what type of legislator is your congresscritter?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:04:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  what type of legislator is your congresscritter?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: what type of legislator is your congresscritter?  (Read 5971 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2012, 08:43:36 PM »

if you guys are discussing whose district you will next be put in, then I might as well too. Assuming he wins re-election (which is almost guaranteed) my next rep will be Henry Waxman. He's definitely of the lawmaker variety. He's been in office for 38 years and has chaired two committees.

What hood do you live in, if I may ask?  I know them all - intimately. Smiley
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2012, 09:15:59 PM »

both my old district (Hinojosa) and my new district (Canseco) seem like reluctants, the former moreso than the latter.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2012, 09:19:11 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2012, 09:21:43 PM by SoEA SJoyceFla »

Rep. C.W. "Bill" Young: lawmaker; he's been up there for 40 some years, a good chunk of that time (20 years?) on Appropriations (I believe his record is $167 mil to his district in pork in a year).

Senator C.W. "Bill" Nelson: lawmaker; seems to be a pragmatist and a moderate.

Senator Marco Rubio: advertiser, tea party darling, etc, etc, etc.

We live in the same district!

How? Your profile says you live in Tampa, and the 10th (Young's) is the entirely-Pinellas one; Tampa is mostly Castor's 11th with a bit in Bilirakis's 9th.

State Senator Dennis L. Jones: Lawmaker, longest-serving member of the FL Senate, Dean, etc.

State Rep. Rick Kriseman: Advertiser (Probably of them my favorite Rep., and he would be a lawmaker, but it's the Florida House, and Democrats don't make laws here).
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2012, 12:10:27 AM »

if you guys are discussing whose district you will next be put in, then I might as well too. Assuming he wins re-election (which is almost guaranteed) my next rep will be Henry Waxman. He's definitely of the lawmaker variety. He's been in office for 38 years and has chaired two committees.

Manhattan Beach. Pretty much a mix of liberal counterculture types and residual wasp republicanism.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2012, 01:27:21 AM »

Here's mine:

Jaime Herrera Beutler: Backbencher/irrelevant to the extreme. Honestly I think that while she is well intentioned that she has no clue what she is doing. Thank god redistricting put me in the new WA-10
Future: Denny Heck (assumed, but a pretty safe assumption): definitely a lawmaker, he is the sort of guy who should be able to work behind the scenes to get things passed.

Senators:
Cantwell: Lawmaker
Murray: Mix between lawmaker and an advertiser
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2012, 03:40:07 AM »

CDU. Supposed to be of the "social" wing according to what intraparty organizations etc he's a member of, but, well, I basically never heard of him before the election campaign (new candidate back then) and he's been heard of no more than once or twice in the three years since. Perfectly irrelevant backbencher.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2012, 05:29:19 AM »

Going with both OK-1 and OK-5 here:

John Sullivan (OK-1)Sad Calling him "reluctant" makes no GD sense, but calling him "backbencher defined" makes perfect sense.  The most press worthy thing this guy has ever done is go into rehab, which should say a lot about how relevant he is.
James Lankford (OK-5)Sad An urban reluctant.  Frankly, I've never heard of this guy despite living in the district he represents since he got into office.  He's done nothing, NOTHING, note worthy, hasn't stepped on any toes, and the most noteworthy thing mentioned on his wikipedia page is "bible this, bible that.  He is married to a woman and they have two girls."  So yeah, big freaking deal.
Senator Tom Coburn: Definitely a lawmaker.  Despite his ideological grandstanding in election years Coburn is actually one of the more pragmatic Oklahoma politicians (which isn't really saying much being from the same state as James Inhofe and Sally Kern).  The man is in Washington to get results.
That isn't to say, however, that I love the guy and think he's great.
Senator James Inhofe: Assclown Advertiser.  Words can't describe how much of a buttmonkey this guy is.  I mean really, he would be better suited as one of the flying monkeys in the Wizard of Ozz than he would be at US Senator.  I mean really, who the hell uses an exploded picture of their family as an argument for the Defense of Marriage Act?  WHO THE HELL DOES THAT!?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2012, 08:46:13 AM »

Joe Pitts (R-PA 16)Sad Advertiser to the core. Helped stick in Stupak-Pitts, and abortion seems to be the only issue he cares out.

Pat Toomey:
Quite the legislator, actually. I dislike what he's worked on, but by an unbiased measure he's a good Senator.

Bob Casey: Seems like something of a backbencher; he's a dull speaker who doesn't talk often.
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2012, 12:39:30 PM »

Idaho
Sen Mike Crapo (R)- lawmaker
Sen Jim Risch (R)- Lawmaker
Rep Raul Labrador (R-Id-1) -a Advertiser
Wilder
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2012, 05:17:39 PM »

Michigan
Senator Debbie Stabenow- Hm. She's important to the FARM bill(Chairs the Agriculture Committee), but other than that, she's just a backbencher.
Senator Carl Levin- He Chairs the Armed Services Committee, and is quite an expert in that area. Far better than Stabenow, though he's still a liberal. He's pretty much a backbencher though, almost always in lockstep with his party.
Thaddeus McCotter- He's a pretty good legislator. He offers good solutions. I like him a lot actually. However, he backbenches, though he's pretty conservative. He was against SOPA, which I like. He's the most grandstander of the whole bunch though Tongue
Rooney
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2012, 07:47:20 PM »

The type of congressperson Tom Latham is is a "Republican." He is a 64-year old white protestant man from a small Iowa town who combs his hair to the left side of his head, wears striped red neck ties, graduated college with a degree in business, owned a business, talks in a monotone baritone voice, belongs to all the right church groups and wants to ban online poker. Yes, I think he may be the most "Republican" of any member of congress. This is also why I have never voted for him.   
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2012, 08:56:46 AM »

Manhattan Beach. Pretty much a mix of liberal counterculture types and residual wasp republicanism.

Indeed - and expensive as hell. Smiley
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2012, 01:50:04 AM »

Jo Ann Emerson is more than likely a reluctant/backburner. I think she only ran because the Republican establishment in Cape Girardeau urged her to do so following the death of her husband, Bill Emerson (granted, she ran as an Independent the first time). Although she's remarried to a Democratic labor union guy named Ron Gladney and lives in St. Louis, I'd consider her one of the more sane Republicans in Washington following the teabagging of the Republican Party. She's reached across the aisle, and several Democrats here in the district vote for her because of her votes for agriculture, which is very big in rural Southeast Missouri. She's being teabagged by some unknown guy named Bob Parker, but this seat is hers to hold until she retires or dies. Jesus could run as a Democrat and would still lose to her in a landslide.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2012, 05:20:06 AM »

The nonentity type.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2012, 11:04:32 PM »

Joe Wilson is a dependable Republican vote whose most significant accomplishment since winning a 2001 special election was to accuse Obama of lying during his address to Congress concerning health care.
CT27
Rookie
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2012, 12:29:34 AM »

Norm Dicks (WA-6) is kind of a jerk on a personal level, but I'll give him credit and refer to him as a "lawmaker".
Seattle
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2012, 11:49:20 AM »

Norm Dicks (WA-6) is kind of a jerk on a personal level, but I'll give him credit and refer to him as a "lawmaker".

He reminds me of the stereotypical highschool bully... at least that's what I imagine him as a kid.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2012, 04:11:59 PM »

Senator Thad Cochran--lawmaker

Senator Roger Wicker--backbencher, will one day be a lawmaker (probs will retire in 2018, though)

Rep. Gregg Harper--back bencher
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2012, 12:09:47 AM »

Lawmakers don't truly exist in Australia.

Current one: Advertiser (leader of the House business, but not the PM or the Speaker)
Former one: Advertiser (cabinet minister)
Dad's one: Backbencher

State:

Current one: Advertiser (when they were still in government she was the Deputy Premier)
Former one: Hard to say (3rd party MP), probably advertiser
Dad's one: Backbencher (only won due to the big wave that hit NSW)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2012, 06:40:19 PM »

Federally: Backbencher (NDP frosh)
Provincially: Advertiser (Justice Minister)
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2012, 09:50:50 AM »
« Edited: June 17, 2012, 09:56:21 AM by Le changement! C'est maintenant! »

A lawmaking Tory-in-Labour-clothing. An advertiser for his own agenda maybe.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2012, 03:14:34 PM »

Jouse Rep. John Sullivan (R): Advertiser... promotes how conservative he is when it comes to election time, but really is in and out of rehab when he is in office.

Senator Tom Coburn (R): Advertiser/Lawmaker, probably one of the more principled conservatives out there, even if he does ridicolous things now and then.

Senator Jim Inhofe (R): Advertiser... very average in terms of input in the Senate, but when it comes to conservative ideology IS SO CONSERVATIVE IT HURTS, which of course, in my state, is the thing you say that gets you elected.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies