Do you have a soul?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:02:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Do you have a soul?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Poll
Question: Do you believe that you have a soul?
Yes

No

Don't know

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 72

Author Topic: Do you have a soul?  (Read 17920 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2012, 05:30:12 PM »

That's understandable in your case.  You're a lawyer. Grin
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2012, 08:16:04 PM »

Yes, and its dark, evil, and worthless. And it is only made clean by the blood of Christ.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2012, 08:56:26 PM »

You have a point!
gunnut
Rookie
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2012, 08:36:30 AM »

Atheist though I may be, I believe in ghosts. There certainly are many unexplained occurences and phenomena that are (sometimes falsely) concluded as paranormal activity. These occurences are caused by leftover energy from the person who once was there. Therefore, my conclusion is that people must have souls.

So what exactly is your evidence for the the bolded portion?

Spend the night in the Queen Mary.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2012, 04:40:18 PM »

Atheist though I may be, I believe in ghosts. There certainly are many unexplained occurences and phenomena that are (sometimes falsely) concluded as paranormal activity. These occurences are caused by leftover energy from the person who once was there. Therefore, my conclusion is that people must have souls.

So what exactly is your evidence for the the bolded portion?

Spend the night in the Queen Mary.

Telling a person to spend the night in some place or another that is allegedly haunted is not evidence.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2012, 04:48:03 PM »

Well I'm not a Ginger... so I guess so.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2012, 06:47:51 PM »

What do you mean by 'Ginger'?  What is it? 
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2012, 07:52:49 PM »

No.  I do have spirits in my cabinet though.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2012, 09:23:54 PM »

What do you mean by 'Ginger'?  What is it? 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginger_Kids
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2012, 10:55:58 PM »

The consciousness that is me is an emergent property of my brain as far as I can tell, so no.
Whose House?!
My House!

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2012, 10:02:19 PM »

Yes, I do.

But, I'm not surprised half of this forum doesn't think they have a soul.

--Whose House?!
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2012, 10:29:05 PM »

Major Frown.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2012, 01:21:40 AM »
« Edited: July 01, 2012, 01:23:46 AM by Frodo »

To answer my own poll, most definitely.  A soul is what gives our bodies life and intelligence.  Without it, the critical parts of our bodies (i.e. the brain, the heart) cannot function.  

I absolutely have a soul.  Everyone has a soul.  The soul is who I am.  I am not a brain or a beating heart or functioning organs.  I am a living, caring, breathing soul with a heart that cares for other soul's destinations.  When I die, my physical body will stay 6 feet under in the ground and rot away and turn back to dust, but my soul will be taken to heaven to be with its Creator and live forever and be given a new body, a body without pain, without tears, without any kind of sickness or sorrow, a body that will never break down.  Those who have not believed in Christ in the life they were given, will still live forever, but it will be judged and sent to an eternity in a lake of sulphur fire and eternal separation from God.  No one will ever get used to hell and no one will die once in hell, it will be constant excruciating torment and torture that has no end whatsoever.  Once a soul is sent to hell there is no hope for it anymore, it can never get to heaven after that.  The reverse is true, as well.  Once a soul enters heaven, hope is turned to reality, and does not have to worry anymore about being sent to hell.

How do ghosts fit into this?  Do you believe in the possibility that -for some of us- our souls may not immediately go to either heaven or hell, but remain in a sort of earthly purgatory for a variety of reasons, awaiting assistance from the living to move on 'into the light'?    
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2012, 07:09:56 AM »

I don't know, and I'm quite happy about it.

If you define a soul as what makes you... you and gives you innate qualities of compassion etc etc, then sure... but whether it's an extra-human/spiritual thing.

As with most questions of a specific religio-spiritual nature, my response is I don't know... no one can. I believe in something, and that some element of us remains... but that's belief vs knowledge.
danny
Israel

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2012, 12:42:22 PM »

No, I have a body with a brain.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2012, 07:00:12 PM »

In Greece, the infant seat of arts and of errors, and where the grandeaur as well as folly of the human mind went such prodigious lenghts, the people used to reason about the soul in the very same manner as we do.

The divine Anaxagoras, in whose honour an altar was erected for his having taught mankind that the sun was greater than Peloponnesus, that snow was black, and that the heavens were of stone, affirmed that the soul was an aerial spirit, but at the same time immortal. Diogenes (not he who was a cynical philosopher after having coined base money) declared that the soul was a portion of the substance of God: an idea which we must confess was very sublime. Epicurus maintained that it was composed of parts in the same manner as the body.

Aristotle, who has been explained a thousand ways, because he is unintelligible, was of opinion, according to some of his disciples, that the understanding in all men is one and the same substance.

The divine Plato, master of the divine Aristotle,-and the divine Socrates, master of the divine Plato,-used to say that the soul was corporeal and eternal. No doubt but the demon of Socrates had instructed him in the nature of it. Some people, indeed, pretend that a man who boasted his being attended by a familiar genius must infallibly be either a knave or a madman, but this kind of people are seldom satisfied with anything but reason.

With regard to the Fathers of the Church, several in the primitive ages believed that the soul was human, and the angels and God corporeal. Men naturally improve upon every system. St. Bernard, as Father Mabillon confesses, taught that the soul after death does not see God in the celestial regions, but converses with Christ's human nature only. However, he was not believed this time on his bare word; the adventure of the crusade having a little sunk the credit of his oracles. Afterwards a thousand schoolmen arose, such as the Irrefragable Doctor, the Subtile Doctor, the Angelic Doctor, the Seraphic Doctor, and the Cherubic Doctor, who were all sure that they had a very clear and distinct idea of the soul, and yet wrote in such a manner, that one would conclude they were resolved no one should understand a word in their writings. Our Descartes, born to discover the errors of antiquity, and at the same time to substitute his own; and hurried away by that systematic spirit which throws a cloud over the minds of the greatest men, thought he had demonstrated that the soul is the same thing as thought, in the same manner as matter, in his opinion, is the same as extension. He asserted, that man thinks eternally, and that the soul, at its coming into the body, is informed with the whole series of metaphysical notions: knowing God, infinite space, possessing all abstract ideas-in a word, completely endued with the most sublime lights, which it unhappily forgets at its issuing from the womb.

Father Malebranche, in his sublime illusions, not only admitted innate ideas, but did not doubt of our living wholly in God, and that God is, as it were, our soul.

Voltaire
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2012, 07:58:14 PM »

No. I watched too much television as a child.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2012, 05:03:45 PM »

The ability to live a life where we can ponder these questions tells me we must have a soul. To think, to live, to feel, to touch, to hear, to smell, to taste, to see... these things are, to me, extraordinarily deeper than crude science. Maybe we can quantify the "hows" of these things. We will never be able to quantify the state of actually experiencing them.

That alone is enough for me to believe in something more. Here, the Bible only offers superfluous details. Actually living offers the important ones.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2012, 07:27:44 PM »

The ability to live a life where we can ponder these questions tells me we must have a soul. To think, to live, to feel, to touch, to hear, to smell, to taste, to see... these things are, to me, extraordinarily deeper than crude science. Maybe we can quantify the "hows" of these things. We will never be able to quantify the state of actually experiencing them.

That alone is enough for me to believe in something more. Here, the Bible only offers superfluous details. Actually living offers the important ones.

Why do these phenomena suggest metaphysics any more than anything else does?  Believing something must be magic just because it causes a sense of wonder is why our ancestors worshiped a bunch of stuff we now know is explained naturally.  I'm not understanding why you presume metaphysics just because something is complex, or cool, or whatever it is that makes you assume metaphysics here.

Elaborate some?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2012, 08:47:50 PM »

I really can't elaborate, because to me it is just as simple as that. I don't mean to be an ass or anything by giving a cop out answer, but the very fact that I can experience life is enough for me.

If everything we know is filtered through our senses, how can we possibly assume that what we see, hear, feel, touch, or taste is all that's out there? Maybe "the beyond" is right next to us but we are not equipped to see it. And if all science can do is quantify the crude aspects of our 5-sense world, it really doesn't even begin to touch those big questions.

I'm sorry if I'm not being clear--stuff like this is hard to put into words! Smiley
BlueDog Bimble
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2012, 03:10:46 AM »

Gingers don't have souls!!!!!!!!! Smiley
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2012, 03:16:05 AM »

Actually they are not. We think in order to co-ordinate our bodies response. We feel and touch and see in order to be aware of our surroundings. We hear likewise, to lessen danger and to hear calls of our own kind. We smell and taste to ensure that we are not eating harmful substances. You cannot be more scientific than that. It's basic. There is nothing wonderous to it, nor is there as Alcon suggested, anything metaphysical about it.

I can 'wonder' without being metaphysical. Sam Harris put it best; almost every atom on this planet, everything that makes up the air and the rocks and matter and you and me; the lenses in our eyes, the calcium in our bones comes from the material left over from the creation of the sun which formed our solar system and our planet. And the sun was only formed because billions of years ago another star or stars in the vicinity blew itself up. We are all essentially made of ‘stardust.’ That’s f-cking awesome. It’s wondrous. It makes me feel amazing and incredibly small. But it’s also science. It’s not an appeal to the metaphysical.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2012, 04:29:52 AM »

Actually they are not. We think in order to co-ordinate our bodies response. We feel and touch and see in order to be aware of our surroundings. We hear likewise, to lessen danger and to hear calls of our own kind. We smell and taste to ensure that we are not eating harmful substances. You cannot be more scientific than that. It's basic. There is nothing wonderous to it, nor is there as Alcon suggested, anything metaphysical about it.

I can 'wonder' without being metaphysical. Sam Harris put it best; almost every atom on this planet, everything that makes up the air and the rocks and matter and you and me; the lenses in our eyes, the calcium in our bones comes from the material left over from the creation of the sun which formed our solar system and our planet. And the sun was only formed because billions of years ago another star or stars in the vicinity blew itself up. We are all essentially made of ‘stardust.’ That’s f-cking awesome. It’s wondrous. It makes me feel amazing and incredibly small. But it’s also science. It’s not an appeal to the metaphysical.

Maybe for you. And that's okay.

Sure, we can be made of atoms and stardust and this and that. But that's just superfluous. Who cares? Stars and planets and atoms? Those definitions operate in the confines of our world, not Truth. Maybe our senses are a result of the matter in our brains--hell, I'm sure some scientific process actually explains our ability to hear and see, etc. But the state of actually seeing something trumps the bells and whistles of it all. And you may disagree--I just think that's a more limited way of looking at things (as I'm sure you probably think about my thought process too Tongue).
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2012, 05:58:16 AM »

Maybe for you. And that's okay.

Sure, we can be made of atoms and stardust and this and that. But that's just superfluous. Who cares? Stars and planets and atoms? Those definitions operate in the confines of our world, not Truth. Maybe our senses are a result of the matter in our brains--hell, I'm sure some scientific process actually explains our ability to hear and see, etc. But the state of actually seeing something trumps the bells and whistles of it all. And you may disagree--I just think that's a more limited way of looking at things (as I'm sure you probably think about my thought process too Tongue).

So the 'state of actually seeing something' isn't simply scientific, even though the fact we can see can be explained by science as you admit? If anything you are adding the 'bells and whistles' to experiences that are very fantastic but easily explainable.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2012, 05:39:36 PM »

No, but I like to pretend sometimes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length