If the courts struck down the whole bill.... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:41:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  If the courts struck down the whole bill.... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How will this scenairo affect the race?
Advantage Romney

Advantage Obama

Cancel's each other out

No impact

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: If the courts struck down the whole bill....  (Read 3879 times)
WhyteRain
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

« on: June 17, 2012, 11:32:29 AM »

I think it would be a clear advantage to Obama, because while the mandate is unpopular, striking down the whole bill would mean chaos and I think people would correctly perceive it as overreaching. I mean, they've admitted they have no intention of reading the bill. They literally would have no idea what they were doing.

No one read it before voting for it, so why must the Sup Court justices be tortured? 

The only people who have actually read the entire thing are a few Tea Partyers. 
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 11:47:16 AM »

Frankly, I hope the Court takes this opportunity to overrule Wickard v. Filburn (1942), the wartime decision that implemented the dastardly "effects" test for the Interstate Commerce Clause.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 12:03:28 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2012, 12:05:05 PM by WhyteRain »

"For the health care industry, a decision striking down the entire ACA would be an absolute disaster. Physicians, hospitals, and private companies have been shifting how they practice medicine in anticipation of the ACA’s implementation. They’ve been creating accountable care organizations,[1] envisioning a significant ....

LOL ... what's funnier than leftists who care about the travails of Big Business?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Wait --  Seniors will pay more but Big Business will get less?  Oh wait, is this the magic of government that we've seen make Europe what it is today (and what the USSR was 30 years ago)?  

Wait -- if poor Big Biz "loses $1 trillion" doesn't that mean that consumers save $1 trillion?  Or are we back to the fairy dust of Big Government accounting again?

Why am I not surprised this article was written by a law student (or professor) and not by anybody actually in the health insurance business?

No one read it before voting for it, so why must the Sup Court justices be tortured?  
[/quote]

The Courts are supposed to show deference to the actual legislative branches, not be a legislative branch. Besides, the legislature can enact a law for whatever reason they want, while Court has to justify its decisions by determining whether something is unconstitutional. They can hardly do that without even knowing what it is.
[/quote]

Having worked at a state supreme court, I can tell you that the courts are not going to allow the legislative branch to usurp the doctrine of judicial review by writing laws so long --if this one's 2,400 pages, what's to stop the next from being 24,000 or 240,000 pages? -- and then saying to the courts "You can't overturn it unless you read every single word!"

I can tell you, too, that the justices will not only reject this ... "argument", but will be insulted that they even have to listen to it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies