Euro 2012 - Official Discussion Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:31:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Euro 2012 - Official Discussion Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Euro 2012 - Official Discussion Thread  (Read 74368 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: June 08, 2012, 06:26:01 AM »

I don't think England will make it past the first round. It will either be France and Sweden or possibly the Ukraine.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 06:59:39 AM »

Hoping that France continue their unbeaten run again today. Should be a good match to watch; a confident France at the start of the game will put England off their stride. England don't create opportunities, they have to wait for their opponents to miss them.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 08:23:06 AM »

Hoping that France continue their unbeaten run again today. Should be a good match to watch; a confident France at the start of the game will put England off their stride. England don't create opportunities, they have to wait for their opponents to miss them.

I was in Scotland shortly before England-Germany in the 2010 World Cup. I think everyone I talked to wished us luck.

Do Scots hate anyone more than England in football? Seems like real hatred Smiley

It’s less of a hatred more of a dislike Smiley  It’s not a ‘nationalistic’ thing; the home nations are independent football bodies. The idea that Scots should support England makes no sense. For the record I also dislike some Scots backing Ireland (or bizarrely, the Netherlands) over some sectarian nonsense. I’m Scottish; I won’t be supporting England.

There are several issues. Although Scotland hasn’t qualified for a tournament since 1998, then as now England coverage is saturated by the media. From news to entertainment shows they always took precedent (the same is true in the Commonwealth Games). The ‘We Are Going To Win’ attitude (which has died down this year actually given how sh-t England were in 2010) is also nauseating. Secondly we have the fans. The ‘Eng-er-lund’ fan on a foreign jolly smashing plastic furniture over opposing fans is as far removed from the behaviour of the ‘Tartan Army’ as you can get and doesn’t enamour the team to the nation. I’ll support Scotland or a good team. I enjoy international football without being invested in it.

It’s English fans, not the English team or the nation that put Scots off from supporting England. We may be ‘Anyone but England’, but why should that be considered suspect in comparison to the ‘No-one but England’ attitude of English fans?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 11:36:36 AM »

$hit
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 11:43:38 AM »

Yes!
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 06:21:07 AM »

England fans living up to their repuation again I see...

Inflatable Spitfires?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies