Assange seeks asylum in Ecuador
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:54:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Assange seeks asylum in Ecuador
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9
Author Topic: Assange seeks asylum in Ecuador  (Read 23802 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: August 24, 2012, 09:32:34 AM »

Most people are actually not that fixated on sex.

Really?  Really?Huh 

Into the absurdity bin with this one!
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #176 on: August 24, 2012, 10:15:06 AM »

Really?  Really?Huh 

I mean on the level of Opebo. Tongue Most people have plenty of other things going on in life that they value highly.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #177 on: August 24, 2012, 10:24:07 AM »

Really?  Really?Huh 

I mean on the level of Opebo. Tongue Most people have plenty of other things going on in life that they value highly.

Ok, whew......yes, opebo is one of a kind, and I'm sure he'll be by to thank you for pointing it out Wink
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #178 on: August 24, 2012, 10:35:30 AM »

With respect to you as well, opebo, I actually have extreme emotional responses about most things, I just don't usually unload about them unless I'm in the zone, so to speak, and the way this was being talked about put me in said zone.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #179 on: August 24, 2012, 12:36:58 PM »

But Nathan, a desire to have sex is commonplace and normal, not 'perverse', as is a desire for some form of affirmation in the real world - sometimes called 'success', and typified by being seen the media.

Why this obsession with normality, opebo? Why do you feel the need to impose your set of values on Nathan or anyone else? Most people are actually not that fixated on sex.

Because my statement was a direct response to a claim of abnormality made by my quoted interlocutor (Nathan), Gustaf - as I have now underlined above for those who have difficulty with reading comprehension.

But Gustaf, you're only imagining the straw-man opebo.  I'm not obsessed with s*x - in point of fact I also place a great deal of importance on eating, sleeping, and being completely bone-idle, but those things are somewhat easier to obtain than the unmentionable.

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #180 on: August 24, 2012, 11:45:19 PM »

Or perhaps to them rape charges are a bigger issue than the putative wellbeing of one particular individual who has delusions of grandeur about his having pissed off the US government.

Yeah, as I said, different priorities.  They, like you, can't see the bigger picture.

The bigger picture is the fact that we've got people supporting a sleazy sex addict's attempts to flee Swedish justice, of all justices, because they like (their perceptions of) his political beliefs.

I think that's unfair to opebo.  He would probably support Assange's attempts to flee rape charges even if he didn't like his political beliefs.

I don't think even opebo would consider himself, individually, to constitute 'the bigger picture'.

What I'm saying here is that I don't think opebo would consider Assange to be a sleazy sex addict, nor what he's accused of to be something that he should be prosecuted for, regardless of what Assange's political beliefs are.  Remember, we're dealing with someone who thought Polanski was guilty of nothing more than bad judgment.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #181 on: August 25, 2012, 01:00:11 PM »

"Do you know that I shall soon die in terrible pain?
But what can I do?  God has sent me to save our dear sovereign and Holy Russia.
Despite my terrible sins, I am a Christ in miniature."

Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #182 on: August 25, 2012, 01:45:40 PM »

Or perhaps to them rape charges are a bigger issue than the putative wellbeing of one particular individual who has delusions of grandeur about his having pissed off the US government.

Yeah, as I said, different priorities.  They, like you, can't see the bigger picture.

The bigger picture is the fact that we've got people supporting a sleazy sex addict's attempts to flee Swedish justice, of all justices, because they like (their perceptions of) his political beliefs.

I think that's unfair to opebo.  He would probably support Assange's attempts to flee rape charges even if he didn't like his political beliefs.

I don't think even opebo would consider himself, individually, to constitute 'the bigger picture'.

What I'm saying here is that I don't think opebo would consider Assange to be a sleazy sex addict, nor what he's accused of to be something that he should be prosecuted for, regardless of what Assange's political beliefs are.  Remember, we're dealing with someone who thought Polanski was guilty of nothing more than bad judgment.

Oh, I know that, I just don't think that his personal considerations regarding that are the 'bigger picture' that he's talking about.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #183 on: August 25, 2012, 02:00:31 PM »

Oh, I know that, I just don't think that his personal considerations regarding that are the 'bigger picture' that he's talking about.
[/quote]

Yeah, the bigger picture I'm talking about is simply that the marauding hegemon is at least in some sense a threat to or having an effect on us - one weedy guy's sexual behavior, however bad, really is an irrelevancy from 99.9% of the population's perspective.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #184 on: August 26, 2012, 12:49:23 AM »
« Edited: August 26, 2012, 01:09:50 AM by koenkai »

I am really conflicted with Assange. On a very base, emotional level, I want him to be captured and hanged (or executed in some other way), but I also think doing so would be detrimental for U.S. interests and actually quite difficult to do.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #185 on: August 26, 2012, 01:44:43 AM »

I'm utterly disgusted by people who wish to see the state murder people for OH NOES RELEASING SOME F$CKING DOCUMENTS.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #186 on: August 26, 2012, 08:05:51 AM »

And I'm utterly disgusted by your support for rapists and terrorists.  Assange has put many people in danger by releasing those documents.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #187 on: August 26, 2012, 09:03:41 AM »

And I'm utterly disgusted by your support for rapists and terrorists.  Assange has put many people in danger by releasing those documents.

Assange is the most dangerous terrorist the United States has ever faced since Daniel Ellsberg. His leaks caused much political embarrassment put many people in danger. He deserves to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize be shot.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #188 on: August 26, 2012, 09:51:31 AM »

Yeah, the bigger picture I'm talking about is simply that the marauding hegemon is at least in some sense a threat to or having an effect on us - one weedy guy's sexual behavior, however bad, really is an irrelevancy from 99.9% of the population's perspective.

I agree with you insofar as that, in an ideal world, state treatment of Assange's escapades wouldn't have to be handled in any manner more public or consuming of resources than treatment of anybody else's. We just (obviously) disagree on what that treatment should be, and on whether or not that ship has irrevocably sailed due to the nature of the situation.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #189 on: August 26, 2012, 10:14:02 AM »

I am really conflicted with Assange. On a very base, emotional level, I want him to be captured and hanged (or executed in some other way), but I also think doing so would be detrimental for U.S. interests and actually quite difficult to do.

I'd rather just see Assange spend the rest of his miserable life in a federal penitentiary.  That will be enough for most people.  

I'm still making up my mind about Bradley Manning, though... 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #190 on: August 26, 2012, 10:43:51 AM »

So did Stauffenberg.  I don't see why we should consider that important.

I'd rather just see Assange spend the rest of his miserable life in a federal penitentiary.  That will be enough for most people.  

What for?
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #191 on: August 26, 2012, 12:07:34 PM »

Well, we probably don't have the case to actually hang him. Heck, even putting him in jail is a little of a stretch (though we could probably do it).

I've yet to as well. Manning was obviously a mere patzy whose fairly crappy life was taken advantage of. At the same time, what he did was completely unacceptable. And I think it's in cases like this why lady justice is blind.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #192 on: August 26, 2012, 02:22:22 PM »

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #193 on: August 26, 2012, 02:31:01 PM »

Don't know what's more disturbing... people who are buying the whole "WikiLeaks endangers lifes" propaganda or people who think "maybe rape isn't so bad as long as the perp has other accomplishments to show for".
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #194 on: August 26, 2012, 02:58:38 PM »

Don't know what's more disturbing... people who are buying the whole "WikiLeaks endangers lifes" propaganda or people who think "maybe rape isn't so bad as long as the perp has other accomplishments to show for".

Now, I'm not an apologist for otherwise-FFs who commit alleged sex crimes...I'm just very, very wary of the whole situation, what with the U.S. having a vested interest in getting it's dirty hands on him.  Yes, they could have asked for his extradition from the UK, but what if once he's in Sweden the U.S. goes "alright, we'd like him once you're done with him"?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #195 on: August 27, 2012, 12:15:43 PM »

disturbing... people who think "maybe rape isn't so bad as long as the perp has other accomplishments to show for".

I don't think it is so much that as just that people tend to doubt the allegations, or even if they were true, many people don't find them to conform to their idea or definition of 'rape'.

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #196 on: August 27, 2012, 12:39:20 PM »

Actually, opebo, I think most believe it was he-said she-said. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #197 on: August 27, 2012, 05:30:28 PM »

Actually, opebo, I think most believe it was he-said she-said. 

Yeah, that's what I mean when I say they 'doubt the allegations'.  I mean, how could you not?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #198 on: August 28, 2012, 01:52:01 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2012, 02:02:29 PM by opebo »

Kind of amusing to see several of the legal myths thrown around by Assange's defence team repeated here immediately after I posted a piece that, basically, tears them to shreds.

Here it is again, for anyone that's interested.

Hey Al, it turns out that article you linked twice is wrong (according to this Guardian article)!  It is in fact up to the Swedish government to extradite or not extradite, and it could in fact make promises or 'guarantees' about same.  And another source debunking your article.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #199 on: August 28, 2012, 02:19:10 PM »

I'm no diplomatic expert and like opebo, I'm a lazy, so I'll ask - Isn't a diplomatic vehicle and a diplomatic plane the property of the foreign gummit?  I'm guessing no or he'd be in Quito by now.....but enlighten me.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies