The Top 10 Worst U.S. Presidents (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:04:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  The Top 10 Worst U.S. Presidents (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Top 10 Worst U.S. Presidents  (Read 10025 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: June 19, 2012, 06:55:46 PM »

I think that even if Lincoln was a racist, he still recognized blacks as people.  His actions suggested exactly the opposite, and actions speak louder than words.  Looking at it objectively, I believe the real list of the worst Presdents thus far (in descending order) is more like this:

10. Harding
9. Grant
8. Nixon
7. Garfield
6. Fillmore
5. Carter
4. William Harrison
3. Andrew Johnson
2. Buchanan
1. Pierce

The only reason Harrison and Garfield are on this list is because they really didn't do much.  Not that it was their fault; both men died so soon into their terms that they didn't have a chance to get a whole lot done.  As for Grant, Harding, and Nixon, they are on my list simply because of their scandals.  In my opining, all three of them were pretty good Presidents once you put aside those scandals.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 02:40:28 PM »

There is a book that came out recently that shows (using quotes) that Lincoln was not at all a big government advocate.  I can't remember the title, but it's probably worth reading.  I don't think that a good or bad president is defined by how much they expand the federal government.  I would say that Lincoln was our best president, and FDR, TR, Polk, and Truman would all be in my top ten or twenty best as well.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 06:18:34 PM »
« Edited: June 25, 2012, 06:30:22 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

You two. Name one thing, one simple thing WHH failed at during his term in office. Name one terrible thing he did (this excluding things he did not do) that makes him deserve that ranking (asides from long-windedness).
Being an utter failure at staying alive. In all seriousness, him and Garfield should probably be left off the list.

It makes more sense than having Roosevelt and Lincoln as the 3rd and 2nd worst.
I said in my previous post that I only put them on the list because they didn't get much done during their terms.  Of course, that's not their fault, because they both died before they could really accomplish anything.  I would agree that is isn't entirely fair to put them on this list, but I was trying to come up with ten.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 09:00:25 AM »

I tend not to define "worst" & "best" along ideological lines, but more in terms of success, priniple, & significance. Also, hating on guys who died is just uncalled for.

Not sure who I'd pick.

Also, Oldiesfreak1854, I'd love to see that book.
I forget the title, but I read about it in a review in one of my issues of National Review or The Weekly Standard.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies