A Presidency Salvaged, and a Drink Too Much
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:58:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Presidency Salvaged, and a Drink Too Much
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: What is your opinion of this timeline?
Good

It's okay

This needs to stop...

It's awesome!

It makes me puke every time I smell it

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: A Presidency Salvaged, and a Drink Too Much  (Read 9970 times)
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2012, 04:20:05 PM »

This is really good Cheesy
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2012, 04:21:26 PM »

Thanks!  People on ah.com are beginning to piss me off, maybe I'll make this an atlas exclusive Wink
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2012, 03:09:46 PM »

Bump.  I'm gonna try to crank out another update today.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2012, 03:11:55 PM »

Please!
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2012, 03:25:32 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2012, 03:46:29 PM by Jerseyrules »

3-12-1900:
"Well, Grover, it's been one Hell of a ride."
"It's been BULLY spending these last eight years together [drags cogar].  But what's next for me?  I really don't know where to go or what to do-"
"I'll appoint you Governor of Baja California!  Franny will LOVE the weather there!" [both chuckle]
"No, but seriously, after sixteen years of running for this office, serving in it, I feel like there's something I need to do afterwards...."
"Listen, you're a brilliant man, and you've bad a great legal career; I'll appoint you Justice of the Supreme Court, or Attorney General-"
"No.  I don't want to do anything but it back and relax.  I just realized, I might not have very long to live.  I am going to spend more time doing this [holds up cigar and scotch] with people like you.  I'm going to ride off into the sunset before I'm too old to walk.  I want to be remembered as the man who served his country and knew when his time was up."
"I suppose this means that there's no chance of a bit of friendly competition this election?"
"You actually thought I would want a FOURTH TERM?  What the Hell kind of madman would want to spend more than twelve years here!  I thank God every day I lost in 88 so that I didn't have to serve 12 years straight!  It's positively maddening to think that-"
"I'm going to serve for sixteen at least."
"WHAT?!  Although, I suppose that would be your kind of madman" [both roar with laughter as their wives enter, to take them back to the ballroom.]

7-12-1900:
Vice President Adlai Stevenson, Mayor of New York City William Randolph Hearst and William Jennings Bryan grapple for the Democratic nomination.  After seven ballots, the Vice President is nominated, promising to serve only one term and support Hearst in 1904.  Meanwhile, New York Judge Alton Parker builds up enough support to add the Gold Standard to their platform.

8-21-1900:
The Republican nomination is a much easier affair.  With all potential competitors out of the way, Senate Pro Tem Theodore Roosevelt is easily nominated for the presidency, with only minor candidates in opposition.  He also is given full control of the platform going into the convention, and the real Teddy came out: the platform called for women's suffrage, an end to Jim Crow, and an end to the moratorium on Chinese immigration, all of which were heavily supported by the party's progressive elements.  He did maintain his staunch conservatism on the economy, however, he was in support of private land reservations for recreation and wildlife preservation.  As Teddy took to the campaign trail, the Third Party System of American Politics was at its end, and the Fourth Party System was just beginning....

morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2012, 04:03:34 AM »

Update please.

Looks interesting, though I'm not sure where this is going.
Captain Chaos
GZ67
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2012, 07:42:27 AM »

Bully!!!
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2012, 09:03:15 AM »

Sorry guys, I've been busy with finals, etc.  I promise an update over the weekend if not Friday, when school gets out
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2012, 12:15:49 PM »

11-6-1900:
Theodore Roosevelt wins in landslide!

Theodore Roosevelt / Thomas Brackett Reed (R): 57.4% PV
Adlai Stevenson / William Randolph Hearst (D): 42.1% PV

After campaigning on a pro-Civil Rights and pro-Universal Suffrage platform, President Cleveland's protege easily dispatches the more laid-back, much less aggressive Adlai Stevenson to become the twenty-fifth president of the United States!

Many historians point to Democratic fatigue, the lackluster Stevenson campaign (which couldn't even garner an endorsement from President Cleveland), in addition to the aggressive campaign style that Roosevelt utilized, completely new to American politics.  Senator Roosevelt once made seven speeches in one day, and America fell in love with the manly cowboy from New York, so much so that the Vice President couldn't even win the entirety of the Old Confederacy, not even garnering 100 electoral votes.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2012, 12:33:05 PM »

Just given the size of his land-slide, it looks like TR wouldn't be able to replicate it & end up pulling a Wilson.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2012, 12:39:47 AM »

Just given the size of his land-slide, it looks like TR wouldn't be able to replicate it & end up pulling a Wilson.

Perhaps.  To be honest I'm not even sure of what 04 will look like (mwahahahaha)

Just out of curiosity, how do you guys like the TR and Cleveland dialogues?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2012, 12:01:18 PM »

BTW, I'd have to disagree with the 1896 map. Without a Bryanite, pro-silver takeover of the Democrats, the default party to win the West is the Republicans. And if not the Republicans (after all, Thomas Brackett Reed was pro-gold as well), the Populists are likely to win a couple of states, methinks, especially if the Panic of 1893 goes as it did in OTL. My two cents anyway.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2012, 07:17:31 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2012, 07:21:47 PM by Jerseyrules »

BTW, I'd have to disagree with the 1896 map. Without a Bryanite, pro-silver takeover of the Democrats, the default party to win the West is the Republicans. And if not the Republicans (after all, Thomas Brackett Reed was pro-gold as well), the Populists are likely to win a couple of states, methinks, especially if the Panic of 1893 goes as it did in OTL. My two cents anyway.

The panic of 93 didnt happen as per otl, thus "salvaging" Cleveland's presidency.  The populists didn't field a candidate because their main spokesman, WJB, publicly and privately was afraid of a third party fracturing the democratic base, thus fracturing his support with the establishment, which he would need to run for President in the future.  Stevenson was ITTL ambiguous on his stance on Gold, and while in OTL he was pro-Gold, ITTL he was a compromise candidate between the two factions of the Dems.  Also, Bryan did not make his Cross of Gold speech as per otl.  Bryan realized that he couldn't win, and thought if a moderate/pro-gold candidate went down in flames, he would have a better chance at running for the nomination in 04, 08, or whenever.  Finally, Cleveland has infiltrated the deepest levels of the democratic establishment and has personally selected (unofficially) about 70% of the delegates.  Finally, TR and Cleveland did a good job of suppressing the populist elements of their respective parties, which has made the populist movement much less of a concern than otl, though it does remain an important voting bloc
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies