talking points that piss you off (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:14:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  talking points that piss you off (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: talking points that piss you off  (Read 29832 times)
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: June 06, 2012, 08:07:05 AM »
« edited: June 06, 2012, 08:19:04 AM by baptisedgirls4eva »

particularly annoying talking points:

-"family values." the only people that say this are either ones too cowardly to come out and say what we all know they really mean or people that are so clueless that they totally miss what it's actually code for and instead think it sounds nice and fuzzy.

-"iran wants to wipe israel off the map." this has been debunked so many times, not to mention it makes no logical sense. why would iran want to fire a nuke at a country with hundreds of them that is unconditionally supported by the us. use your head.

-"you're a conspiracy theorist." this is never in reference to an actual conspiracy, just a response by idiots whenever you mention things like the fast and furious scandal. anything remotely critical of the government now is a conspiracy theory according to obamabots. it's like what happened to the word 'racist.'

-"lesser of 2 evils"

-"socialized medicine." this is not an argument.

-"the poor/48% pay no taxes." right because sales tax, payroll tax, cigarette taxes, gasoline tax, property tax, etc. don't count. this is so idiotic. to make it worse it's normally paired with something similarly inane and disingenuous like "everyone needs some skin in the game" to justify supporting tax hikes for poor people.

-"i support a strong defense."  because anyone that has a problem with the military budget constantly expanding regardless of our financial situation or need obviously wants a weak defense.

-"clinton reduced the debt." no president has reduced the debt in my lifetime, this isn't hard to google either. what happened was congress stole money from social security (as usual) and that resulted in the deficit going down a bit for awhile. and then they kept borrowing from it but still managed to run massive deficits under bush.

-speaking of which: "obama ended the iraq war." no, by the time he got in most of the people fighting in iraq were armed contractors. that's still the case, we still have a huge heavily armed military base there which isn't going away. the fact that the media reported the iraq war was ending twice should have tipped you off that something was not quite right.

-"reagan reduced spending/never gave amnesty/[insert ridiculous claim]."  

- "reagan conservative." he's totally irrelevant to most people now. a huge chunk of the electorate either wasn't born when he was in office or (in my case) were far too young to remember any of his presidency other than what we learned second-hand. the constant idolizing and insistence that you're a "reagan conservative!" in 2012 is embarrassing as far as I'm concerned. stop talking about how you want to to be an imitation of someone who was dead before I finished high school, and start proposing solutions to problems now. it's not like you see democrats talking about how they're "fdr progressives."

-"saved or created [insert] million jobs." if you want to argue for keynesian economics ok whatever, but please don't insult my intelligence.

-"white privilege." this is such an infuriating oversimplification. there's so much evidence pointing towards poor scotts irish actually having worse education and career prospects than minorities in this country for example. white people are not a monolithic group, there are definitely significant outcome differences for people based on other variables like class or ethnicity still.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 02:59:21 PM »

or you could you know, move on and post something else on the thread.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies