talking points that piss you off
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:52:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  talking points that piss you off
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: talking points that piss you off  (Read 29766 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2012, 04:14:59 PM »

Anything involving the words "create jobs" or "job creators".
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2012, 04:17:04 PM »

So the whole 95% tax rate we had from 1945-1973... it generated no revenue at all?
Pretty much. Tens of Thousands of wealthy people and celebrities moved abroad. When the top rate was cut to 60%, revenue more than doubled.
Don't forget, Taxman by the Beatles was a protest against that exact policy.. "Should 5 percent appear to small".

Tax loopholes =/= higher top rates not being a good idea.
Rooney
United States

« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2012, 05:09:43 PM »

"Wisconsin values" in the recall race. What in the heck does that even mean? I once tried to land a job in Watertown, WI, and I can assume that Wisconsin values is eating a lot of dairy products and walking your dog while riding on a riding lawnmower.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2012, 07:08:11 PM »

such and such is "voting against their own interest"  (the assumption being that self-interest must be defined as narrowly as possible and is predictable to someone thousands of miles away)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2012, 05:27:22 AM »

Noone on here would recognize the ones that really get on my hips.

Oh, but do explain.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2012, 08:29:55 AM »

So the whole 95% tax rate we had from 1945-1973... it generated no revenue at all?
Pretty much. Tens of Thousands of wealthy people and celebrities moved abroad. When the top rate was cut to 60%, revenue more than doubled.
Don't forget, Taxman by the Beatles was a protest against that exact policy.. "Should 5 percent appear to small".

Tax loopholes =/= higher top rates not being a good idea.

It's not necessarily about loopholes. It just distorts the economy in a way that lowers efficiency.

And regardless, high rates always lead to loopholes. You may not like this, but it's a political reality.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2012, 10:07:46 AM »

Thinking of ones that haven't already been mentioned:

-Basically any defense of the Electoral College, especially the idea that it forces candidates to campaign across the country instead of just the most populated states, when it just disenfranchises tons of people like the conservative parts of California and all the blacks in the Deep South, and just means that only a handful of large swing states matter. It does the opposite.
-People who act like it's unfair that a candidate can win a state election or the popular vote with just a few urban counties with the vast majority of the state's geography voting against them. The funny thing is that the reasoning is usually that it's not fair for some area and demographic to be able to dominate the rest of the state on a numerical advantage and candidates should need to have a broader appeal, but such urban counties are much more diverse and have a broad range of interest groups than a ton of tiny rural counties.
-Any scared suburbanite who acts like US cities are similar to Sarejevo in the early 90s and any random person is likely to get shot.
-This isn't really used by anyone besides libertarian-ish trolls/quasi-trolls, but the idea that it's hypocritical to support "state intervention" in things like health care and yet also oppose things like the War on Drugs or PATRIOT Act, sort of based on the idea that your political philosophy must be that all government intervention is good if you support it in some areas.
freefair
United Kingdom

« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2012, 11:17:02 AM »

High tax rates are a disincentive to increase earnings , productivity, and revenue, as well as a loophole/avoidance creating tool.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2012, 12:54:17 PM »

"Family values" and "moral values", especially when used interchangeably with conservative Christian values.

Using prominent blacks and women in the GOP to pretend that the GOP isn't racist or sexist.

Equating equal rights with special rights.

Let the people decide, in regards to gay marriage bans (as if all laws are voted on by the people).

"For the children", in relation to sexuality, while ignoring things like health care, poverty, bullying, and corporal punishment.

"Smaller government" while supporting government intervention in the most private areas of our lives.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2012, 12:58:19 PM »

Thinking of ones that haven't already been mentioned:

-Basically any defense of the Electoral College, especially the idea that it forces candidates to campaign across the country instead of just the most populated states, when it just disenfranchises tons of people like the conservative parts of California and all the blacks in the Deep South, and just means that only a handful of large swing states matter. It does the opposite.
-People who act like it's unfair that a candidate can win a state election or the popular vote with just a few urban counties with the vast majority of the state's geography voting against them. The funny thing is that the reasoning is usually that it's not fair for some area and demographic to be able to dominate the rest of the state on a numerical advantage and candidates should need to have a broader appeal, but such urban counties are much more diverse and have a broad range of interest groups than a ton of tiny rural counties.

I guess I'd agree with that.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Coming where I come from, similar beliefs about Detroit are all too common, they I don't protest them. They seem fitting.

I guess I'd agree here, but of course in the opposite direction.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2012, 01:28:20 PM »

"a woman's right to choose" - but the human being inside the womb cannot choose
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2012, 02:21:55 PM »
« Edited: June 10, 2012, 04:28:28 PM by realisticidealist »

Along with this:

1. Couching marriage in terms of rights
2. Almost anything with the words freedom or liberty in it
3. Saying the separation of church and state is absolute/misconstruing its meaning
Corollary: "Religious people are inherently ignorant/blind/stupid/irrational and shouldn't be in public conversation"
4. "Marijuana is less dangerous than alcohol" [Not because it's wrong but because it's a really stupid argument]
5. Anything whatsoever that mentions states' rights
6. "The people have spoken" or anything similar that supposes popular support (especially for a party but not an issue) gives moral or even political legitimacy
7. "The American people are cutting back so government should too" [ugh]
8. Anything that talks about economics in non-quantitative absolutes
9. Anything calling politicians blanketly corrupt/stupid/evil/bad etc.
10. Anything calling government blanketly corrupt/stupid/evil/bad/etc.

There're plenty more I'm sure.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2012, 03:24:48 PM »
« Edited: June 10, 2012, 03:34:29 PM by 中国共产党=criminals »

That's a simple fact. You can die of an overdosis of alcohol, but not from smoking pot.
Why does that irritate you?

One that irritates me is:

"Guns don't kill, people do" and anything similar.
An apparant truism, that is both simplistic and stupid and miss the point.

k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2012, 03:43:24 PM »

I hope you extend the right to choose to warts and tumours

Also, marijuana is less harmful than alcohol as has been shown in countless scientific studies - there's less potential for addiction, it's far less likely to be related to violence and it's possible to overdose on alcohol - no-one has ever died from a marijuana overdose.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2012, 04:05:44 PM »

The old argument: who was before the egg or the hen? When a foetus can be regarded as a human being? We`ll never end arguing.

Along with this:

1. Couching marriage in terms of rights

3. Saying the separation of church and state is absolute/misconstruing its meaning
Corollary: Religious people are inherently ignorant/blind/stupid/irrational and shouldn't be in public conversation

1. Marriage is attached with certain social and economic advantages and with civil rights so this doesn`t piss me off.

3. Separation of church and state does not imply lack of respect towards personal beliefs, so the corollary seems to be wrong.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2012, 04:26:54 PM »

That's a simple fact. You can die of an overdosis of alcohol, but not from smoking pot.

It's not that it's factually inaccurate; it's just a very poor argument. In fact, to me, it's a perfectly good argument for banning alcohol.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2012, 08:27:27 PM »

You are pissed off by freedom and liberty?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2012, 10:32:42 PM »

You are pissed off by freedom and liberty?

Not exactly. Mostly it's a couple of things: First, the way people use those words in political discussions as silver bullets that they think magically win conversations. Second, the way those concepts are commonly construed I believe is very limiting and disservicing. Third, the way people frequently believe that these things are always or nearly always good things or, even more so, that their maximization represents the highest echelon in the hierarchy of political ideals despite that aforementioned limited view of what these words mean, and most of all that this view should be universally accepted.

I believe that freedom, liberty, and choice are amoral constructs whose proliferation and even simple existence are not always desireable ends. I do not think that they are bad per se; I just think that our understanding and discourse about freedom assumes far too much and that a more nuanced view could benefit society.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2012, 06:14:28 AM »

I hope you extend the right to choose to warts and tumours

How can warts and tumours be equated with developing human beings? Do warts and tumours have characteristics that clearly identify them as "human" just like embryos and fetuses? Your comparison only makes sense if you can answer these questions in the affirmative.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2012, 01:55:18 PM »

Another really annoying one is people using words which no one would argue with to describe their views (e.g pro life, pro growth) as if their opponents are against these things.
Rooney
United States

« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2012, 06:21:25 PM »

I also hate it when someone negatively refers to something Congress, the president, a mayor or state legislature does as "politics." Jay Carney referred to the Congressional investigation of Fast and Furious as "politics." Well, duh! Congress is made of politicians so everything they do is thus "politics."
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2012, 08:08:51 PM »

It's not that it's factually inaccurate; it's just a very poor argument. In fact, to me, it's a perfectly good argument for banning alcohol.

Because that was such a success.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2012, 10:02:36 PM »

"Pro-life but pro-death penalty"
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2012, 10:44:26 PM »

Because that was such a success.

Irrelevant.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2012, 10:53:14 PM »

1. "Independents vote for whoever is the most moderate"
2. "Most people don't pay taxes"
3. "10 out of 10 terrorists vote Democrat"
4. "Pro-choice people are bad Catholics, but pro-death penalty pro-war and anti-poor people are good Catholics"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies