what type of legislator is your congresscritter? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:33:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  what type of legislator is your congresscritter? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: what type of legislator is your congresscritter?  (Read 6053 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« on: May 26, 2012, 05:17:36 PM »

something i learned in polisci class years ago is that people in a legislature (whether it be state or national) are in three camps: Advertisers, Reluctants and Lawmakers.

An advertiser is someone who is there to promote an ideology and many times could care less about the legislating part and are more rhetoric oriented than results.

A reluctant is someone who often comes from a rural or poor area where no one else wanted to run for the position so they were kind of asked to do so. They do what they're supposed to do and isn't well known and doesn't try to attract attention. Very much a "shut up and vote" type person.

A lawmaker is the "20% that does 80%." These people have often been there for decades and know how the game works and works hard to try to get legislation passed.

For myself, here is how I would classify them

U.S. House Rep: Janice Hahn. She's been there for less than a year and know next to nothing about her

Senator (I): Dianne Feinstein. Probably a lawmaker.

Senator (II): Barbara Boxer: kind of borderline between an advertiser and lawmaker.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 05:30:53 PM »

I don't think there is such a thing as a "reluctant" member of Congress.

well maybe a better term is "backbencher" or "invisible". An example of someone would be like Tom Latham of Iowa or Bob Aderholt of Alabama.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 07:53:18 PM »

if you guys are discussing whose district you will next be put in, then I might as well too. Assuming he wins re-election (which is almost guaranteed) my next rep will be Henry Waxman. He's definitely of the lawmaker variety. He's been in office for 38 years and has chaired two committees.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 12:10:27 AM »

if you guys are discussing whose district you will next be put in, then I might as well too. Assuming he wins re-election (which is almost guaranteed) my next rep will be Henry Waxman. He's definitely of the lawmaker variety. He's been in office for 38 years and has chaired two committees.

What hood do you live in, if I may ask?  I know them all - intimately. Smiley

Manhattan Beach. Pretty much a mix of liberal counterculture types and residual wasp republicanism.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies