Assange seeks asylum in Ecuador (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:07:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Assange seeks asylum in Ecuador (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Assange seeks asylum in Ecuador  (Read 24048 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: August 19, 2012, 05:22:34 PM »

Nah, we'll know where he will be.  The Ecuadorian embassy.  He ain't leaving there for years to come now.

Really?  I don't know the history of such cases, but is there a history of people managing to stay in such places for years on end?  The embassy there is I hear rather small, and after all the US may overthrow Rafael Correa at any moment.  I doubt he's prospects there are truly long-term.

The most extreme case I know of was a Catholic priest in Hungary who spoke out against communism during the Cold War, and then ended up hiding out in the US embassy for 15 years(!).
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 06:30:20 PM »

You really are a bunch of disgusting people.  

Moderators are allowed to say such things?

It's a moral imperative to speak out against certain things even if there is a punishment connected to it. Like, I'm fighting the system, dude. Totally.

Report it if you want.

and I have a similar moral imperative not to report posts, as to limit the power held by people like you -- unless for theatre or jest.

Well I reported it.

I thought you no longer reported anybody because you'd decided to turn the other cheek like JC?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 06:56:19 PM »

Or perhaps to them rape charges are a bigger issue than the putative wellbeing of one particular individual who has delusions of grandeur about his having pissed off the US government.

Yeah, as I said, different priorities.  They, like you, can't see the bigger picture.

The bigger picture is the fact that we've got people supporting a sleazy sex addict's attempts to flee Swedish justice, of all justices, because they like (their perceptions of) his political beliefs.

I think that's unfair to opebo.  He would probably support Assange's attempts to flee rape charges even if he didn't like his political beliefs.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 11:45:19 PM »

Or perhaps to them rape charges are a bigger issue than the putative wellbeing of one particular individual who has delusions of grandeur about his having pissed off the US government.

Yeah, as I said, different priorities.  They, like you, can't see the bigger picture.

The bigger picture is the fact that we've got people supporting a sleazy sex addict's attempts to flee Swedish justice, of all justices, because they like (their perceptions of) his political beliefs.

I think that's unfair to opebo.  He would probably support Assange's attempts to flee rape charges even if he didn't like his political beliefs.

I don't think even opebo would consider himself, individually, to constitute 'the bigger picture'.

What I'm saying here is that I don't think opebo would consider Assange to be a sleazy sex addict, nor what he's accused of to be something that he should be prosecuted for, regardless of what Assange's political beliefs are.  Remember, we're dealing with someone who thought Polanski was guilty of nothing more than bad judgment.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies