Assange seeks asylum in Ecuador (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:23:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Assange seeks asylum in Ecuador (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Assange seeks asylum in Ecuador  (Read 24116 times)
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« on: August 19, 2012, 04:36:10 PM »

If Assange were sent to the US by Sweden (which is less likely than from the UK), I somehow doubt he'd be executed - a lot of people did even more damage than he did and only got life sentences.

Still, him being thrown in jail for life would be horrible.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 06:02:39 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2012, 06:04:14 PM by Free Palestine »

I have far more an issue with Bradley Manning then with Assange... Assange is a rogue, Manning is a traitor....

Truth is treason in the empire of lies.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 06:37:33 PM »

it's great to see that for the first time since the fall of the USSR we have a functioning counter-power bloc in world geopolitics, no matter how weak or flimsy it may be.  viva Castro, viva Chavez, viva Correa, viva Morales.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 11:16:24 PM »

There's a big difference between a dissident fleeing an oppressive country and this terrorist.

Lolno
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 02:37:42 AM »

Yes, I have.  Ecuador cannot hide behind international agreements in order to shelter a criminal wanted for serious crimes in multiple countries.

But can the US and Britain hide behind similar agreements in order to shelter those accused of treason and subverting the state in countries like, say, Russia, Iran, China, etc?

This is so reminiscent of doublethink, where people are both aware of a lie yet also believe it because it's in the state's interest.

No, the West (TM) cannot with a straight face claim the right to shelter dissidents in the embassies in Russia, China, Iran, or X-istan, and then claim their sovereignty is violated when someone who hasn't even been charged with anything runs into an embassy of a country whose government they don't really like. This is not the 19th century where Britain and the US can openly trample on international laws to fit their selfish interests. The West is no longer dominant.

Get used to it.

Herp because locking people up for subverting the government is okay in a liberal democracy.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 02:58:42 AM »

What's bizarre about the way so many patriots left and right call for Manning and Assange's heads on a platter, is that the founders of the United States were eligible for the same sorts of things, as were the leaders of the Libyan revolution, and the participants in the various Latin American revolutions against the Spanish, and the French Revolution.

"Treason" in all these cases is nothing more than a tool by the government to defend it's own interests, and take advantage of those who follow said government.  And in every historical case, the ancien regime's cries of treason and sedition are now seen as reactionary bull[Inks] -- as will the modern-day calls for Manning and Assange to be executed, or thrown in prison for life.  Assuming of course that America becomes enlightened.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 03:17:58 AM »

Assange hasn't been charged with any political crimes.

I know, but there's plenty of people who want him to be charged with such "crimes."
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 01:44:43 AM »

I'm utterly disgusted by people who wish to see the state murder people for OH NOES RELEASING SOME F$CKING DOCUMENTS.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 02:22:22 PM »

I am really conflicted with Assange. On a very base, emotional level, I want him to be captured and hanged (or executed in some other way), but I also think doing so would be detrimental for U.S. interests and actually quite difficult to do.

I'd rather just see Assange spend the rest of his miserable life in a federal penitentiary.  That will be enough for most people.  

I'm still making up my mind about Bradley Manning, though... 

Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 02:58:38 PM »

Don't know what's more disturbing... people who are buying the whole "WikiLeaks endangers lifes" propaganda or people who think "maybe rape isn't so bad as long as the perp has other accomplishments to show for".

Now, I'm not an apologist for otherwise-FFs who commit alleged sex crimes...I'm just very, very wary of the whole situation, what with the U.S. having a vested interest in getting it's dirty hands on him.  Yes, they could have asked for his extradition from the UK, but what if once he's in Sweden the U.S. goes "alright, we'd like him once you're done with him"?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies