Myths about American politics... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:05:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Myths about American politics... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Myths about American politics...  (Read 13740 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« on: June 07, 2012, 09:35:44 AM »

The New York Times did those big piece about the Reagan Democrats last week about how they're not happy with either Obama or Romney this year. And to demonstrate they interviewed people in Fayette County, Pennsylvania. Check the results from 1984, if you don't immediately recognize why this is such epic fail.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 07:40:38 PM »

If the hospital wants to say no, then let them say no - let the hospital set the policies based on what's logical to make the hospital run well.

What if the hospital were to enforce 'racial' segregation? On the basis that it would run better.

From my perspective, I don't care what a private company does.  If they want to segregate, that's fine.  I won't associate myself with them, but I'd say that's their right.  Obviously this doesn't fit with most of the SCOTUS cases that have happened, so I realize I often have to throw my perspective out the window on stuff like this.
It wasn't the Supreme Court that ended segregation for private companies. It was the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The Supreme Court had historically been opposed to such legislation, ruling the similar 1875 Civil Rights Act unconstitutional.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 11:59:08 PM »

Not to mention that an enormous amount of any hospital's income comes directly from the American taxpayer. It would make no sense for the government to be supporting such an awful institution.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies