Jeb Bush... Becoming the voice of moderate Republicans?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:04:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Jeb Bush... Becoming the voice of moderate Republicans?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Jeb Bush... Becoming the voice of moderate Republicans?  (Read 4770 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2012, 01:40:25 PM »

Jeb's broad generalizations about the Pubs are rather bereft of specifics. Maybe given his reference to his daddy's budget deal that ended up sort of tanking him politically,  he means the budget deal that fell though, where Boehner puts the blame squarely on Obama for pulling the plug on it when his base freaked. If so, that might not be the best example.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2012, 03:18:03 PM »

I'll be amused when Christine O'Donnell will be considered too moderate for the modern GOP.
What has Christine O' D Donnell ever done? She has lost 2 Senate Races. She had never been in local government. Even her work history is shady. I don't even get how she is even worth a post on this particular thread. I know my post is harsh but it had to be said.

She gets a post because she's an example of a nutcase in the current GOP. Feel free to replace with Rick Santorum or somebody.
hopper
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2012, 05:54:09 PM »

I'll be amused when Christine O'Donnell will be considered too moderate for the modern GOP.
What has Christine O' D Donnell ever done? She has lost 2 Senate Races. She had never been in local government. Even her work history is shady. I don't even get how she is even worth a post on this particular thread. I know my post is harsh but it had to be said.

She gets a post because she's an example of a nutcase in the current GOP. Feel free to replace with Rick Santorum or somebody.
O'Donnell didn't get elected. There is a reason why. At least Santorum got elected.
Purch
Rookie

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2012, 09:36:42 PM »

I don't think moderate was the word I was looking for. Simply, Jeb Bush realizes the need to actually govern often times means softening on partisan stances if it leads towards compromise. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2012, 11:15:41 PM »

I don't think moderate was the word I was looking for. Simply, Jeb Bush realizes the need to actually govern often times means softening on partisan stances if it leads towards compromise. 

True, a pragmatist isn't necessarily a moderate. See Stalin or Hitler.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2012, 05:28:58 AM »

Jeb's been particularly critical of the GOP on immigration, which has led some to infer that he's running for 2016:

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/06/jeb-bush-ready-for-2016.html

I can't tell if this is in fact the beginning of a 2016 campaign, or if he's just finally decided that he's through with politics, and so he might as well say what he really thinks.
Purch
Rookie

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2012, 05:34:52 AM »

I think he's trying to separate himself from the negative image of his brother for a potential run.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2012, 10:54:56 AM »

Jeb's been particularly critical of the GOP on immigration, which has led some to infer that he's running for 2016:

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/06/jeb-bush-ready-for-2016.html

I can't tell if this is in fact the beginning of a 2016 campaign, or if he's just finally decided that he's through with politics, and so he might as well say what he really thinks.

From your link, the below is hardly a flattering paragraph.  If Jeb took that approach in debates here, he would be cut to pieces.

"Other than that, Bush has largely followed the example of his brother’s 2000 campaign, offering a great deal of moderation in tone and very little in substance. This morning he spoke fulsomely on the merits of bipartisanship without committing himself to support a generalized move toward the center on anything other than immigration. In customary party fashion, he lashed President Obama for failing to fully endorse the Simpson-Bowles deficit-reduction plan, but subsequently admitted he would have opposed it as well due to its higher tax revenues."
milhouse24
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2012, 10:40:17 AM »

There is still a 1% chance Jeb could be VP even though he says he doesn't want it.  If Romney is up big in the polls and will beat Obama, then Jeb will beg to be on the ticket. 

Jeb is trying to run for 2016, but he's also saying a lot of this stuff now just in case he will be the VP, to separate him from the hard-right and look better to the liberal media. 

The vetting issue is a bit moot for Jeb.  I'm sure he has his own people vetting his background and finances because I'm sure he intends to run in 2016, and its important to know your own dirt and weaknesses before the opposition.  He's also been governor for a while, so much of the public scrutiny has already happened.  Romney would need to trust Jeb's vetting, and hope Jeb won't destroy the campaign just for his own run in 2016.  It won't be ideal for Romney, but Jeb is not begging for the job like the other VP candidates.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies