NE2: Roscoe Conkling Equity Before the Law Act [Passed]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:13:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE2: Roscoe Conkling Equity Before the Law Act [Passed]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: NE2: Roscoe Conkling Equity Before the Law Act [Passed]  (Read 2543 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2012, 12:18:50 PM »

Since I do not believe in reading my own interpretation into the constitution when it suits me simply to get my own way at any cost, and since the constitution is perfectly clear in this particular article and section, and since this bill is clearly in violation of the constitution, I vote

Nay 
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2012, 02:40:41 PM »

I was pretty much unable to post yesterday, as you will discover in my PM to you.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2012, 02:50:05 PM »

I'd just like to announce right now that if this doesn't pass a referendum, I'm re-reintroducing it in the Assembly. If it fails again, PAIN WILL BE FELT.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2012, 02:57:30 PM »

Representative Jones cast an "Aye" vote on June 29, 2012 at 04:03:43 PM.

Voting on this bill was opened by the Speaker on June 30, 2012 at 01:09:57 AM, therefore voting has expired 24 hours later on July 1, 2012 at 01:09:57 AM.

Four Representatives cast votes during the voting period, 2 "Aye" and 2"Nay" resulting in a tie vote.

Therefore, only four Representatives, not five, cast valid votes.

Since when can a Representative go and cast a vote prior to voting time has been opened, or after voting time has expired and expect to have that vote to be counted as valid.  The very notion is ludicrous.

Either we have established and accepted procedure to follow or we have chaos.  

This bill fails on a tie vote.

And this bill is getting to the point of ridiculousness, with threats if it doesn't pass a referendum then it will be re-re-introduced.

You cannot keep re-introducing bills just because you don't like the way the vote turned out.  Live with it.

The Speaker should refuse to allow this bill back into consideration.      
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2012, 03:18:05 PM »

I am respecting Assembly procedure, Mr. Winfield. I don't see how I ever indicated that my Aye vote from two days ago was in any way valid.

I'm simply stating that the bill would have passed, had I not been out of the Assembly temporarily for medical reasons, and that I intend for it to become law. The assembly has voted in favor of this legislation in the past, and it would have yesterday, had I been able to vote. This bill is supported by the majority of Representatives and the Governor, so it will become law if I have anything to say about it!

Thank you for your time.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2012, 03:28:56 PM »

So in essence, you're willing to push a bill through even if the public, your constituents, come out in opposition to it?

Interesting...
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2012, 03:48:18 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2012, 03:50:44 PM by First Watergate Now Gunrungate »

I'd just like to announce right now that if this doesn't pass a referendum, I'm re-reintroducing it in the Assembly. If it fails again, PAIN WILL BE FELT.

Representative Jones

I sympathize for any medical problems you have had, however, the vote still failed.

But for you to have the nerve to state that if this bill is rejected by the public in a referendum that you will re-introduce it into the Assembly yet again is a slap in the face to the citizens of the Northeast.

Your attitude of having complete disregard for the will of the public is absolutly deplorable and unfitting of a member of this Assembly.

If this bill is rejected by the public, then, obviously, it should stay dead.  If it is passed by the public, then I say so be it.  I do not disregard their decision, unlike you, who says Mr. and Mrs. Northeast public, I could care less what you say, I want my way, because I know better than the public.

Your contempt for the will of the public of the Northeast is completely and utterly abhorrent.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2012, 03:55:52 PM »

You cannot keep re-introducing bills just because you don't like the way the vote turned out.  Live with it.

The Speaker should refuse to allow this bill back into consideration.      
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The current SOAP does not afford the Speaker the power to deny bills consideration. If you wish to prohibit this, you'll need to introduce an amendment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And such an amendment may be desirable and necessary.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2012, 04:00:35 PM »

By the way, when a Representative knows in advance that he or she won't be able to vote at the specified time, the Assembly should do everything that it can to accommodate that Representative.

That does have some merit, but it would have to be made clear in Assembly procedure, and it would have to be written in such a way so as to prevent any abuse of that privilege.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2012, 07:55:04 PM »

I feel as if an apology is in order for misleading Rep. Jones here. Despite my personal opposition to this bill, I am inclined to count his vote in favor if the SOAP could be interpreted as allowing such.

Voting has ended. The official tally is 2-2.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2012, 09:38:23 PM »

I see you are prepared to do anything to get this stupid bill passed, twisting the constitution, twisting and making excuses for someone who did not cast a vote during the valid voting period, interpretating and twisting the constitution and the SOAP to your own desires, etc., etc., etc.

Governor, if it will make you feel better about yourself, and will satisfy your ego, then, by all means, go ahead, open up the vote again, break whatever rules and precedents you like, make a mockery of the established voting rules, and have this stupid, worthless, bill passed, which will establish, once and for all, a system that does not treat everyone equally under the law, a right that is guaranteed under the constitution, but go ahead, twist everything to suit your purposes.  After all, don't admit that, in effect, this ridiculous bill has already been defeated twice.

So, you may as well go for a third time.  You know what they say, third time lucky.  Of course, if by some circumstance the bill loses a third time, then of course I fully support that you go for a fourth, fifth, sixth time, come to think of it, you may as well go for an even dozen if necessary.  The more the merrier.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2012, 10:00:55 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2012, 10:02:43 PM by Sudoku Love Cavern »

Whereas Rep. Jones cast his vote under the reasonable expectation that voting had begun due to my statement indicating such, and

Whereas Rep. Jones could not have drawn any other conclusion following my statement other than that he was now procedurally allowed to cast his vote, and

Whereas I mislead Rep. Jones to believe such, and whilst my statement was in error I would have clearly personally preferred the invalidation of his vote and thus the failure of this bill,

I fully assume culpability for Rep. Jones's error and declare I deem his actions to be in good faith. Therefore I shall accept his ballot, and thus the Roscoe Conkling Equity Before the Law Act has passed, 3-2. However let it be known I continue to strongly oppose this piece of legislation and believe it to be unconstitutional.

Mr. Governor, the bill awaits your signature.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2012, 10:12:40 PM »

Well, congratulations to this Assembly for finally establishing the precedent of inequality before the law.

And also, congratulations to the Governsor, the CJO, and the Speaker for going to extreme lengths and really stretching their imaginations to come up with a way  to get this ludicrous bill passed, even though, in reality, it was, effectively, rejected twice.

You have just shown how really worthless the constitution and the SOAP are, as you have just proven that they can be manipulated to mean anything you want them to be.

And Governor, not narcissism?  This coming from the one who has renamed the Governor's mansion FORT NIX?

Do those of us serving in the Assembly get something named after us?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies