Opinion of Dora the Explorer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:07:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of Dora the Explorer
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Opinion of Dora the Explorer
Freedom Cartoon

Horrible Cartoon

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Opinion of Dora the Explorer  (Read 15184 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2012, 09:51:13 PM »

What do you mean? Animated? Educational (which MLP isn't other than the morals they had to stick on to be legally counted as educational programming)?

Animated TV that comes up under the "Children & Families" tab on my TV guide.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2012, 09:52:32 PM »

What do you mean? Animated? Educational (which MLP isn't other than the morals they had to stick on to be legally counted as educational programming)?

Animated TV that comes up under the "Children & Families" tab on my TV guide.

That's really broad.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2012, 10:01:43 PM »

South Park has been labbeld as such at least once, so don't count on them.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2012, 12:08:10 AM »

It has approximately as much intelligence in it as the average episode of South Park and both are about equal in sophistication.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2012, 12:46:08 AM »

It's a kid show don't judge it harshly. But I have to say it isn't as bad as Barney or Teletubbies, or even Dinosaur Train.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2012, 12:51:43 AM »

It's a kid show don't judge it harshly.

As noted there are kids shows like Yo Gabba Gabba and My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic that aren't utterly painful to watch.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2012, 12:54:30 AM »

As noted there are kids shows like Yo Gabba Gabba and My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic that aren't utterly painful to watch.

The latter is the only kids show that isn't painful to watch. Dora is just middle ground.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2012, 06:38:37 AM »

Children, you may remember, come in different sizes.  Some are small, with simple brains.  They like the repetition (Dora, Barney).  Some are a little bigger, they like silliness (Spongebob).  Others are even bigger and like to have a bit of plot and character development (I guess My Little Pony, all the live action shows on Disney, that nerd that invents things).  But the thing to remember is they are all aimed at children.  Now, I'm not saying people over the age of 14 can't enjoy these shows, of course they can.  It just makes the rest of us question their maturity level and whether or not we can trust them when they say things like "Avatar was teh awesome!". 

(and Dudes my age that are WAY into My Little Pony creep me the hell out.  My 15 year old daughter watches the show "ironically"....and she's 15.  No, it doesn't prove you're a pedo, but it certainly makes you look like you might be one.  It certainly proves you have no taste and too much time on your hands.)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2012, 11:04:15 AM »

DO NOT COMPARE FiM TO LIVE-ACTION DISNEY. EVER. Tongue

(and Dudes my age that are WAY into My Little Pony creep me the hell out.  My 15 year old daughter watches the show "ironically"....and she's 15.  No, it doesn't prove you're a pedo, but it certainly makes you look like you might be one.  It certainly proves you have no taste and too much time on your hands.)

Fuck off.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2012, 11:10:18 AM »

DO NOT COMPARE FiM TO LIVE-ACTION DISNEY. EVER. Tongue

For that matter, comparing Avatar to My Little Pony, while not insulting to either per se, is...well, it's not something that I would have immediately thought of, to say the least.

I don't understand why anybody bothers with bad work for children, including children, and I don't understand why anybody dismisses out of hand good work for children, including adults. Dora the Explorer, being for toddlers who aren't fully lingual yet, is a bit tiresome, but in some ways there's a lot less, shall we say, aesthetic-psychological difference between older children and adults than a lot of us in the modern western world like to think.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2012, 11:14:52 AM »

(and Dudes my age that are WAY into My Little Pony creep me the hell out.  My 15 year old daughter watches the show "ironically"....and she's 15.  No, it doesn't prove you're a pedo, but it certainly makes you look like you might be one.  It certainly proves you have no taste and too much time on your hands.)

Whoa, there are guys your age who watch a show aimed at little girls?  I thought it was bad enough to see guys in their teens and 20's watching it.  Yeah, definitely some sketchy motivations going on there.

BTW, this thread has been a real treat.  We don't usually get to see BRTD admitting to something embarrassing twice in one week!
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2012, 11:18:13 AM »

Again, there's nothing at all inherently indicting in the aesthetic or artistic sense about being aimed at little girls. I'm not even really into My Little Pony and I think that line of argument is ridiculous.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2012, 11:23:16 AM »
« Edited: June 08, 2012, 05:57:53 PM by SoEA SJoyceFla »

Dudes my age being into My Little Pony creeps me out, and I'm about the same age as your daughter, so it's not an age thing.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2012, 01:15:32 PM »

Here's some Fridge Brilliance for you: Dora lives in a computer. The word for computer in spanish is "computadora."
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2012, 01:26:39 PM »

Here's some Fridge Brilliance for you: Dora lives in a computer. The word for computer in spanish is "computadora."

OMG THE PEOPLE WHO WRITE THIS APPARENTLY HAVE A BRAIN !!!1!!11

Not like it makes things better...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2012, 03:40:30 PM »

My Little Pony appears to be only on once a week (as advertised), and I've somehow avoided seeing it so far, because we're usually out on Sundays.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2012, 04:14:15 PM »

As I type this, there's a Google ad for Dora toys.

The world will end soon.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2012, 04:26:41 PM »

Do I need to make a "Dora" thread to keep the "My Little Pony" ghetto company?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2012, 06:08:39 PM »

Do I need to make a "Dora" thread to keep the "My Little Pony" ghetto company?

This is that thread.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2012, 06:14:04 PM »

Can we get this out once and for all? Why the Hell are people watching "My Little Pony", ironically or not? What the Hell has happened to this world?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2012, 07:09:01 PM »

Can we get this out once and for all? Why the Hell are people watching "My Little Pony", ironically or not? What the Hell has happened to this world?

http://icrontic.com/article/why-grown-ass-men-love-my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-so-much

http://sdmomfia.com/2011/06/bronies-adult-men-who-like-my-little-pony/
http://the-land-shark.deviantart.com/art/Why-Guys-Like-My-Little-Pony-202579900
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2011/06/bronies-my-little-ponys/

These are what the Internet says is the answer to your 1st/2nd questions. The 3rd will take a lot longer than a few links.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2012, 08:13:51 PM »

After discovering it was on Netflix Watch Instantly, I decided to try watching it last night to see how far I could make it into an episode. I made it only 8 minutes. It was the most repetitive mind-numbing nonsense I've ever seen. What's with Dora talking to the viewer and asking us to say things and all that? And you can stop Swiper just by saying "Swiper no swiping"? What the hell? Then the introduction to the map which was a song that was basically just him singing "I'm a map!" over and over. This is seriously the dumbest and most pointless show EVER. Horrible Cartoon.

Well, you're certainly self-centered.  This might come as a shock to you, but there are a few TV shows out there that are simply not aiming to have you as a fan.

Anyways, Dora is a mildly educational show that makes an effort at interactivity.  TV watching really isn't good for a kid's brain (or anyone's brain, really) precisely because it is normally a purely passive medium.  From a cognitive standpoint, I suspect Dora the Explorer is better for kids than most other shows.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2012, 10:02:35 PM »

Maybe because it's a well-written and funny show with solid animation and production values and good well-developed characters? Kind of the polar opposite of South Park in fact...

Most people don't watch the show "ironically", and I suspect dead0man's daughter really just appreciates it for being as good as it is, but is too embarrassed to admit otherwise.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2012, 10:04:48 PM »

My cousin used to watch this I think. Don't think I've ever seen it myself.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2012, 07:53:41 AM »

I've written this while being very sick, medicated, and sleep deprived. So of this comes off as rambling gibberish, then please disregard it and consider me a crazy person.

None of these are actual explanations, and I genuinely read them because I wanted to see an answer to that question. The first two links essentially admit that the appreciation for My Little Pony is, indeed, ironic in nature, with the first link explicitly arguing that it's mostly just increasingly popular for the sake of being popular (people liking it, because other people like it) the third is just someone's random blog about how he likes it because.. he desperately needed to think of a reason, and the last article, it being Wired of course, was the most interesting, but only because it reminded me of an older Wired article on "neo-sincerity."

The article on neo-sincerity is a much better read for understanding the increasing popularity of MLP, because what that trend is, is essentially just reverse-irony. Symbolic of the overall trend in the last few years of some in society kicking off the ironic backlash to irony. As the article highlighted:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The love for My Little Pony is basically just rooted in a wild overreaction to a broader pop culture that has been too saturated in ironic detachment. The, of course, ironic thing, is that the overreaction is just as feigned and f**king annoying as someone trying too hard to be ironic. This rebellious attitude to the irony of the 90s and early 00's "risks being labeled as melodramatic" because it is (childish, and) melodramatic. It's the opposite end of the spectrum, basically. Postured and annoying, but for entirely opposed reasons.

A logical and objective reason for liking something (anything, really) is not necessary, but it becomes necessary when you apply objective terms to it and you attempt to place it on a pedestal as something greater than it really is.

My Little Pony succeeds because of several factors:

1. Ironic appreciation. This is inarguably what spawned the "fad."

2. Being part of the zeitgeist with the rest of the cool kids. People are into it because, for other people, it's the hot new thing to be into, and while they're into it, they're going to be really into it.

3. Over the top "neo-sincerity," wherein people seem to feel the need to go above and beyond the call of duty in trying to make sure everyone around them knows for goddamn sure that they just loovvveee My Little Pony.

4. Kids.

At the end of that Wired article, it highlights someone from New York magazine who writes about how neo-sincerity could be just as, if not more, dangerous than ironic detachment. About how fanboy culture has "won," and yet, in doing so, it's also done irreparable damage to what being a nerdy little fanboy was originally all about, creating two distinct camps: people who hate everything, and hate everyone that doesn't hate everything, and people who love the things they love a little too much, and shun everyone that doesn't conform to the fanboyish group-think.

In other words, there is increasingly less and less room for people who don't have a position in either camp. Who love some things and hate some things, but don't feel the need to go out of their way to unnecessarily throw the things they love and hate in other people's faces. Who don't posture either way, they just have opinions and that's that.

So basically, what I'm saying is, keep your goddamn pony memes to yourself and out of the hair of people who want nothing to do with it. If something is truly worth loving, it's worth loving quietly.

Also, everyone should go join The AV Club.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies