Which state legislatures will flip control in the 2012 elections?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:49:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Which state legislatures will flip control in the 2012 elections?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Which state legislatures will flip control in the 2012 elections?  (Read 9186 times)
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2012, 06:40:21 AM »
« edited: May 29, 2012, 11:25:14 AM by greenforest32 »

The current partisan control of state legislatures following the 2010, 2011 elections: http://www.ncsl.org/legislatures-elections/elections/statevote-2011.aspx

Lots of gerrymanders have gone through but for shifts in control I could see:

Legislature flips to Democrats - Seems likely for Democrats to win Colorado, Oregon, Minnesota, and Maine. Iowa and New Hampshire might be possible too. There's also New York but I've heard the state senate gerrymander makes it unlikely?

Legislature flips to Republicans - I think they have shots in Alaska, Arkansas, and Kentucky.

Legislature flips to split - Don't see many chambers flipping outside of Michigan, Wisconsin (already split 16-16 in its senate following the recalls and more are coming up), and Indiana but I'm not familiar with these redistrictings. Were they redrawn anything like the maps for Ohio, Pennsylvania, and North Carolina that have likely given Republicans control for 10 years in those states?

What do you think? And what actually happens in Nebraska's non-partisan, unicameral legislature? Tongue
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 06:47:42 AM »

Generally agree with Democratic and Republican targets, but not splits:  redisitricting in almost all those states was a Republican gerrytmandering, so -  Republican majorities are likely to be preserved for decade (except, may be, in wave years). Republican unicameral legislature is, technically, nonpartisan, but practically - Republican with about 2:1 Republican majority.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 11:07:04 AM »

2012 will have to be a Dem landslide year for PA to have a shot at going "Split" (House going to the Dems) and even then, I wouldn't bet on it happening. After the 2008 election, the GOP only had a net loss of two seats.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 11:27:51 AM »

Ohio is pretty much the same way. 2012 would have to be a Democratic landslide for the Democrats to take the House. The Senate would be virtually impossible for the Democrats to take in 2012 even though it has less lopsided partisan statistics by district because only half of it is up for re-election and it's currently 23-10 Republican. The Democrats did control the Ohio House from 2009-2011 but lost in redistricting badly, as most of the heavily Democratic inner-city areas lost population,  so it would tough for them to repeat that feat.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 11:40:26 AM »

For CA to flip would require massive vote fraud.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 11:42:32 AM »

Democrats take Minnesota, Oregon, Colorado, Maine, New Hampshire and Iowa, while Republicans take Alaska.  Democrats take the Michigan state House and possibly the New York State Senate as well.  Maybe the Arizona House for Democrats too. 
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 11:44:38 AM »

The current partisan control of state legislatures following the 2010, 2011 elections: http://www.ncsl.org/legislatures-elections/elections/statevote-2011.aspx

Lots of gerrymanders have gone through but for shifts in control I could see:

Legislature flips to Democrats - Seems likely for Democrats to win Colorado, Oregon, Minnesota, and Maine. Iowa and New Hampshire might be possible too. There's also New York but I've heard the state senate gerrymander makes it unlikely?

Legislature flips to Republicans - I think they have shots in Alaska, Arkansas, and Kentucky.

Legislature flips to split - Don't see many chambers flipping outside of Michigan, Wisconsin (already split 16-16 in its senate following the recalls and more are coming up), and Indiana but I'm not familiar with these redistrictings. Were they redrawn anything like the maps for Ohio, Pennsylvania, and North Carolina that have likely given Republicans control for 10 years in those states?

What do you think? And what actually happens in Nebraska's non-partisan, unicameral legislature? Tongue

If Republicans couldnt even get close in the Kentucky House in the 2010 wave, they wont in 2012.  The New York State Senate still has a lot of Republicans in 55%+ Obama districts.  Jim Alesi just retired in a 55% Obama seat near Rochester and they have a couple of seats on Long Island and the NYC suburbs that will be very tough to hold as well.
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 12:07:06 PM »

Yeah, now that I look at the partisan distribution trend of the KY legislature, a 2012 flip does look unlikely: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_party_strength_in_Kentucky

I wasn't really sure about Arizona either. Was the 2000 census round of redistricting there heavily favored to Republicans (R-trifecta?) to the point that the maps the AZ redistricting commission passed gives Democrats a chance in either/both chambers this year?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 12:30:37 PM »

Yeah, now that I look at the partisan distribution trend of the KY legislature, a 2012 flip does look unlikely: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_party_strength_in_Kentucky

I wasn't really sure about Arizona either. Was the 2000 census round of redistricting there heavily favored to Republicans (R-trifecta?) to the point that the maps the AZ redistricting commission passed gives Democrats a chance in either/both chambers this year?

Yes, this time, the commission picked the Dem leaning maps. 
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 10:32:18 PM »

Arkansas should be fine; the Democrats there aren't exactly progressive. Kentucky's split legislatures will both hold their respective houses, and Alaska currently has a strong Democratic advantage for whatever reason. The GOP overstretched in 2010, it seems. Democrats won't win the heavily gerrymandered New York State Senate, and will definitely win back Minnesota. PA's House could potentially flip, but like Phil I wouldn't count on it.
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 11:03:44 PM »

What about the Wisconsin House? What are the new state legislature maps like there?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 01:42:25 AM »

As gerrymandered as the NY Senate is, there are more than just a couple seats the Republicans hold that on paper they really just shouldn't. The bigger problems for the Democrats there is that ID caucus, and that conservadem in the Bronx who just likes to troll his party and be like Joe Lieberman times ten.

The Minnesota GOP holds many seats not winnable in a non-wave year, the state party is broke, and their legislative leaders are less popular than Rick Scott and John Kasich are in their respective states. It's going to take a massive turnaround for them to hold.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 03:45:37 PM »

I don't think NH flips unless Obama's winning in a landslide.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 12:26:13 PM »

I don't think NH flips unless Obama's winning in a landslide.

There are LOT of Republicans(probably close to 100) in New Hampshire that won only because they had an R after there name in 2010. 
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 12:29:17 PM »

As gerrymandered as the NY Senate is, there are more than just a couple seats the Republicans hold that on paper they really just shouldn't. The bigger problems for the Democrats there is that ID caucus, and that conservadem in the Bronx who just likes to troll his party and be like Joe Lieberman times ten.

The Alesi in the Rochester suburbs is 55% Obama and open.  Democrats will have a good chance to pick that up.  There is also SD-07 where the Republican only won by like 300 votes in 2010 and wasnt changed much in redistricting.  Then there is SD-38(?), where Greg Ball won by just 51%-49% in a GOP wave year and actually got bluer in redistricting.  Winning these three seats alone would get Democrats back to a 32-31 majority(since the GOP gave themselves a 63rd seat in redistricting).
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 01:14:25 AM »
« Edited: August 23, 2012, 04:07:26 AM by greenforest32 »

This is like the first article in months covering the topic: http://www.governing.com/blogs/politics/gov-state-legislature-ratings.html

It's not that in-depth and their prediction map has a stupid layout but I guess it's something.

Never mind about the map, it was a plugin from my web browser messing things up Tongue
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 02:03:06 AM »

The 2010 elections really were do or die for Democrats.  Losing so many state legislatures likely means being in the minority in Congress and in most state legislatures for at least a generation.  That's what Democrats get when they elect a Democratic President who cares more about himself then the party. 
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 10:05:32 PM »

This is like the first article in months covering the topic: http://www.governing.com/blogs/politics/gov-state-legislature-ratings.html

It's not that in-depth and their prediction map has a stupid layout but I guess it's something.

Never mind about the map, it was a plugin from my web browser messing things up Tongue

They seem to be a bit too conservative in expecting incumbents to lose, at least in Minnesota. They're right that the House is more likely to flip than the Senate, but it's tough to see the GOP holding either. And the mention of redistricting is weird since the map was drawn by a court, population redistribution may help the Republicans a little, but they still hold too many seats that they really shouldn't be able to outside a wave year on paper.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2012, 04:04:22 AM »

Fun fact: after the Wisconsin recalls, the Wisconsin State Senate is currently controlled by Democrats.

However, the Republicans are fairly favored to take back the Senate before a Democrat majority Senate ever gets to actually convene.
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 09:03:46 AM »

The 2010 elections really were do or die for Democrats.  Losing so many state legislatures likely means being in the minority in Congress and in most state legislatures for at least a generation.  That's what Democrats get when they elect a Democratic President who cares more about himself then the party. 

I could see a decade but a generation? There's always the ability to break a gerrymander through split control such as electing a Governor from the opposing party. For example I think Pennsylvania/Michigan Republicans would lose quite a few seats in 2022 if a Democrat won the 2018 gubernatorial election(s) and vetoed the 2020 gerrymander till a court drew the map.

Do agree 2010 was quite painful for Democrats in redistricting. Ohio (if the redistricting initiative fails), North Carolina, Indiana (and probably Wisconsin) are a few new states out of reach due to the new maps.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2012, 03:20:51 PM »

I could see a decade but a generation? There's always the ability to break a gerrymander through split control such as electing a Governor from the opposing party. For example I think Pennsylvania/Michigan Republicans would lose quite a few seats in 2022 if a Democrat won the 2018 gubernatorial election(s) and vetoed the 2020 gerrymander till a court drew the map.

Do agree 2010 was quite painful for Democrats in redistricting. Ohio (if the redistricting initiative fails), North Carolina, Indiana (and probably Wisconsin) are a few new states out of reach due to the new maps.

The key to coming back in Ohio is to sweep the statewide offices in 2018, which would allow Democrats to get control of the reapportionment board and redraw the state legislative districts which would give them a good chance to control the state House and even the Senate for the first time since 1982. 

Wisconsin could be fixed by Democrats electing a governor in 2018.

All of the Republican governors elected in the 2010 wave will be term limited out in 2018, giving Democrats a chance to make big gains there just in time for the 2021 redistricting.  Democrats should hope that GOP President is elected in 2016 and becomes very unpopular in 2018. 

greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 07:47:33 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2012, 07:49:04 PM by greenforest32 »

Another article on this though it's not as broad as that last one: http://www.pewstates.org/projects/stateline/headlines/democrats-seeking-comeback-in-state-legislatures-85899415634

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Were the New Hampshire maps like those other states' too?
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2012, 04:06:22 PM »

http://www.pewstates.org/projects/stateline/headlines/arizona-conservatives-face-triple-threat-85899419570

I could see the state legislature flipping sometime this decade. I don't think 2012 will be the year but November could be surprising in Arizona. Republicans will lose their 2/3 super-majority at the least.
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2012, 10:07:20 PM »

The answers so far: http://www.ncsl.org/legislatures-elections/elections/statevote.aspx

Legislature flips to Democrats (5) - Colorado (H), Oregon (H), Minnesota (H, S), Maine (H, S), New York (S).

Legislature flips to Republicans (2, 3 if you count WI's recalls) - Alaska (S), Arkansas (H, S), Wisconsin (S).

Legislature flips to split (1) - New Hampshire (H).

Projected post-2012 results partisan control map:

Benj

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2012, 10:31:42 PM »

Awesome, Minnesota flipped back! That means we won't see the anti-gay marriage amendment again in 2013 or 2014, when IMO it would have a much better chance of passing (due to different turnout models in off years).

Also, NY Senate is not at all certain yet. Democrats won one race by only 140 votes, so that might change. The Democrat who defeated David Storobin has threatened to caucus with Republicans if he doesn't get a bunch of pretty unreasonable socially conservative demands. Plus it's always possible to buy someone off, like the Republicans did with Pedro Espada and his cohorts a few years ago.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies