Assange seeks asylum in Ecuador (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:04:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Assange seeks asylum in Ecuador (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Assange seeks asylum in Ecuador  (Read 23932 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: June 20, 2012, 08:24:42 PM »

I don't get all this. Is Assange so deluded that he actually believes in the conspiracy theories or is he so sure of being found guilty?

He may just want to avoid having to return to Sweden at all costs.

Where they obviously are going to hang him (probably under CIA orders?)

Not saying you believe that Wink

Nah, Sweden just may be an awful place to spend your time.

True.  It produces people like Gustaf.

EDIT:  Worth pointing out that idealistic leftist idiots gave this scumbag 315,000 for his bail.  Since he's fleeing, the money is forfeited.  He just blew a third of a million dollars of his supporters' donated money on a ridiculous and likely-failed attempt to flee to Ecuador.

Ok, that is a fair point. Then again, pro-rape jerks should fit right in here!

I just wish to say he is suspected of being a rapist. Not guilty until proved so by the Court, which didn't pronounced yet on that.

Through, yes, him flying is suspicious and doesn't help his case (through it should have no effect on the trial, as him being guilty or not must be based on facts, not impressions.)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 01:40:41 PM »

I don't get all this. Is Assange so deluded that he actually believes in the conspiracy theories or is he so sure of being found guilty?

He may just want to avoid having to return to Sweden at all costs.

Where they obviously are going to hang him (probably under CIA orders?)

Not saying you believe that Wink

Nah, Sweden just may be an awful place to spend your time.

True.  It produces people like Gustaf.

EDIT:  Worth pointing out that idealistic leftist idiots gave this scumbag 315,000 for his bail.  Since he's fleeing, the money is forfeited.  He just blew a third of a million dollars of his supporters' donated money on a ridiculous and likely-failed attempt to flee to Ecuador.

Ok, that is a fair point. Then again, pro-rape jerks should fit right in here!

I just wish to say he is suspected of being a rapist. Not guilty until proved so by the Court, which didn't pronounced yet on that.

Through, yes, him flying is suspicious and doesn't help his case (through it should have no effect on the trial, as him being guilty or not must be based on facts, not impressions.)

He's not even been charged in Sweden - at the moment they just want to talk to him.

And they make such a deal of this? The Swede attorney/judge/whatever can take a plane and go in UK to talk to him, that would be simpler and quicker.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 02:15:41 PM »

And they make such a deal of this? The Swede attorney/judge/whatever can take a plane and go in UK to talk to him, that would be simpler and quicker.

That isn't the way police forces operate on the whole. It is not hard for Assange to go to Stockholm himself - he can drive there in under 21 hours straight.

And how cars leave UK? As far as I know, there is no bridge. Does Eurostar transport cars? The Dover-Calais boats, if they still exist?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 02:22:46 PM »

Again, I still think than given there is no legal procedures against him in Sweden and than the investigators only want to talk to him, the best idea is to the Sweden investigators to go in London.
That would alleviate the concerns of everyone there.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 05:43:32 PM »

Again, I still think than given there is no legal procedures against him in Sweden and than the investigators only want to talk to him, the best idea is to the Sweden investigators to go in London.

This is incorrect. He's wanted so he can be indicted for rape.

Well, why don't indict him right now? They don't need him on the national territory to indict him.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 10:00:28 PM »

This is incorrect. He's wanted so he can be indicted for rape.

Well, why don't indict him right now? They don't need him on the national territory to indict him.

They need him on national territory to arrest him. They can't have an indictment hearing/arraignment/whatever they're calling it in Sweden without arresting him. Why the British didn't have the authority to pack him back off to Sweden I have no idea.

They had the authority of extrading him, but, he had the right to contest the extradition in front of courts, to delay it.
And, now, he is in an embassy, and entering it would violate international conventions and cause a diplomatic incident.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies