Homebuilders are busy once again in Las Vegas (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:10:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Homebuilders are busy once again in Las Vegas (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Homebuilders are busy once again in Las Vegas  (Read 3310 times)
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« on: May 27, 2012, 03:38:30 PM »

No, why would I go there ? To get killed by the sun and rattlesnakes ?

B) Aren't they running out of water there at some point in the next few years if this growth continues ?

Two feasible solutions have been proposed:

1. A pipeline that feeds from a deeper point in Lake Mead can be constructed, given that the current ones will soon start sucking air if the water levels continue to drop.

2. A pipeline that feeds from the underground water tables upstate can be built.  Expensive, and the rural communities are already manning the trenches in opposition, but I can see this happening in the next few decades anyway.

Also, a law was passed back in 2006 banning new houses from having lawns or gardens that require water to maintain.

What about a pipeline from the Pacific Ocean to Las Vegas ?
This would be incredibly expensive, and desalination would be incredible expensive again. I think a better solution would be to ban green lawns in Phoenix, Tuscon and Las Vegas outside of Public parks.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 11:26:27 PM »

This is not good.

A) Which sicko wants to live in a desert ?

B) Aren't they running out of water there at some point in the next few years if this growth continues ?

A) Me.  I'd love to live there.  LOW humidity and sitting by the pool at 90 degrees with a 5% humidity is awesome.

You can have humidity that low?  As a resident of South Carolina's 2nd Congressional District, I say that "You Lie!"

Chapped lips, guys.  Chapped lips and premature wrinkling.

As for the subject of the thread - it is really astounding that they are building homes again.  I would have thought the only homes to be built nowadays would be for the very high-end luxury market - say at least 800,000-1,000,000 dollar plus houses (double that for CA, etc.).  This income bracket is doing well as is this housing bracket.  But everything below is sheer deflation.

Upper middle class neighborhoods in Socal are in rather pronounced price upswing at the moment actually. I even see signs of life out in the desert in those gated golfing communities. Indio however is still prostrate.
http://goo.gl/maps/GnIo
Could this be why?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 05:16:41 PM »

This is not good.

A) Which sicko wants to live in a desert ?

A) Me.  I'd love to live there.  LOW humidity and sitting by the pool at 90 degrees with a 5% humidity is awesome.

You can have humidity that low?  As a resident of South Carolina's 2nd Congressional District, I say that "You Lie!"

Chapped lips, guys.  Chapped lips and premature wrinkling.

As for the subject of the thread - it is really astounding that they are building homes again.  I would have thought the only homes to be built nowadays would be for the very high-end luxury market - say at least 800,000-1,000,000 dollar plus houses (double that for CA, etc.).  This income bracket is doing well as is this housing bracket.  But everything below is sheer deflation.

Upper middle class neighborhoods in Socal are in rather pronounced price upswing at the moment actually. I even see signs of life out in the desert in those gated golfing communities. Indio however is still prostrate.
http://goo.gl/maps/GnIo
Could this be why?

No one commutes to Indio, probably not even from Riverside or San Bernardino. Rather the area is a retirement community which creates some jobs, there is substantial farming close by, and there was also a substantial boom there in housing. Those jobs building the houses are gone now and the neighborhoods where those construction workers would live are still in trouble. The more wealthier areas there which would mostly be purchased by retirees seem to be doing ok now. That area overall has a lot of income inequality. It's GINI coefficient would be very high.
Yea nobody commutes to Indio, but people commute from it to Riverside and San Bernandino at least, right?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies