Frank Bruni NYT on Obama: He doesn't seem in command.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:36:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Frank Bruni NYT on Obama: He doesn't seem in command.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Frank Bruni NYT on Obama: He doesn't seem in command.  (Read 10409 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2012, 12:20:20 AM »

I just love how some Republicans (specifically Mitt Romney) love to talk trash about the economy right now while offering no alternatives except the Bush ideas, which were how the recession began in the first place or saying Obama ideas(such as the auto bailout) were their ideas.  Its true we are no where near where we want to be economically but objective analysis easily concludes we are FAR better off than we were when the President first took office.

Romney will magically produce 500,000 new jobs a month with the same economic policies of Bush, despite that neither him nor his father came close to averaging this puny 69,000 we got last month.
t_host1

« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2012, 09:43:21 PM »

If you're a Democrat, here's hoping June will be better.

Well, let’s see,
SCOTUS decisions on Obama Care – the fed control of every breath, belch, fart and tear.

SCOTUS decision on the states enforcement of current fed laws.  – AZ and the illegals.

WI - decision on union governance too its extinction or not.

Greece Vote – Obama’s not vacationing there, no big deal there.

Fed meeting – decision on continued funding of the democrat party, other wise known as QE3 - diluting the republic.

Yep, should be a better month for Obama, if not he’ll just move up his plan of “screw‘em” declare he, the last POTUS and have Eric Holder annul the US Constitution, then placing himself as the Chief Of All Justice, saving all this trouble with the voter ID issue.

Or, maybe, 

Obama realizes there’s no more money, having established himself as the greatest bank robber known to mankind, and resigns. If such, the only minor question is, which country will the first exiled American Presidential family move to? I’m sure he’ll have that birth certificate thing all re-worked out.

The Obama Inheritance and Romney’s strategy, to what end?   

President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2012, 09:54:41 PM »

Despite your ridiculously stupid post, you do have a point about the SCOTUS ruling. That could really roil the Obama campaign, depending on public reaction to it. Obama will have to carefully think about how he wants to respond. I'm not sure declaring war on the Supremes is the right option, especially given the unpopularity of the law.
t_host1

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2012, 10:02:47 PM »

A roiled Obama campaign or a freed America, which would be a better June?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2012, 10:04:06 PM »

Could you explain how the Obama campaign might be roiled? I don't quite understand your terminology.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2012, 10:24:11 PM »

Could you explain how the Obama campaign might be roiled? I don't quite understand your terminology.

The lynchpin of Obamacare, to wit, the mandate, is struck down, leaving Obama with a wave that hits his boat with which he needs to contend, to wit, roiled. Also, the challenges to the Indiana voter ID law, and the AZ immigration law, managed by the Obama administration, will also be rejected, and by lopsided SCOTUS margins, rather than 5-4, most probably. That is another "roiling" wave.

When it rains, it pours.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2012, 10:25:32 PM »

The lynchpin of Obamacare, to wit, the mandate, is struck down, leaving Obama with a wave that hits his boat with which he needs to contend, to wit, roiled. Also, the challenges to the Indiana voter ID law, and the AZ immigration law, managed by the Obama administration, will also be rejected, and by lopsided SCOTUS margins, rather than 5-4, most probably. That is another "roiling" wave.

When it rains, it pours.

It's still some rather odd phrasing.

And I have to say, Torie, off-topic, you're one of my favorite posters here, particularly your posts on economics. Fascinating.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2012, 10:31:34 PM »

Despite your ridiculously stupid post, you do have a point about the SCOTUS ruling. That could really roil the Obama campaign, depending on public reaction to it. Obama will have to carefully think about how he wants to respond. I'm not sure declaring war on the Supremes is the right option, especially given the unpopularity of the law.

To be fair, Axelrod and the team probably cooked up the response (for a victory or a defeat), months ago.

A Jerry Brownesque statement along the lines of "While I do not agree with their decision, the Court has spoken and I will abide by their ruling," and throwing in a pledge to still fight for healthcare would probably be the best way to go.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2012, 10:37:02 PM »

As Torie explained above, it would probably take the form of the fascist reactionary Supreme Court continuing their war on social progress in a dramatic fashion by striking down the healthcare law, coupled with the rightist hordes in Congress completely vetoing any further economic stimulus and, as we've been seeing, sacrificing the US economy on the altar of permanent austerity.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2012, 07:06:54 AM »

Am I the only one that can see the Supreme Court not hurting Obama that much? It's quite possible that that will ram up turnout for the Dems.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2012, 08:05:44 AM »

Am I the only one that can see the Supreme Court not hurting Obama that much? It's quite possible that that will ram up turnout for the Dems.
It 'could' go any way, but striking Obama of his main/only 'accomplishment' is hard to spin into a positive.  It also calls to question his only serious experience before politics -- being a guest lecturer of constitutional law.  It's like calling a completely empty glass half full.       
Purch
Rookie

« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2012, 02:27:32 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2012, 02:29:13 PM by Purch »

Yes, voters are only allowed to vote on one issue and that issue should be selected and framed by Mitt Romney. Got it, Winfield.

Generally speaking my rule is the only important thing during an election year in which there's uncertanity about the future is the economy and Foreign policy.

I'd only vote on social issues when we have a balence budget , much smaller debt and lower unemplyment

From how I feel about where we stand I'd vote for Obama based on Foreign policy and Romney based on the economy
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2012, 05:33:15 PM »

Yes, voters are only allowed to vote on one issue and that issue should be selected and framed by Mitt Romney. Got it, Winfield.

Generally speaking my rule is the only important thing during an election year in which there's uncertanity about the future is the economy and Foreign policy.

I'd only vote on social issues when we have a balence budget , much smaller debt and lower unemplyment

From how I feel about where we stand I'd vote for Obama based on Foreign policy and Romney based on the economy

Why?

I mean Romney would likely continue Obama's foreign policy, and as for Romney's economic policies, it's nothing more than empty platitude which hide the fact that, he want to adopt the policies which brought you into this mess in the first place.
Purch
Rookie

« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2012, 06:39:08 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2012, 06:43:54 PM by Purch »

Why?

I mean Romney would likely continue Obama's foreign policy, and as for Romney's economic policies, it's nothing more than empty platitude which hide the fact that, he want to adopt the policies which brought you into this mess in the first place.

No. Romney's foreign policies advocates being more agressive in regards to Russia, Iran, China and Syria. As a non interventionist who realizes that the amount of money we invest on overseas investments is unsustainable I'm quite simply supporting the guy who'd does less .

What policies are you speaking of? Bush wasn't a fiscal conservative in any sort of the word the expansion of Medicade/Medicaid part B, Building up huge deficits whiles overspending both domestically and overseas. For any Politician to replicate that they must not only have the same policies but they must have also have zero understanding of the economy. From 10 seconds listening to Mitt Romney I can already tell you that his intelligence far exceeds Bush's.

I don't view policies as inherently good or bad. Cutting taxes, Raising spending, Cutting spending, Raising taxes ext they all have the potential to be good or bad depending on how the President implements them.  I don't support Romney on the economy but I feel the way Obama's implemented his policies isn't producing the desired message for the strength of this recovery.

I consider myself a debt hawk and personally I feel our road to the future is a short term stimulus after we establish a long term debt reduction plan. If either Romney or Obama delivers that message then they have my vote. But most likely I'll vote for neither considering Obama's fear to touch Entitlements and Romney's fear to cut the military budget/raise taxes
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2012, 10:16:06 PM »

Tonight's results will echo beyond Wisconsin.

This is a horse race.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2012, 10:17:15 PM »

Yes.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2012, 10:17:22 PM »

Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2012, 10:17:46 PM »

You know, you should just create a thread titled "Winfield's Soapbox." Every time a sentence leaves Romney's mouth, you can go post it in there.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2012, 10:31:38 PM »

You know, you should just create a thread titled "Winfield's Soapbox." Every time a sentence leaves Romney's mouth, you can go post it in there.

Now, that's not nice!

I believe most of what I post for discussion is of interest to readers and pertinent to today's events.         
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »

Now, that's not nice!

I believe most of what I post for discussion is of interest to readers and pertinent to today's events.         

You and NHI, who I'm beginning to suspect may be an automatic-response machine, are nearly alone in that.

Also, the adjective form is 'Democratic'.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2012, 10:47:04 PM »

I wonder if you're capable of posting something better than "yes"/"no" or empty quote.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2012, 10:49:12 PM »

Now, that's not nice!

You and NHI, who I'm beginning to suspect may be an automatic-response machine, are nearly alone in that.

In Winfield's defense, is it wrong to wholeheartedly support Romney?  He's just passionate about his candidate.  He's not doing anything malicious.  He may be a little overbearing at times, but he's just passionate about his candidate.  Romney has just as much right to be celebrated on this forum as Obama does.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2012, 10:50:04 PM »

Now, that's not nice!

In Winfield's defense, is it wrong to wholeheartedly support Romney?  He's just passionate about his candidate.  He's not doing anything malicious.  He may be a little overbearing at times, but he's just passionate about his candidate.  Romney has just as much right to be celebrated on this forum as Obama does.

That's a huge understatement.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2012, 10:52:37 PM »

Now, that's not nice!

No, it's just...it does get a little excessive. Most of us have our hackish tendencies (I myself am feeling especially hackish tonight, and not in a positive way, for obvious reasons) but the extent and timbre of these get a bit grating after a while.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2012, 10:53:12 PM »

Now, that's not nice!

That's a huge understatement.

I can see where you're coming from, but I get the feeling, though, that if someone were to be just as passionate about Obama that not much would be said about it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies