Do you have a soul? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:24:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Do you have a soul? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you believe that you have a soul?
Yes

No

Don't know

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 72

Author Topic: Do you have a soul?  (Read 18139 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« on: May 31, 2012, 11:42:23 AM »

No. My body is composed of atoms and my brain of electrical currents in matter. The part of me that is ‘separate’ from my body; my thoughts and feelings and my words are not so separate at all. Without the matter, there would be no mind. When I die, thinking stops, being stops and the matter is broken down and recycled. Nothing of me lives on or continues to exist. How egotistical of me to think that amongst all living things, a human’s ‘soul’ gets to exist beyond death. It’s the construct of a sentient being that feels cheated by death.

If however such a thing were to exist then it is mine. Why should it belong to, or go to another entity? I’d rather it be destroyed than become the play thing of a benevolent (or not so benevolent) entity. Let it escape.

^^^ This is a very good post.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 01:57:22 PM »

The experience of thinking is inherently non-physical.

If the brain is indeed the sole source of consciousness and thought is the result of neurochemical processes then thinking is purely a physical action. What is your evidence that thinking involves more than purely material processes?

My evidence is purely the reason why when we attempt to teleport living beings, the energy and way of living is left behind. Energy is not and cannot be controlled by matter.

1. As danny has pointed out we don't have teleportation technology at this point in time, so either you're from the future or you're just pulling things out of your fanny.

2. When you say energy isn't and can't be controlled by matter, are you taking into account the energy manipulation required by the matter that makes up your computer and all of the matter based infrastructure in order for you to even post here? Or how about the chemical energy your body manipulates in order to continue functioning?

1. I believe you both missed the word attempt

2. Explain to me, Mr. Dibble, why honey is sweet.

Oh and by the way, I post from a kindle fire, not a computer

A Kindle Fire is a computer.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 07:04:44 PM »

A Kindle Fire is not a computer. If it is so is an iPad, or even a smartphone.

Of course both those things are computers. Dibble has a degree in computer science and I'm a recent college dropout who was studying for a degree in computer science, so that counts as like 0.2 of a degree.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 07:16:34 PM »

Also, gunnut's "argument" resting on teleportation is my favourite thing. Grin
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine