Does Economic Freedom Foster Tolerance? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:07:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Does Economic Freedom Foster Tolerance? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does Economic Freedom Foster Tolerance?  (Read 13104 times)
Redalgo
United States

« on: June 04, 2012, 07:23:42 PM »
« edited: June 04, 2012, 07:29:47 PM by Redalgo »

I bet economic freedom itself has little impact on the amount of social distance separating folks of differing groups. It may conceivably be one among several factors that when combined make some kind of meaningful difference but on its own having a market economy enshrining personal property rights is insufficient - in my opinion - to accurately predict how people of a culture will tend to perceive, judge, and interact with each other in all aspects of daily life. Human nature is not quite selfish enough for profit motive to overcome the innate tendency of human beings to compete among themselves both as individuals and as members of larger, oftentimes tribalistic in-groups. Aside from that, my understanding is that people are usually intuitive in making their choices (and then hastily find ways to rationalize those choices afterward) instead of relying on cold, calculating logic to make all of their decisions. That is to imply the notion of homo economicus fails to offer us an empirically-sound conceptualization for human behavior.

Those are my initial thoughts. Maybe after reading the piece posted before I'll be a bit swayed. For now though I suppose the question, "Does economic freedom foster tolerance?" seems something like, "Does a liberal application of ketchup foster deliciousness?" to me. The latent potential for it is certainly there but for now I can't see it being the most important (or relevant) variable at work. Unsure
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 07:36:42 PM »
« Edited: June 07, 2012, 07:41:24 PM by Redalgo »

Both you and Redalgo seem to misunderstand the way regression analysis is used. No one is claiming that economic freedom determines tolerance. There is hardly any such relation existing  in any social science.

In all honesty, regression analysis is a completely unfamiliar concept to me and I had not read every post (much less the articles posted) before offering some thoughts. That is just how I often do this when my supply of time is running short. I agree with you concerning your final remark, but at the time was intuitively (and irrationally) convinced that this thread was about establishing that a high measure of personal autonomy from state regulation and extensive private property rights are necessary for pluralism or multiculturalism to take root in a society, and in the process further imply that only liberal democracies embracing laissez-faire capitalism can become or remain "free societies" over long periods of time. Past experiences have taught me how to react and respond when hackish intent is perceived without me even having to think about it for a strong opinion and slipshod rebuttal to swiftly develop. Alas, at times I succumb to prejudice and entrenched biases!

I wish there was something more useful or intelligent for me to chip in but for the moment I am holding a pretty bad hand today and am content to observe your exchange with the others. xD
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies