Do Republicans remind you of "1984"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:34:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do Republicans remind you of "1984"?  (Read 1308 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 19, 2012, 08:21:17 AM »

As soon as the government announced that Eastasia had always been the enemy, no one would even fathom that Eurasia had been the enemy just minutes before.

Similarly, not only will most Republicans not admit that the individual mandate spent nearly 20 years being standard Republican policy, they seem to have honestly convinced themselves that it was always an unconstitutional liberal plot.

It's scary how similar the situations are, and how much power FoxNews has over what people believe...
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 12:06:02 PM »

Yes.
hopper
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 06:22:11 PM »

As soon as the government announced that Eastasia had always been the enemy, no one would even fathom that Eurasia had been the enemy just minutes before.

Similarly, not only will most Republicans not admit that the individual mandate spent nearly 20 years being standard Republican policy, they seem to have honestly convinced themselves that it was always an unconstitutional liberal plot.
It's scary how similar the situations are, and how much power FoxNews has over what people believe...
Its true it was a conservative idea(i.e. The Heratige Foundation) but now the Republicans are against it. The individual mandate was only passed in one state which was Massachusetts when Romney was governor there. Is not like other Republican governors in other states passed it and than all of a sudden the Republicans were against it.

I watch Fox News but I don't agree with everything they say. I am more of a libertarian type.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 07:42:23 PM »

Kinda like many Republicans were in favor of intervention in Libya, but as soon as Obama did it they had and about face. The modern GOP is the epitome of intellectual dishonesty.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 09:01:53 PM »

I hadn't thought of that, but I suppose you're right in that sense. Well, I really was always against the individual mandate.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 09:10:36 PM »

There are reasons many a Republican politician might be reminiscent of 1984, but not for anything mentioned so far in this thread.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 09:30:56 PM »

There are reasons many a Republican politician might be reminiscent of 1984, but not for anything mentioned so far in this thread.

Al and Sam Spade are more than enough for this forum, thank you.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 11:52:11 PM »

In my humble opinion, this is an unfair comparison and huge generalization to make.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 11:53:24 PM »

no
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 10:42:09 AM »

Ok sure and the Democrats remind me of "Brave New World" Wink
hopper
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 11:44:13 AM »

Kinda like many Republicans were in favor of intervention in Libya, but as soon as Obama did it they had and about face. The modern GOP is the epitome of intellectual dishonesty.
Not it wasn't because Obama was in favor of it. It was because the GOP wanted Obama to do it a few weeks earlier with the intervention into Libya. THe GOP had thought the timeline to do the intervention had passed when Obama decided to act on it.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 01:29:33 PM »

THe GOP had thought the timeline to do the intervention had passed when Obama decided to act on it.

How convenient. You can't possibly fall for such excuses.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 04:36:13 PM »

This is quote from Niel Postman comparing 1984 with Brave New World:

"What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one. Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egotism. Orwell feared that the truth would be concealed from us. Huxley feared the truth would be drowned in a sea of irrelevance. Orwell feared we would become a captive culture. Huxley feared we would become a trivial culture, preoccupied with some equivalent of the feelies, the orgy porgy, and the centrifugal bumblepuppy. As Huxley remarked in Brave New World Revisited, the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that our desire will ruin us."
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 09:10:03 PM »

In my humble opinion, this is an unfair comparison and huge generalization to make.

Agreed.  Harry should duckspeak apology to Ingsoc and BB.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 09:23:09 PM »

Or sending special ops into Pakistan to get Bin Laden.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 06:30:36 AM »

No one ever opposed that.

But in the way you state it, yes. I'm kind of rooting for Romney just so we don't have to keep on doing this.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 08:44:25 PM »

But in the way you state it, yes. I'm kind of rooting for Romney just so we don't have to keep on doing this.

"“Will we risk the confused leadership of an inexperienced candidate who once suggested bombing our ally, Pakistan?” - John McCain
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 08:40:36 AM »

"“Will we risk the confused leadership of an inexperienced candidate who once suggested bombing our ally, Pakistan?” - John McCain

But that wasn't in response to the Bin Laden mission.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 10:35:38 AM »

I'd rather live in 535 AF than in 1984....
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 01:46:51 PM »

No.

The rabid nationalists on both side who foam at the mouth at the sight of Bradley Manning do, however.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2012, 02:25:04 PM »

I question the value of the 1984 comparison.  Everything can be compared to it, which effectively means that nothing can. 
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2012, 05:04:55 PM »

I question the value of the 1984 comparison.  Everything can be compared to it, which effectively means that nothing can. 

George Orwell is watching you...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies