Why Democrats should fear a second Obama term
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:19:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why Democrats should fear a second Obama term
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why Democrats should fear a second Obama term  (Read 4512 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 08:00:41 AM »

Thank you for your input. You may go now and you won't be missed.

Kal, don't actively attempt to drive new people away. Driving away people who are attempting to contribute isn't conductive to the survival of the community.

He was talking to Phips, who is a long-standing PITA

Ah. Nevermind then.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2012, 07:57:26 PM »

Kal, don't actively attempt to drive new people away. Driving away people who are attempting to contribute isn't conductive to the survival of the community.

He's been around forever, and is annoying as hell, especially in this area.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2012, 08:46:59 PM »

He's been around forever, and is annoying as hell, especially in this area.

I was talking about the guy with 2 posts who I thought Kal was talking about.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2012, 09:31:39 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2012, 09:33:11 PM by anvi »

How is a slow, incrementally increased retirement age tantamount to the privatization of Social Security?  Given our recent raids of the fund, the unsustainability of increasing costs over the long term and the increased life-expectancies of people, an incremental upward adjustment of the retirement age seems reasonable to me.  Obama would, in my view, by wise to strike a grand bargain--he would have been wiser to embrace Simpson-Bowles, but wisdom obviously hasn't come yet.  In any event, Obama isn't Paul Ryan...just ask Republicans.  Tongue
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2012, 10:30:24 PM »

How is a slow, incrementally increased retirement age tantamount to the privatization of Social Security?  Given our recent raids of the fund, the unsustainability of increasing costs over the long term and the increased life-expectancies of people, an incremental upward adjustment of the retirement age seems reasonable to me.  Obama would, in my view, by wise to strike a grand bargain--he would have been wiser to embrace Simpson-Bowles, but wisdom obviously hasn't come yet.  In any event, Obama isn't Paul Ryan...just ask Republicans.  Tongue

Well I figure that the present value of my SS benefit if I cashed it out today at a 3% discount rate (for 8 years when I start cashing in per year) is about $275,000, much of it untaxed upon receipt. I just calculated it for kicks. That assumes my life expectancy is to age 84, which was a guess, but probably pretty close. So, you see, with a lot of Tories floating around out there, where this is going?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2012, 12:41:35 AM »

I'd think we'd all fear a second Obama term because he'd renew the PATRIOT Act, continue NDAA-type policies, continue Bush tax cuts, keep protectionism, raise massive defense spending, keep Guantanamo open, continue the foreign wars of aggression, continue the War on Drugs, keep gay marriage the dominion of the states, and basically do all the things he's been doing.

all the things that, wowie wow, Mitt Romney supports!

This is going to be a horrible, no good election.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2012, 11:05:34 AM »

I'd think we'd all fear a second Obama term because he'd renew the PATRIOT Act, continue NDAA-type policies, continue Bush tax cuts, keep protectionism, raise massive defense spending, keep Guantanamo open, continue the foreign wars of aggression, continue the War on Drugs, keep gay marriage the dominion of the states, and basically do all the things he's been doing.

all the things that, wowie wow, Mitt Romney supports!

This is going to be a horrible, no good election.

Mitt Romney supports em, Obama's done em, so take your pick:

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2012, 02:19:24 PM »

Obama was a reformer not a revolutionary prez.  No dream act, no follow up to the Dr King speech on getting 1/3rd of blacks out of poverty, no universal healthcare or a public option. But having 3 Scalias on the SCrt for Kennedy, Ginnsberg, and Breyer rather have Obama any day.
hopper
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2012, 06:27:57 PM »

Obama was a reformer not a revolutionary prez.  No dream act no follow up to the Dr King speech on getting 1/3rd of blacks out of poverty, no universal healthcare or a public option. But having 3 Scalias on the SCrt for Kennedy, Ginnsberg, and Breyer rather have Obama any day.
Well Obama put a temporary Dream Act in place so that has to count for something. Obama is not the President of Black People he is the President of the American People. Universal Healthcare-Obama got 95% of what he wanted out of "ObamaCare" except for "The Public Option".
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2012, 11:21:05 AM »

I was referring to a jobs or a public works program specifically designed for job readiness training for low skilled workers which he and Rahn Emanuel and Danny Davis said they were going to do. Actually, the GOP house have blocked every single job bill out there and complained about Dems only passing HCR.
hopper
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2012, 11:39:43 AM »

I was referring to a jobs or a public works program specifically designed for job readiness training for low skilled workers which he and Rahn Emanuel and Danny Davis said they were going to do. Actually, the GOP house have blocked every single job bill out there and complained about Dems only passing HCR.
There are 30 jobs bills passed out of the GOP House collecting dust on Harry Reid's desk in the US Senate. If you are talking about Obama's jobs bill the GOP isn't gonna agree with Obama on everything. Hmm...every single jobs bill? Wasn't there just a jobs bill passed a month ago?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies