Can anyone explain Mississippi's weird results from 1956-1964? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:06:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Can anyone explain Mississippi's weird results from 1956-1964? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can anyone explain Mississippi's weird results from 1956-1964?  (Read 5743 times)
old timey villain
cope1989

« on: July 11, 2012, 07:52:31 PM »

Thanks for the answers... I knew racism had something to do with it, but had no idea about the actual MS election process.  

Still find it fascinating that in 1964 MS voters (who I'm assuming were all white), were SO homogenous.  

EDIT: then again, checking the 2008 exit poll, whites in MS went 88-11 McCain.  LA and AL are similar, and outside of those 3 it seems to normalize to a degree.  This is 2008 for god's sake, that's just unbelievable. 

Yeah, it's pretty despicable. I mean, you could argue against the racist angle and say that whites in the deep south just happen to be overehelmingly conservative, but even that doesn't justify close to 90% of whites voting Republican when the vote is much more split in almost every other state. Even whites in Utah gave Obama more support.

So when you examine the facts you realize that racial politics still exist in the south in a big way. 1964 was just the first election that began to turn the "solid south" the other way.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 10:16:13 PM »

the white vote exit polls are wrong in some states. Evidence suggests that while McCain obviously won whites by a huge margin in the south, it wasn't by as much. From what I see in the south he got:

73% in Texas
72% in Oklahoma
no partisan data for Arkansas
79% in Louisiana
82% in Mississippi
77% in Alabama
58% in Florida
72% in Georgia
69% in South Carolina
61% in North Carolina
67% in Tennessee
no partisan data for Kentucky or West Virginia