Romney Outlines Health Care Plan Using the Consumer Model
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:45:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney Outlines Health Care Plan Using the Consumer Model
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Romney Outlines Health Care Plan Using the Consumer Model  (Read 2988 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 13, 2012, 07:55:28 PM »

Romney lays out health-care plan using 'consumer market' model

By Philip Rucker
The Washington Post

You must be logged in to read this quote.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 08:58:41 PM »

The goal is admirable, but I just don't see how what he proposes actually achieves that.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 09:06:02 PM »

Because lord knows the private system was working so very well...

Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »

At least he has a plan, and actually a pretty decent plan, at that.  Before he was decrying ObamaCare with no plan on his own to back it up.  The current system is not working, and Romney knows that, so I'm glad he put his plan out there on the table.
Purch
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 09:19:56 PM »

Wow. Round of applause for actually presenting a legitimate alternative.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 09:21:36 PM »

So his plan is a crappy version of Obamacare?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 09:22:34 PM »

At least he has a plan, and actually a pretty decent plan, at that.  Before he was decrying ObamaCare with no plan on his own to back it up.  The current system is not working, and Romney knows that, so I'm glad he put his plan out there on the table.

a) the current system isn't fully in place yet

b) Romney's plan is just a mutation on the pre-Obamacare plan - with, I presume the popular elements attached, but without the unpopular elements to pay for it.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 10:03:19 PM »

Sigh.. This is a plan that is heavily reliant on talking points and an orthodoxy that has questionable relevance to the health care market. Unlike the automobile industry, where demand is derived from the consumer itself, demand for  health care services is set most often by the provider. The physician, the nurse, etc. These providers do not have a vested interest in keeping costs down, nor should they. The notion that "competition" will do anything to lower prices is stupid. These are clever buzzwords that do not apply to our health care market. Our method of paying for health care is through multiple insurance payers that operate as a cartel to keep premiums high.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 10:38:47 PM »

a) the current system isn't fully in place yet

b) Romney's plan is just a mutation on the pre-Obamacare plan - with, I presume the popular elements attached, but without the unpopular elements to pay for it.

When I say current system, I do not mean  Obamacare, because it's not supposed to take full effect until 2014 for some stupid reason, 4 full years after it was signed.  The current system is the system in place before any Obamacare elements have taken hold.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 12:11:39 AM »

So his plan is a crappy version of ObamaRomneycare?

Fixed.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 01:03:45 AM »

There is no way he can do anything to help people with pre-existing conditions without a mandate, otherwise premiums would skyrocket and that would compound problems even more. And I know he's not going to go for any sort of subsidized care of the uninsured. Where are the details on how would implement this and pay for it?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 01:06:11 AM »

So he's just taking parts of Obamacare and calling it a conservative, free-market plan. Okay.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 04:01:20 AM »

I don't get how this will work.
Purch
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 05:25:48 AM »

So he's just taking parts of Obamacare and calling it a conservative, free-market plan. Okay.

You act like he's stealing Obama's ideas and re inventing it. Did you forget this was the guy who originally made Obamacare so it's more accurate to say he's taking pieces of Romneycare. So what did you expect, was his healthcare plan not gonna have pieces of the most successful part of his stint as Governor.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 06:13:35 AM »

And his "plan" is absurd. Inefficient healthcare with an outrageous price tag.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 06:15:54 AM »

And in some states, the governments feel that the best way to care for people is to not care at all.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 06:22:07 AM »

And in some states, the governments feel that the best way to care for people is to not care at all.

Don't forget: Healthcare is a product like any other. I mean, you don't expect government to help you buy new tires for your car, right? (Although gas prices need to be low! Government does need to solve that urgent problem. How else could Soccer Moms drive their 15 mpg minivans back and forth to Wal Mart?)

Just get a job. Then you can buy private insurance at a market rate. What, the 50% co-pay is a problem? Well, it's not my problem if you get sick. We need more personal responsibility as the founders intended!
Purch
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 06:25:50 AM »
« Edited: June 14, 2012, 06:33:33 AM by Purch »

And in some states, the governments feel that the best way to care for people is to not care at all
Then if a state government isn't providing for the needs of their people shouldn't the people elect politicians who run on platforms of reforming their state health care system? State goverments have much more leeway to design whatever fits for a smaller amount of constitutes like Romney care in Mass.

Also don't get me wrong I'm not sold on states being effectively able to handle healthcare but I've also never been sold to Obamacare either. So I'd probably have to see a plan highlighted with payments/cost/coverage across the board before I'd make a decision
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 08:45:45 AM »

Poor states are going to need some money from some place to care for their impecunious uninsured sicks.  That's the bottom line Mitt.
So rightwing that I broke the Political Compass!
Rockingham

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 09:06:02 AM »

Poor states are going to need some money from some place to care for their impecunious uninsured sicks.  That's the bottom line Mitt.
I don't see why that is necessarily the case. The poorest state in the US(Mississippi) has a GDP per capita comparable to that of South Korea and Israel, which both manage to fund their healthcare without any outside assistance.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2012, 09:10:32 AM »

I don't see why that is necessarily the case. The poorest state in the US(Mississippi) has a GDP per capita comparable to that of South Korea and Israel, which both manage to fund their healthcare without any outside assistance.

Somehow I don't think that would translate well to the States. There are just so many variables in play. For example, to start off, Mississippi is full of sedentary fats.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2012, 09:26:22 AM »

Somehow I don't think that would translate well to the States. There are just so many variables in play. For example, to start off, Mississippi is full of sedentary fats.

who would also prefer to take blood pressure medicine, inject insulin, etc. rather than walk a block.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2012, 05:10:09 PM »

Quit subsidizing unhealthy food then, for starters. Of course, that won't happen, considering the fatty food's industry's stranglehold on this aspect of public health policy.
So rightwing that I broke the Political Compass!
Rockingham

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2012, 10:47:52 PM »

Sure, it would be harder for Mississippi. But hardly impossible.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2012, 07:24:04 AM »

Most of the 'markets' are monopolies or near-monopolies in which consumer choice that constrains individual choice does not exist. Firms operating as oligopolies have no competitive pressure other than the conscience of owners and administrators, and we all well know that conscience is a detriment to advancement in Big Business when it conflicts with the desires of extant elites. 

This is basically a call for what existed on January 19, 2009... nothing new. The economic argument is simply a platitude. Nothing constrains costs (at least break the monopoly that Big Pharma has) to the ultimate consumer.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies