NY-Quinnipiac: Gov. Cuomo (D) sets post 9/11 approval ratings record (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:24:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-Quinnipiac: Gov. Cuomo (D) sets post 9/11 approval ratings record (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NY-Quinnipiac: Gov. Cuomo (D) sets post 9/11 approval ratings record  (Read 11418 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« on: June 02, 2012, 01:06:14 AM »

He is definitely a moderate hero for talking tough on redistricting, and then signing the usual horrible Republican gerrymander of the state Senate into law.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 04:33:09 AM »

He is definitely a moderate hero for talking tough on redistricting, and then signing the usual horrible Republican gerrymander of the state Senate into law.
He was forced to cave by his own party. It is tough to get the better end of the powers that be in New York.

He could have vetoed it. I imagine that Senate Democrats would have blocked a veto override.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 02:59:30 PM »

He was forced to cave by his own party. It is tough to get the better end of the powers that be in New York.

He could have vetoed it. I imagine that Senate Democrats would have blocked a veto override.
You must not know much about New York politics. The Democrats dont care about the State Senate.
Yes, theoretically they "could" have blocked a veto override but it wouldn't be in their interest, just like a vetowasnt in Cuomo's interest.

Umm, I know that Assembly Democrats don't care about the State Senate but obviously Senate Democrats would.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 03:08:31 PM »

Why would Assembly Democrats prefer a Republican state senate? I'd assume Democrats would want to control both chambers.

Assembly Democrats get to gerrymander their own chamber in exchange. So the majority parties of both chambers vote for this. So it easily passes, but would fail a veto override.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 06:24:29 PM »

Why would Assembly Democrats prefer a Republican state senate? I'd assume Democrats would want to control both chambers.

Assembly Democrats get to gerrymander their own chamber in exchange. So the majority parties of both chambers vote for this. So it easily passes, but would fail a veto override.

If passing legislation requires an identical version of a bill to pass through both chambers, what good would it do to vote to gerrymander half the state legislature out of your control?

Wouldn't NY democrats be better off with 55% of both chambers rather than 65% of the Assembly and 45-49% of the senate?

If no bill was passed, a court would draw the map. The Democrats would lose Assembly seats, but be sure to take control of the Senate.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies