Has anyone on the Forum became less in favour of gay rights?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:50:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Has anyone on the Forum became less in favour of gay rights?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Has anyone on the Forum became less in favour of gay rights?  (Read 1070 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 31, 2012, 10:07:16 AM »

I stumbled across posts, from people who shall remain nameless who now hold tolerant views, but a few years back perhaps didnt! The opposite has always intrigued me. If it's happened to you, why?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 05:09:02 PM »

I'd be interested too. I was borderline homophobe when I joined, so I've certainly changed how I see it.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 05:30:27 PM »

I think I've always been in favor. I guess I've become more offended by people who oppose it because I've come to realize that there are objectively moral and immoral views, and that "compromises", while better than nothing, aren't enough. There is no excuse for discrimination, and it's absolutely comparable with discrimination based on race or gender, things that were often debated similarly at the time.

courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 05:32:48 PM »

i detest the word 'gay.'
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 05:37:22 PM »

Being gay, I've obviously always been enthusiastically in favor of gay rights, but I have in the last couple years, just due to the challenges the world faces right now, certainly placed them lower on my list of priorities.

Few of my positions really ever change, I just shift around how important I consider certain things, and right now, the very serious issues facing us right now are economic, and challenging neoliberal consensus and a corporate-bottom-line mentality society has been silently brainwashed into. I also detest how gay marriage has become an issue that can be used to effectively disguise (such as the case of Andrew Cuomo, or dare I say David Cameron) shortcomings of someone's governance elsewhere or how deceptively conservative a Democrat really is.

At this point I take the announcement of support for gay marriage with a great deal of suspicion.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 09:54:09 AM »

I will always favour gay marriage and gay rights, but as Marokai said, I've just prioritized the issue lower than in recent years.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 10:35:20 AM »
« Edited: June 02, 2012, 10:37:44 AM by red's wet dream »

Not in favor of more-equal-than-others 'rights' like 'hate crime' or 'anti-discrimination' legislation although I'm not sure if I ever was.  I certainly have become more skeptical of or even somewhat hostile to the 'gay rights' movement though since they're increasingly focusing on such things (as opposed to more libertarian initiatives like allowing gay bars or repealing sodomy laws or legalizing gay marriage, the first two having been accomplished).  Also not in favor of ridiculous and nonsensical federal court rulings attacking federalism on gay rights grounds.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 11:01:42 AM »

To be honest, I don't think I have changed my mind on anything of import for about 20 years or so (for example, I came to my current views about abortion in college, and always wondered from the time I was knee high to a grasshopper just what all the fuss was about gays, which just seemed well odd to me). You youngs may be smart, but when it comes to swinging the Torie man, you've just been an epic fail. Surely you can do better!  Tongue
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 01:49:41 PM »

I still support gay marriage, but like Marokai Blue, I've become more cynical by its adoption as a right-wing go-to to portray even the most right-wing of governments as centrist (see: UK Conservatives).
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 05:28:24 PM »

Not in favor of more-equal-than-others 'rights' like 'hate crime' or 'anti-discrimination' legislation although I'm not sure if I ever was.  I certainly have become more skeptical of or even somewhat hostile to the 'gay rights' movement though since they're increasingly focusing on such things (as opposed to more libertarian initiatives like allowing gay bars or repealing sodomy laws or legalizing gay marriage, the first two having been accomplished).  Also not in favor of ridiculous and nonsensical federal court rulings attacking federalism on gay rights grounds.
the very word 'gay' inherently has subversive, cultural marxist connotations. in fact it has its roots in the 19th century, when engaging in homosexuality meant one was akin to a prostitute or other sexual outlaw. it along with 'queer' implies some sort of deviation from 'the straights,' which are normal heterosexual working people. gay 'pride' parades, spectacles of degeneracy, are just reminders of this unpleasant reality. normal homosexuals and bisexuals should reject the term 'gay' and the left wing gay agenda.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies