Daniels, Ryan, Thune and Pawlenty.

Portman and Daniels are too closely associated with the Bush Administration. Either one is a HUGE mistake, if you ask me and many others. Besides, Portman does not have the humblest of Midwestern roots (his father was very well-off by the time Portman was a teenager, much like the case of Romney).

Even though I think Ryan would be the best VP of the bunch, he is too young and youthful-looking. Most importantly, he is too likely to scare too many seniors due to the Medicare imbroglio and his youthful appearance.

My conclusion: It's Thune or Pawlenty. Since Thune's name is no longer being thrown around much, which is also what happened with Biden and Palin (who reportedly beat out Pawlenty), I say it's Thune. Also, it's funny how no other individual in the poll beats Thune. I am guessing a similar poll in the Romney campaign is producing the same result, although obviously the final choice is Romney's to make. For what it's worth, Thune is a conservative, but not an ideologue, which is in line with Romney's personality.

Addendum: Let's not forget that Pawlenty coined "Obamneycare," has a gubernatorial record that can be directly compared with Romney's (not necessarily a good thing), and has no foreign policy experience. Thune has none of these downsides. In fact, I cannot think of a single downside to Thune other than his home state already being a lock (which he makes up for with his humble, Midwestern roots, which will play well and be a valuable asset in states like Iowa, Wisconsin, Ohio, Michigan, etc.). With that said, no running mate has truly "delivered" their home state since LBJ, so that effect is overrated IMHO.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #289 on: August 09, 2012, 09:23:17 PM »

This is my first and likely only post in this thread.

He should pick Pawlenty. And I think he will.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #290 on: August 09, 2012, 09:35:47 PM »

Tier 1
Pawlenty and Jindal. Everyone has their faults, but these guys have the least of imperfections. Pawlenty was never popular, did some flipping (nothing compared to Romney) and Jindal with his exorcism (will the public really vote on that after a campaign centering around it for 3 months? That's not going to happen). Jindal is the choice if Romney wants healthcare near the center of the platform- Jindal is the perfect Repeal and Replace candidate, the thing is Romneycare is seen by the public as close to Obamacare don't give me arguments from I love Romney people, that's the what the public sees and he hasn't changed it in two years, he's not going to change it now. Pawlenty is just the most boring out of everyone besides Portman and is truly the perfect Romney stumper. Does he actually want him as VP? Does he broaden the base? Pawlenty I believe is the safest pick, even more than Portman

Tier 2
Portman- Bush
Ryan- Seniors
McDonnell- Abortion
Thune- Wind

These are great potential picks who have major fallbacks. Romney can overcome it if he wants, but he's a conservative strategist who is not bold enough for a fight like say in Paul Ryan's case. If he wants it, he can flip perception and win, but I think Romney is too timid a candidate to want to do that. Thune with wind, Romney's already far in the hole there, what is going to do with the guy who's always been for wind credits. Portman is an extension of George Bush no denying it, especially the budget. No, it wasn't Portman's administration, he wasn't calling the shots, he didn't start the wars, but it will be there. McDonnell on abortion, Colorado is under attack by pro-choice people and Obama is waging the war on women card. Romney can't pick McDonnell unless he has some balls for a fight and throughout the primaries it's been clear that everyone hates Romney on abortion both pro-choice and pro-life, does he really want to end up like Ken Buck when the campaign should be about the economy?

Tier 3
The odd balls who tend to have the best people, but Romney is most afraid of picking. Ayotte, who really doesn't bring anything to the ticket but is loyal and could make a quick attack early in the game when people think she'll be as dumb as Palin on TV, but that's all Romney will get from her. Sandoval, his numbers could flip Nevada, he can help win the southwest, but again, Romney needs to be ready for a fight- this time immigration. Martinez, same as Sandoval, only approved by all conservatives, and would be more historic. Rubio, has financial problems, but would fire the base. Then again, does the country want a convention in Tampa with the Vice President being from Florida? Rice, yes nobody is looking at her anymore but she makes up Romney's foreign policy deficit which is embarrassing. Romney shouldn't be down 10 in CO and IA on foreign policy to Obama. Yes she's pro-choice, but I think her pro-choiceness would hurt a lot less than Sandoval, she has amazing numbers I'm sure you've seen the remarkable number shifts when she's on the ticket in PPP polls all across the board. Petraeus, everyone loves him, but Romney would never ask nor would Petraeus accept probably.

In the end, it looks like Pawlenty unless Romney grows a pair and decides he wants to win which involves risk and actually fighting.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #291 on: August 09, 2012, 09:42:24 PM »
« Edited: August 09, 2012, 09:48:24 PM by Politico »

Thune with wind, Romney's already far in the hole there, what is going to do with the guy who's always been for wind credits.

If that is the biggest downside, it's a no-brainer to go with Thune. Independents tend to love wind energy, but federal subsidies for alternative energy is very low on the priority list for most everybody not solidly in the Obama column (I'd guess it's second only to gay marriage on the priority list of undecideds).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

True. Would be even better than Ryan. What a shame.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #292 on: August 09, 2012, 09:48:58 PM »

I still say Mitt should go with Condi.

Talk about a bold choice.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #293 on: August 10, 2012, 11:06:31 AM »

I still say Mitt should go with Condi.

Talk about a bold choice.

Romney is already suicidal enough.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #294 on: August 10, 2012, 02:39:24 PM »

Romney and Myers have done a spectacular job of making sure nothing has ever been leaked. Why is the world assuming it's between Portman, Ryan, and Pawlenty. Sure, they are choices, but there are other safe choices in the country that nobody in the news or blogs have looked at seriously. Why do we assume it's probably one of them and that Romney isn't seriously considering underdogs who aren't Palin types, but simply under the radar on the VP search?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #295 on: August 10, 2012, 02:43:17 PM »

My take: The ticket needs a safe choice with humble Midwestern roots in order to help penetrate Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa and perhaps Minnesota. That leaves five candidates: Portman, Daniels, Ryan, Thune and Pawlenty.
[...]
Since when is Paul Ryan a "safe" pick?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #296 on: August 10, 2012, 05:44:35 PM »

Not to be confused with my tier groupings. This is just groups in order it looks Romney will pick with the latest news.

Group 1
Ryan, Portman, Jindal

Group 2
McDonnell, Thune

Group 3
Pawlenty

Group 4
Anyone else

If it isn't chosen by the first stop in Florida, then McDonnell is 99% out for sure.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #297 on: August 10, 2012, 06:20:15 PM »

[...]
Since when is Paul Ryan a "safe" pick?

He's not, as I have already argued. I made a mistake. I should have qualified the last sentence with "that arguably leaves five candidates..."
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #298 on: August 10, 2012, 06:46:03 PM »

I wonder how high Rick Perry woulda been on the list if he hadn't had that embarrassing campaign.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #299 on: August 10, 2012, 06:55:29 PM »

I wonder how high Rick Perry woulda been on the list if he hadn't had that embarrassing campaign.
Well he wouldn't even be on the list, as he'd be the one doing the Veep search Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies