Top 10 People Who Almost Became President
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:32:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Top 10 People Who Almost Became President
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Top 10 People Who Almost Became President  (Read 3378 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 06, 2012, 11:13:07 PM »

http://listverse.com/2009/07/18/top-10-people-who-almost-became-president/

Interesting article.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 12:05:39 AM »

Yes, an interesting list.

To that I would add:

John Nance Garner: If FDR had not sought a third term would certainly have won the Democratic nomination in 1940 and won, plus president-elect FDR was with Chicago Mayor Anton Cermak when he was killed,  There's speculation that Cermak was the intended target all along as a hit ordered by Al Capone and that FDR was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Alben Barkley: If the attack by the Puerto Rican nationalists in 1950 on Blair House had succeeded, Barkley would have taken office.

Garner certainly belongs in the top 10 and Dewey shouldn't be on the list.   I'm not as certain as to whether Barkley should make the top 10, nor who to remove to make room for him if he was put on.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 12:21:19 AM »
« Edited: June 07, 2012, 12:23:32 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Charles Hughes and James Blaine should be on the list.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 04:02:51 AM »

"Andy Johnson is innocent because Ben Wade is guilty of being his successor".
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 09:23:29 PM »

What I find extremely disturbing is the behavior of First Lady Edith Wilson.  If Woodrow Wilson's stroke did render him unable to administer the responsibilities of President, then by the constitution, Thomas Marshall should have assumed the Presidency.

I cannot imagine how a First Lady could get away with such a travesty and blatant disregard for the constitution.  However, that was 1919.  That could not happen in the modern era.   
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 11:18:24 PM »

What I find extremely disturbing is the behavior of First Lady Edith Wilson.  If Woodrow Wilson's stroke did render him unable to administer the responsibilities of President, then by the constitution, Thomas Marshall should have assumed the Presidency.

I cannot imagine how a First Lady could get away with such a travesty and blatant disregard for the constitution.  However, that was 1919.  That could not happen in the modern era.   

There's no indication she did anything other than pursue the policies she thought Wilson would have wanted, so it doesn't offend me as much as it otherwise might have.  Possibly if Marshall had been Acting President, he might have been able to get the Treaty of Versailles through the Senate, but I'm doubtful.  If anything, news of Wilson's true degree of incapacity would have made the prospect of its passage less likely, not more likely.  Plus it is doubtful that if the U.S. had been a member of the League of Nations that it would have been any more successful than it was.
Mikestone8
Rookie
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 10:50:38 AM »
« Edited: June 14, 2012, 10:56:19 AM by Mikestone8 »

Others would be

John C Calhoun. Would have succeeded Had HoR failed to choose a President in 1825, or had Andrew Jackson succumbed to illness in 1829.

Willie Mangum. Would have succeeded had John Tyler been killed by the explosion on the Princeton in 1844.

George M Dallas. Would have succeeded Polk had he died before leaving office, rather than three months after doing so in 1849.

Lafayette S Foster. Would have succeeded Lincoln had assassin George Atzerodt not chickened out of killing Andrew Johnson in 1865.

Thomas W Ferry. Might have been interim President in 1877 had no result been declared for the 1876 election. Reportedly, Grant considered resigning in his favour (VP Henry Wilson had died in 1875) on March 3,so that he could serve pending a new election in Nov 1877.

Thomas F Bayard, David Davis, George F Edmunds. Presidents of Senate under Chester Arthur, who was in poor health and died the year after he left office. Any of them might have succeeded, depending exactly when he died. But see below.

Joseph Warren Keifer, John Griffin Carlisle. Speakers of House who would have succeeded had Arthur died while the Senate was in recess.

Adlai E Stevenson. Would have succeeded in 1893 had Cleveland succumbed to his operation for cancer.

Champ Clark. Received a majority vote at the 1912 Democratic convention, but lost out to Wilson due to an archaic rule requiring a two-thirds majority - the first candidate since Van Buren in 1844 to sufffer this fate.

Philander Knox. Would have been interim President had Taft died in late 1912, VP James S Sherman having died in October.

Charles Evans Hughes. Missed Presidency by a whisker in 1916, when only late returns from CA saved Wilson.

Irvine L Lenroot. Nominated for VP by supporters of Harding in 1920, but rejected by Convention in favour of Coolidge.

Alben W Barkley. Would have succeeded in 1950 had those Puerto Ricans succeeded in assassinating Truman.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 08:55:06 AM »

I don't think I remember Aaron Burr, who tied with Jefferson in 1800, being included, so I feel he should be mentioned.
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 12:15:17 PM »

Aaron Burr
DeWitt Clinton
Henry Clay
Lewis Cass
Samuel Tilden
James G. Blaine
Garrett Hobart
Charles Evans Hughes