Threads of no value......
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:55:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Threads of no value......
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Threads of no value......  (Read 1651 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 26, 2012, 11:16:58 AM »

Mikado's reason for locking the first kiss thread.....it had no value.

Please enlighten me as to what threads on the FC or OT Boards have any value whatsoever? 

Dave should just eliminate them if value is required......of course perhaps they do have value.....someplace to dump your sh**t so that you don't dump it in the political boards.

Seriously, men, I could care less about that thread...but the comment (and I've heard it before from Inks and Mik here) that the threads are "useless" or a "waste"? Uh, guys that's the purpose of these boards. 

Carry on.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 04:21:56 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2012, 04:39:41 PM by Torie »

I think what was meant was that the content was at once bordering on the risque, and the quality of the posts given the topic sucked (perhaps including a couple of mine Tongue ) . So between borderline inappropriateness, and low quality, Mikado pulled the plug. You can see the quality element in play, because then that gay Aussie put up a thread considerably more risque, but with a lot more quality, and what he got was kudos rather than brickbats.

In the end of course,  mods each have their own style, no matter how much one might try/wish to stamp it out, because they're human with their own aesthetics and values.  (If I were a mod, you can bank on it, that whatever Board I had would not be a friendly place for those who indulge in personally attacking other posters - that is just where my aesthetics lie, and on that issue, my dress code would be strict, while on some other stuff, probably more laid back maybe.) That is why in my suggestion of moving to a three strike regime in lieu of a death point regime, I mentioned that for some of this, posters might want to consider doing their more edgy thing on Boards where the mod in residence's style gives them more running room than on a Board where the mod(s) have a stricter dress code on matters where a poster prefers to go casual.

Ah yes, the concept of  "quality" is a difficult one. The philosophical novel, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, spent a lot of time on that word, and what it means, and in the end, realized that totally getting one's arms around it was well - futile. Yet the concept will always be with us, and attend our lives, and in everything we do. No matter how much we might wish otherwise, there is no escape from ambiguity sometimes.  
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 04:26:54 PM »

Mikado has long been one of our worst moderators.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 04:58:50 PM »

Mikado has long been one of our worst moderators.

neurotics make poor moderators.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 05:05:22 PM »

Mikado was a swell guy before his promotion.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 05:54:39 PM »

This thread wasn't intended to tee of on Mik and Inks but if they want to moderate a board with value these two arent the ones, that's all.  It's by design.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 06:07:03 PM »

This thread wasn't intended to tee of on Mik and Inks but if they want to moderate a board with value these two arent the ones, that's all.  It's by design.

I don't think any of the other mods are eager to exchange their boards with Inks and Mikado for OT and FC.  I suspect it's considered hardship duty. FC is about the personal, but sometimes it gets too personal maybe, and on and on it goes. By design, the Boards can get edgy, and that is where the heavy lifting comes in.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 06:57:42 PM »

The Mikado is a good poster/person but is by far the worst moderator.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 08:34:30 PM »

I'm of the opinion that the forum community boards should be deleted in order to speed up The Atlas.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 11:36:03 PM »

The Mikado is a good poster/person but is by far the worst moderator.
And Inks, I don't differentiate between the two.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 11:37:34 PM »

I'm of the opinion that the forum community boards should be deleted in order to speed up The Atlas.

Then quit being a hypocrite and posting in them.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 08:39:52 AM »

a 'solution' which I posited a while back is to reserve the Community boards as a 'free speech zone', very lightly moderated, but shut off from Google indexing and only viewable by non-guests.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies