Best President from World War 2 to 2012? And why? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:39:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Best President from World War 2 to 2012? And why? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of these presidents is the best?
Franklin D Roosevelt (D)

Harry Truman (D)

Dwight D Eisenhower (R)

John F Kennedy (D)

Lyndon B Johnson (D)

Richard Nixon (R)

Gerald Ford (R)

Jimmy Carter (D)

Ronald Reagan (R)

George HW Bush (R)

Bill Clinton (D)

George W Bush (R)

Barack Obama (D)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 47

Author Topic: Best President from World War 2 to 2012? And why?  (Read 4153 times)
Purch
Rookie

« on: June 25, 2012, 04:38:42 PM »

Let me say this. I consider Truman one of the worst human beings for his dropping atomic bombs on largely civilian populations, and I despise the fact Eisenhower overthrew the Iranian government using the Cia; however I personally believe the 16 year span from Harry Truman's presidency through Eisenhower's presidency was one of the most successful periods in American's history in many different aspects.
Purch
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 12:15:29 PM »

Let me say this. I consider Truman one of the worst human beings for his dropping atomic bombs on largely civilian populations

The alternatives were:

*Blockade Japan until they starved into submission. Millions of Japanese citizens die as the war continues.
*Invade Japan. Millions of Allied and possibly tens of millions of Japanese soldiers and civilians die.

Or accept the Japanese conditions for surrender which had been offered since late 1944 (i.e. guaranteeing that the Emperor would not lose his throne).

I was always under that impression. I've always maintained that the Japanese were willing to surrender as long as they kept their monarchy; whiles Truman not only wanted them to disintegrate their monarchy but also wanted to use the Atomic bomb as a way to demonstrate American power to the Soviets. Whether or not that's true, doesn't change the fact that dropping atoms bombs on largely civilian populations is a war crime, plain and simple. If that isn't a war crime then what can honestly be considered a war crime? Or is it just another set of rules that is enforced differently when it affects western nations?
Purch
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 05:40:31 PM »

Well if you're talking about failure to put 9/11 I always have to split the blame for that, between Clinton and Bush considering both had intel and opportunities to take out Osama prior to the incident.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies