Myths about American politics... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:50:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Myths about American politics... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Myths about American politics...  (Read 13753 times)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« on: June 08, 2012, 12:23:39 PM »

In my opinion it's homophobic to oppose for example, hospital visitation rights for gay couples, but thinking that these rights shouldn't have the name  "marriage" isn't homophobic, just something I disagree with.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 04:15:46 AM »

Why hospital visitation rights has anything to do with goverment policy is beyond me.  Heck, if you want to let your neighbor visit you in the hospital, I don't see why that shouldn't be allowed.  If the hospital wants to say no, then let them say no - let the hospital set the policies based on what's logical to make the hospital run well.

I don't see what's wrong with the government guaranteeing a right for people to see their loved ones when they are in a hospital or prison, in fact that seems a fundamentally good thing. Besides as with so many other things, while it may not be desirable to have the government involved without them it would be far worse. If hospitals were allowed to set their own policy it would take a matter of weeks before we saw gays or unmarried couples being barred from one hospital or another, and that's not a price worth paying.

Removing a guarantee seems more a case of less government for less governments sake than anything which would help patients.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies