|           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:00:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: .  (Read 2633 times)
bawlexus91
Rookie
Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 03, 2012, 01:28:12 AM »
« edited: June 07, 2012, 01:40:29 AM by . »

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 02:13:34 AM »

Of course, there are Democrats who never bought into his bullsh-t from Day 1, not because we didn't like him, but that we simply asked him to demonstrate what he was promising and he failed to do so. From Day 1. Maureen Dowd wasn't one of those people. That was years ago. Since then, we tried a long, long time ago to put all of that behind us and rally behind the President. Currently it can only be stated that there are reasons to support Obama that have nothing to do with his unfortunate 2008 campaign, or the expectation set therein, which were dispelled a long, long time ago; the dispelling of which should not be news. [And yes with this post I guess it should be supposed that my flirtation with Romney is at an end.]
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 03:44:03 AM »

Maureen Dowd is a hack who has been sniping at Obama since the early days of his administration. With friends like those..
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 03:56:56 AM »

Maureen Dowd has never exactly been an Obama cheerleader, y'know...
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 08:57:15 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2012, 09:01:33 AM by Joementum »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is the passage that confirms she's clueless and can be discounted; the Obama quote she uses demonstrates the opposite of her point really.  Obama in 2008 aspired to preside over a consensus-seeking government and the quote suggests he's hopeful of the same now and has some expectation once he's not up for re-election, DC won't just be Hatfields and McCoys.

I don't really see Obama as president being all that different from what was advertised in 2008.  I think the bigger problem is people projected unrealistic hopes onto him, even to the point of ignoring what he was saying.  You can see it in Dowd's reference "liberal law professor" as 2008 candidate.  Obama never campaigned as a "liberal law professor" or on ending military strikes on Al Qaeda targets. As a candidate in 2008, he said all options were on the table with Iran, including military ones, and he would if necessary, send our military into Pakistan to get Bin Laden (a policy which Romney blasted as naive).  So, the fact that Obama had been a law professor 5 years before and was liberal on other issues is more a perception problem by Dowd and others.  You can protest that policy but it's not the reversal it's made out to be.

There's also a bit of mythology about how Obama was different- the hope candidate- in 2008 and now has become a negative candidate of fear.  Despite the simplistic campaign slogan, Obama rained negative attacks on Bush and McCain in 2008 and railed against GOP policies as he's doing now vs Romney.

The only point she gets right is quoting Ed Rendell on Obama's failure to communicate well ahead of the midterms, which Obama himself volunteered as a diagnosis after that election.  So?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 01:45:52 PM »

"So," it should have been Hillary.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 03:44:58 PM »

I          LOVE          this quote from the article.

Oh          my!

Bill Clinton:  Obama a lightweight.  Romney's performance sterling.

On Thursday, Bill Clinton once more telegraphed that he considers Obama a lightweight who should not have bested his wife. Bluntly contradicting the Obama campaign theme that Romney is a heartless corporate raider, Clinton told CNN that the Republican’s record at Bain was “sterling.”
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 05:05:16 PM »

Oh          my!

Bill Clinton:  Obama a lightweight.  Romney's performance sterling.

On Thursday, Bill Clinton once more telegraphed that he considers Obama a lightweight who should not have bested his wife. Bluntly contradicting the Obama campaign theme that Romney is a heartless corporate raider, Clinton told CNN that the Republican’s record at Bain was “sterling.”

What the Inks is with that spacing?!

And I'm pretty sure most of us believe that Hillary would be a better president than Barack, but destroying jobs is not 'sterling'.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 05:27:43 PM »

And I'm pretty sure most of us believe that Hillary would be a better president than Barack

I don't believe that for one minute, FWIW. I'm eternally glad that Hillary Clinton is not, and will quite likely never be, President.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 05:50:57 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2012, 05:52:51 PM by Frontline: Wisconsin »

Even though I still like Hillary, I'm glad she didn't win the nomination- but probably for different reasons than Oak's. Tongue

On the OP: I wouldn't read too much into this.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 05:54:39 PM »

And I'm pretty sure most of us believe that Hillary would be a better president than Barack

I don't believe that for one minute, FWIW. I'm eternally glad that Hillary Clinton is not, and will quite likely never be, President.

Why not? I'll bet she'd have stood up to the Tea Party.
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 06:30:43 PM »

Who?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 06:39:02 PM »

My opinion of Obama increased slightly.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 06:39:58 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2012, 06:41:45 PM by Mitt Romney, Economic Heavyweight »

Oh          my!

Bill Clinton:  Obama a lightweight.  Romney's performance sterling.

And I'm pretty sure most of us believe that Hillary would be a better president than Barack, but destroying jobs is not 'sterling'.

Re. the "sterling" comment, Bill Clinton, the most popular Democrat since FDR thinks so.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 06:58:05 PM »

Oh          my!

Bill Clinton:  Obama a lightweight.  Romney's performance sterling.

Re. the "sterling" comment, Bill Clinton, the most popular Democrat since FDR thinks so.

Still, the most popular Democrat in the country, Clinton, thinks Obama would be better for the economy than Romney and the most popular Republican in the country, Colin Powell, thinks Obama would be better on foreign policy.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 07:44:40 PM »

...and the most popular Republican in the country, Colin Powell, thinks Obama would be better on foreign policy.

Maybe the most popular Republican amongst Democrats. But I assure you, he is not so beloved by the GOP anymore (endorsing a Democrat for President tends to do that).

I'd guess Hillary and Powell are the most popular nationally? Not sure who the most popular Republican among Republicans is.  Palin or Christie maybe?
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 08:27:27 PM »

...and the most popular Republican in the country, Colin Powell, thinks Obama would be better on foreign policy.

Maybe the most popular Republican amongst Democrats. But I assure you, he is not so beloved by the GOP anymore (endorsing a Democrat for President tends to do that).

I'd guess Hillary and Powell are the most popular nationally? Not sure who the most popular Republican among Republicans is.  Palin or Christie maybe?

Excluding members of the Bush 43 administration... Bush 41, Romney, (theoretically political) David Patreus, Potentially Romney's VP pick, And then the 25 young/new stars.     
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 09:49:19 PM »

I don't know that I would actually refer to Powell as a Republican now.  A RINO at best.

Condi?  Where do you weigh in on this whole foreign relations thing?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 12:38:04 AM »

She hasn't posted here in a while, IIRC.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 05:06:20 AM »

Powell's still pretty popular across the board.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 10:07:13 PM »

She hasn't posted here in a while, IIRC.

That was witty and funny at the same time, I have to admit.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies