Obama says he supports same sex marriage, but what do Americans think?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:50:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Obama says he supports same sex marriage, but what do Americans think?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Obama says he supports same sex marriage, but what do Americans think?  (Read 4044 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 31, 2012, 11:29:47 PM »
« edited: May 31, 2012, 11:46:27 PM by Mitt Romney, Economic Heavyweight »

http://theothermccain.com/2012/05/15/distraction-tactic-backfires-romney-gains-in-polls-after-obama-gay-shift/

A New York Times article indicates voters are starting to see through Obama's motives.

Most Americans suspect that President Obama was motivated by politics, not policy, when he declared his support for same-sex marriage, according to a new poll released on Monday, suggesting that the unplanned way it was announced shaped public attitudes.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 11:41:06 PM »

Words fail me...
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 11:45:10 PM »

Finally!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 11:47:18 PM »

Romney has never done something for political reasons.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 11:49:11 PM »

I'm always amazed by this argument. "You just support big social advancements in minority rights that have historically done very poorly at the ballot box and until recently the majority of Americans were against because you're a political opportunist!"

Is the issue here that he hid it for political reasons up until this point? I just don't get this stupid line of reasoning or how it's apparently so pervasive among Republicans. Someone please explain what the accusation is, here, or how it has any internal logic.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 11:52:18 PM »

Yes consider it a victory that your hackery has silenced me for now...
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 12:00:18 AM »

Actually, I think you mean my logic and spot on analysis.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 12:01:18 AM »

No, I really don't
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 03:19:51 AM »

Winfield, you of all people most certainly do not want to be attacking a politician for apparently shifting positions on an issue for the sake of political expediency.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 06:05:00 AM »

Winfield, you of all people most certainly do not want to be attacking a politician for apparently shifting positions on an issue for the sake of political expediency.

Particularly the candidate who promised to be more liberal on gay rights than Ted Kennedy in 1994.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 06:17:36 AM »

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 07:21:15 AM »
« Edited: June 01, 2012, 07:30:22 AM by memphis »

This is the true measure of how far we've come as a nation. In like five years, the prime talking point from Republicans about people who support gay marriage has gone from, 'It will destroy society via turtle [inks]ing,' to, 'Oh, of course you're for it. You'll say anything popular to get re-elected.' That is progress.
- Jon Stewart
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 08:10:53 AM »

Winfield you can't even talk about political expediency if you support Mitt Romney. 
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 09:14:20 AM »

Forty years from now, Republicans are going to cite Bill Weld against conservative southern Dems to prove that they were really the part of equality who made same-sex marriage possible.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 10:03:29 AM »

The article you linked to is pretty weaksauce, considering the relatively decent amount of data out there post-decision.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 10:41:13 AM »

The article you linked to is pretty weaksauce, considering the relatively decent amount of data out there post-decision.

To be fair, he does have a point. We'll just have to wait and see if there are more polls like in CO/NV/IA recently.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 10:45:27 AM »

I once listened to the radio and they said that Obama's daughters have friends with gay parents, and that Obama annouced his support because of them.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 09:24:21 PM »

I once listened to the radio and they said that Obama's daughters have friends with gay parents, and that Obama annouced his support because of them.

Oh, that's all America needs in these trying times, when we need a President Americans expect decisive leadership from, instead, what we get is a President who announces that he supports gay marriage, one of the most divisive and polarizing social issues ever in the history of the nation, based on the wishes of his two young daughters, as delightful as they are, who have friends with gay parents.

America deserves better than this.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 09:30:11 PM »

Oh, that's all America needs in these trying times, when we need a President Americans expect decisive leadership from, instead, what we get is a President who announces that he supports gay marriage, one of the most divisive and polarizing social issues ever in the history of the nation, based on the wishes of his two young daughters, as delightful as they are, who have friends with gay parents.

Gosh, Mr. Winfield! I didn't know it was illegal to decide your opinions based on personal experience! Guess I'd better recalculate all of my core beliefs.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2012, 09:54:46 PM »

Every politican has done something like that, name one that HASN'T.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2012, 10:02:21 PM »

That's all fine, and I do not have a problem with that,  but I am talking about leadership, and in this particular scenario, I don't see that as leadership, basing your decision on the fact your young children, who are very impressionable, have friends who have gay parents.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2012, 11:40:34 PM »

That's all fine, and I do not have a problem with that,  but I am talking about leadership, and in this particular scenario, I don't see that as leadership, basing your decision on the fact your young children, who are very impressionable, have friends who have gay parents.

Very impressionable, friends with gay parents... So you're saying that his daughters were corrupted by TEH GAY AGENDA!!!1!1!1!!! into believing in equality because they saw these people are just like everybody else?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2012, 11:50:02 PM »

Nah, I'd say their liberal school teachers are behind it, as is the case here in Canada. They try to "educate" the social conservative right out of you.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2012, 12:20:17 AM »

Oh you mean leadership!  Like a guy saying he is for gay marriage and that he is more liberal than Ted Kennedy....Then a few years later runs for a different office and says he is a conservative?  How great a leadership style!
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2012, 12:29:26 AM »

Don't get cute.

I said nothing about corruption, I didn't even imply it, you are the one putting your own spin on what I said.

I am talking about leadership, and if that is something you choose not to understand, that is up to you.      
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies