House Debates Banning Sex-Selective Abortions (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:32:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  House Debates Banning Sex-Selective Abortions (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If you were in Congress, would you support the passage of the Prenatal Nondiscrimination Act??
Democrat: Yes

Democrat: No

Republican: Yes

Republican: No

independent/third party: Yes

independent/third party: No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: House Debates Banning Sex-Selective Abortions  (Read 8771 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« on: May 31, 2012, 10:31:53 AM »

I don't really understand why people have such a burning dislike for this since many of them don't seem to care about killing the fetus for any other reason, not to mention this whole issue started after a sting, not someone who actually wanted to have a sex selective abortion. That's my two cents on it personally.

But I would certainly vote for the ban anyway. This "Moderate Hero" abortion stance is still preferable to the status quo and probably softens political support for abortion in general by some small marginal degree.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 04:42:34 PM »

A pro-choicer being against sex selective abortions is a hell of an oxymoron

Not if women's rights is more important to you than cultural relativism. 

Far from cultural relativism, it's utilitarianism for most of us.

Does this extend to aborting fetuses because they have Down Syndrome or some other disease? If we take fetal life as not being worthy of protection, then wouldn't make more sense to have an abortion if the fetus has Down Syndrome?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 06:50:51 PM »

Even though I'm pro-life, I wouldn't favor this bill.

(1) In this country, a woman can have an abortion for any reason she wants (or for no reason at all). I absolutely don't approve of that, but who says "I don't want a boy"/"I don't want a girl" is any different from "I don't want a baby" (regardless of gender)? Other than life-of-mother, all of the "reasons" for abortion are equally unacceptable to me, and I don't want to send a message that (a) reason X is "better" than reason Y or (b) "it's OK as long as you don't abort a little girl!"

(2) It's not like a woman seeking an abortion actually has to provide a reason to the abortionist (although one could argue that that ought to be changed). If someone is aborting her child because of the child's sex, they aren't going to mention it anyway.

(3) I don't like the rhetoric (on both sides used here). Those individuals who favor a woman's right to abort also condemn countries like China, where girls are being aborted. (Note Mr. Franks' remark about little girls being aborted, as opposed to the fact that sex-selective abortion is happening at all.) Although the reverse situation is rare, something tells me fewer people would care if the situation were indeed reversed.

It won't cause any de facto change in the legality of abortion (again, women can always make up, or for that matter not reveal, a reason).

Sure I agree with everything you just posted, but if you're pro-life, shouldn't you support pretty much any abortion restriction you can come up with? Sure this might only stop like one or two women a year but isn't that better than nothing?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies