Euro 2012 - Official Discussion Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:48:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Euro 2012 - Official Discussion Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Euro 2012 - Official Discussion Thread  (Read 74245 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: June 03, 2012, 06:35:38 AM »

Okay.

Russia 9
Poland 4
Czech 2
Greece 1

Germany 7
Netherlands 5
Portugal 2
Denmark 1

Spain 7
Italy 5
Croatia 3
Ireland 1

France 5
England 4
Sweden 4
Ukraine 3

Russia < Netherlands
Germany > Poland
Spain > England
France < Italy

Netherlands < Spain
Germany < Italy

Spain ? Italy
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 04:31:38 AM »

Czech Republic and Greece are both awful at the moment, and with a bit of luck Poland can definitely beat Russia. Poland has some terrific players (Lewandowski, Piszczek, Kuba, Szczesny) and with home field advantage I think they'll do well.

In 2008, Russia and Turkey got to the semifinals. In 2004, Greece won. Funny things can happen.
Heck, with all those Dortmunders there and the Bayern in the German team, I think I need to revise my quarterfinal prediction. Cheesy
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 08:42:51 AM »

Krakow not being picked as a host city... makes absolutely no sense to me.
This.

(But that would be a strange form of "protest" indeed.)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 03:50:07 AM »

Yech, mutual result outranks goal difference. Makes for more moot games.
Yes. I hate that dumbinks rule too.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 03:58:53 AM »

This means that Germany can knock out the Dutch by beating them in the next game! Grin Grin Grin

I can just see it.

Denmark - Netherlands 1-0
Germany - Portugal 1-0

Germany - Netherlands 1-0
Portugal - Denmark 2-1

Portugal - Netherlands 2-1
Denmark - Germany 2-0

Denmark 6 4-2
Portugal 6 4-3
Germany 6 2-2
Netherlands 0 1-4

1992 Redux

(Yes, it works out in that order with the direct comparison rule as well.)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 03:59:54 AM »

Ballack predicted the same score line as I did! Smiley  He's the only non-dumbass on the ESPN set.
I am scared to think what kind of utter dumbinkses you must be comparing him with.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 04:26:43 AM »

Euro fun fact: Every team that ever got a penalty or a red card (only one of those, though) against it in a Euro final has ended up winning.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 12:17:10 PM »

And Italy score.

Excellent pass.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 12:21:28 PM »

Three points is dead, but I can still win two.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 12:32:38 PM »

Ooh, a second North African poster! Evil

Great footwork from Buffon there.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 02:21:00 PM »

Words cannot be found to describe this... thing... of a post.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 02:50:29 PM »

Words cannot be found to describe this... thing... of a post.

Diving is the absolute worst thing about the sport, IMHO. Certain nations, cough, have seemed to refine that aspect of the game and turned it into an art form.  You would have thought there was a sniper in the stands.
That nation, in this tournament so far, being Ireland. On three or four occasions in the first half alone. Including the free kick that led to the St Ledger goal.

Meanwhile, that guy got a sole on the shoulder*. That happens to hurt. But not to cause injury (unless you fall stupidly and into the other guy, obviously). He also cost his own team a chance by not getting up as fast as he perhaps might have, and then had to be "treated" off the pitch due to silly regulations as a result.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 02:54:25 PM »

Lol, nice goal there, Shay.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 03:03:02 PM »

So he waited for the pain to subside before getting onto his feet and dusting himself off. Big effing deal. (He then got landed with bitch karma when his side won the ball back much faster than he must have expected.)
Anyways it's not the same thing as diving. He clearly didn't tumble over nothing to win a free kick, unlike certain other people, and he clearly didn't stay down and fake injury in order to gain time which is of course the other common complaint subsumed under diving.
(Though, obviously, I also doubt the literal truth of your claim. Tongue)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 03:12:19 PM »

Not really. Hits the ball as well as the man (and nothing whatsoever with the other foot.) Couldn't have complained too much if it had been given, though, either, and these things do get given often enough. Filed under "incompetent defending / attacker's cleverness" in that case. (Which of course is just pc for "understandable dive".)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2012, 03:37:28 PM »

Already sort of doing that - could have fallen apart, but are instead fighting back fairly well in the last quarter of the game. And would deserve to get a 2-3 by now, actually.
"Intakte Moral" - is there an English equivalent to that phrase?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 12:27:09 PM »

In hilarious slightly related news, Tahiti (or French Polynesia) has defeated New Caledonia (who defeated New Zealand) to win the 2012 OFC Nations Cup, and will now be playing such teams as Brazil, Uruguay, Spain and whoever wins the Euro (France) at the 2013 Confederations Cup as a result. Grin
Let's hope someone repeats that performance for the World Cup. I really want to see Vanuatu or the Solomon Islands there. Grin

The Spanish-Italian rivalry is always interesting to hear about since it's taken quite seriously by those concerned and very little known or cared about in more northerly parts of Europe.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 12:29:45 PM »

Not as boring as I thought, though. Well the first half wasn't apparently - which I haven't seen.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 11:00:04 AM »

Eliminating Italy from the tournament is all in Ireland's hands now, and as we all know, Trapattoni has some experience when it comes to knocking Italy out of tournaments.
Spain's and Croatia's. But I guess they will no more miss the situation than Denmark and Sweden did eight(?) years ago. 2-2 draw and Italy are out.

Oh, and by my count a 4-3 (or 5-4 etc) for Denmark would see Denmark and Germany progress no matter what the Portuguese do. Can't they just abolish the damn stupid direct comparison rule already? It's not working.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 11:10:05 AM »

Nice rain.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 11:28:19 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 11:29:07 AM »

Game to be reopened "not before 8pm" (local time; 7 here, 6 in England, 1 in NY.)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 12:17:41 PM »

Eliminating Italy from the tournament is all in Ireland's hands now, and as we all know, Trapattoni has some experience when it comes to knocking Italy out of tournaments.
Spain's and Croatia's. But I guess they will no more miss the situation than Denmark and Sweden did eight(?) years ago. 2-2 draw and Italy are out.

Oh, and by my count a 4-3 (or 5-4 etc) for Denmark would see Denmark and Germany progress no matter what the Portuguese do. Can't they just abolish the damn stupid direct comparison rule already? It's not working.
But it makes for such bizarre scenarios Wink
And in fact only 3-2 is needed
In case of 3-2, the German and Portuguese result against the Netherlands would be compared as the de facto tiebreaker. There's no further direct comparison of just Germany and Portugal. (Not according to a literal reading of the official rule text, anyways.)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2012, 07:48:22 AM »
« Edited: June 16, 2012, 08:08:50 AM by Tsiraki Midou »

I think Lewis is saying that a 3-2 win for Denmark would see both teams through (well, he said 4-3, but still).

And I remember watching that Sweden-Denmark game and it never felt particularly rigged.
To be precise: My recollection is that the game was played seriously, and was in fact a very good game, until the needed score happened to happen anyways, at which point all the players visibly ceased to care. (There was a single scoring opportunity after that and the player who wasted it pretty much tripped over laughing.) That, however, was in I think the 88th minute. This is what happens when a game is not rigged in advance but there exists an outcome that everybody likes. In the notorious case of Germany vs Austria, Gijón 1982, the needed score (Austrian win by one goal) came to be after 8 minutes...
Anyways, Italy played very badly against Bulgaria at the same time and only won 2-1, and actually would have been eliminated under normal rules as well. Though whether they would have played like that if they knew they needed to win by three - the normal rules - is a matter of conjecture, and is somewhat unlikely.

Denmark-Germany 3-2
Portugal-Netherlands 2-0

Denmark 6
Germany 6
Portugal 6
Netherlands 0

Spain-Croatia 2-2
Italy-Ireland ∞-0

Spain 5
Italy 5
Croatia 5
Ireland 0

3 all, no decision; 2 all, no decision
0 all, no decision; 0 all, no decision
Denmark 5 and group winner, Germany 3, Portugal 3 - no decision between those two; Spain 3, Croatia 3 - no decision between those two, Italy 2 and eliminated
Portugal +2, Germany +1. Germany eliminated. Spain +4, Croatia +2, Spain group winner.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2012, 08:06:29 AM »

Haha, I just found it. There's some kind of circular by the UEFA, dated may 21st, on how it will interprete the rule, and that indeed states that the earlier steps are to be repeated if there's a partially-broken tie after step three. So 3-2 for Denmark would indeed see Germany through.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies