Myths about American politics... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:57:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Myths about American politics... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Myths about American politics...  (Read 13744 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: June 07, 2012, 08:12:03 AM »
« edited: June 07, 2012, 08:13:44 AM by brittain33 »

"Reagan Democrats" may well have existed in the early '80s (I have no reason to think it's not true) but the myth is that they've carried on as a group that the Dems have to win in order to be competitive. A hell of a lot has happened in 30 years. Most Reagan Democrats are now better described as senior citizens and we know how they vote. Their kids have had a completely different economic experience. Then what BRTD said about using it to describe the white working class. And in the meantime, you have increasing diversity in the electorate and the move of well-educated middle class people who would have voted for Anderson in '80 and Reagan in '84 into a position where they're often uncomfortable with the GOP.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 08:26:58 AM »

I don't see why that shouldn't be allowed.  If the hospital wants to say no, then let them say no - let the hospital set the policies based on what's logical to make the hospital run well.

The argument is that there is no "logical" reason to exclude same-sex partners other than lack of empathy, inertia, and bigotry, and as human beings we're able to make that judgment.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 09:01:31 PM »

And just because I disagree with the way it was accomplished doesn't mean I disagree with increasing civil rights. 

If you oppose the only viable route to enacting civil rights, you oppose civil rights. Even if you are a nice, honest person who genuinely wishes civil rights were in place.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies