Commerce Secretary John Bryson in felony hit-and-run, then ANOTHER car accident.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:02:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Commerce Secretary John Bryson in felony hit-and-run, then ANOTHER car accident.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Commerce Secretary John Bryson in felony hit-and-run, then ANOTHER car accident.  (Read 1763 times)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 11, 2012, 08:45:37 AM »
« edited: June 19, 2012, 10:07:52 PM by Nym90 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18391700
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 08:47:56 AM »

Well since there is no indication of drugs or alcohol, I hope his medical condition isn't too severe....and if it  WAS a medical condition, they won't pursue felony charges.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 08:50:25 AM »

Well since there is no indication of drugs or alcohol, I hope his medical condition isn't too severe....and if it  WAS a medical condition, they won't pursue felony charges.

A medical condition that causes one to flee the scene of an accident?  Some medical condition.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 09:11:25 AM »

A medical condition that causes one to flee the scene of an accident?  Some medical condition.

Easy wormy....he might not have even understood what was happening.  Let's let the chips fall before we play our hand.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 09:36:04 AM »

This reminds me of Bob Novak. He did something like this - blacking out while driving and not remembering. He had a brain tumor and was dead within a year. Hopefully that is not the case here.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 09:40:17 AM »

This reminds me of Bob Novak. He did something like this - blacking out while driving and not remembering. He had a brain tumor and was dead within a year. Hopefully that is not the case here.

Ah, well you cited my earlier point to wormy nicely......I forgot about Novak.  

Yeah unless there is a true crime here, not just a medical condition, they might  just want to drop all of the charges.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 10:39:09 AM »

And it was a seizure.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 11:08:44 AM »

He passed a breathalyzer test right after the accident, so he probably wasn't drunk. He was unconscious when they found him too; most likely, all charges will be dropped.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 11:16:09 AM »

Attribution of responsibility and intent is not so simple, wormy.   Getting old is universal and hazardous medical conditions - possible at any age - become more and more common as we get older.

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 01:52:53 PM »

It seems Bryson is epileptic, or at least had a seizure of some sort.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 01:57:45 PM »

How would that cause him to drive away from the first accident? I can see how it caused the second one, but you'd think he wouldn't have been able to crash into a car, talk to the driver, then drive away, hitting it again, and then drive into another town.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 02:46:52 PM »

I thought Gary Locke was Commerce Secretary?  The more you know!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 04:30:47 PM »

I thought Gary Locke was Commerce Secretary?  The more you know!

He was, then he left to be ambassador to China. Which apparently is a promotion these days. Sad
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 05:18:51 PM »

I'm furious about this. I wanted to assume the absolute worst and most malicious of a public figure.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 05:45:21 PM »

I'm furious about this. I wanted to assume the absolute worst and most malicious of a public figure.

That is Attorney General Holder.  I know it's confusing. So many cabinet officers, so little time. Tongue
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 05:50:20 PM »

How would that cause him to drive away from the first accident? I can see how it caused the second one, but you'd think he wouldn't have been able to crash into a car, talk to the driver, then drive away, hitting it again, and then drive into another town.

I'm not sure, but I guess we'll see. He might have brain damage or something after this. He might also be an asshole.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 08:33:16 PM »

There are various forms of epilepsy Hawkeye.  Jerking seizures are the stereotypical form because they are the most obvious, but far more common are what are called absence seizures in which a part of the brain stops functioning for a while, but the rest continues to function normally.  My sister suffers from epilepsy and while her medications have it under control now, when she had an absence seizure, she'd look around, somewhat glassy-eyed and tend to keep doing whatever she had been doing before the seizure began, but poorly as if she were drunk.  Sometimes she can even respond during those seizures, but usually they are too intense for that.

So from personal experience I can attest that it is quite possible for Bryson to have had a mild absence seizure that would have led to the first accident and then while it was still going on have gotten out of the car, get back in and then drive away to get into the second.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 09:50:33 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/11/politics/california-bryson/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Commerce Secy is taking a leave of absence to undergo tests.

Probably a smart move on the Secy's part to avoid further embarrassment to the Administration after what has been a pretty shotty week for Team Obama.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 11:40:40 PM »

Probably a smart move on the Secy's part to avoid further embarrassment to the Administration after what has been a pretty shotty week for Team Obama.

I know this may be heresy around here since this is politics board, but people do occasionally do things for non-political reasons.  With or without a prior history of seizures, this accident is ample justification to find out what's gone wrong.  (If he does have a prior history, it is a sad fact that for no apparent reason the medications that are used to control the seizures can stop working, requiring either a change in the dosage or a change in the medicines used.  If he does not have a prior history this could be the signal of something more serious.)
BigSkyBob

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 11:53:22 PM »

I know this may be heresy around here since this is politics board, but people do occasionally do things for non-political reasons.  With or without a prior history of seizures, this accident is ample justification to find out what's gone wrong.  (If he does have a prior history, it is a sad fact that for no apparent reason the medications that are used to control the seizures can stop working, requiring either a change in the dosage or a change in the medicines used.  If he does not have a prior history this could be the signal of something more serious.)

The real scandal in Washington is how poorly we are governed.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 12:06:42 AM »

Regardless of the cause, he should lose his license.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 08:22:55 AM »

He will.  They'll yank it for medical.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 11:33:15 AM »

And, he should lose his job. Zombie walkers shouldn't attend cabinet meetings. Having lost meta-level control of their actions, how do we know they won't give overly forthcoming answers to requests for sensitive information?

Having a medical problem ought to be a complete defense to the charges against him, but, we do have to carefully analyze whether, or not, he is a security risk.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 11:54:09 PM »

Hmmm...I always value Louie Gohmert's opinions on these types of things.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2012, 12:48:47 AM »

And, he should lose his job. Zombie walkers shouldn't attend cabinet meetings. Having lost meta-level control of their actions, how do we know they won't give overly forthcoming answers to requests for sensitive information?

Having a medical problem ought to be a complete defense to the charges against him, but, we do have to carefully analyze whether, or not, he is a security risk.

While I do agree with you, considering how useless the Commerce Secretary's job is I wonder what info he'd even have to leak. Ya think he'd accidentally release secret weather info from the NOAA, or maybe he'd spill the beans on classified Census data? Tongue
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies