What Obama should have done in 2009 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:11:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  What Obama should have done in 2009 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What Obama should have done in 2009  (Read 5350 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« on: June 13, 2012, 06:10:08 PM »

1. Only slightly bigger stimulus, but no personal income tax cuts as part of it.

2. Tread water on health reform, and focus on jobs and housing from the beginning. HR was important, but when people are losing their livelihoods and their homes, health reform was not at the top of the agenda. So direct stimulus at infrastructure projects and undertake some kind of moratorium on foreclosures to ensure correct practices are being applied... increased foreclosures = low property values = less property taxes for state/local governments, that also drives down consumer spending and confidence and slows the economy.

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 06:43:06 PM »

OK... my basic point is that if the president had acted on jobs and housing and gotten the good-will of the American people, it could have made a) passing healthcare easier and b) made the 2010 midterms a little less bloody for the Dems.

In fact that was my view at the time.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 06:50:18 PM »

OK... my basic point is that if the president had acted on jobs and housing and gotten the good-will of the American people, it could have made a) passing healthcare easier and b) made the 2010 midterms a little less bloody for the Dems.

In fact that was my view at the time.

If you're responding to my long thing above, the comment was directed at the article, not you. Smiley

I knew that, I just wanted to put my comments in context with yours.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies