Asians surpass Hispanics as largest new immigrant group
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:44:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Asians surpass Hispanics as largest new immigrant group
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Asians surpass Hispanics as largest new immigrant group  (Read 4851 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2012, 01:17:21 AM »
« edited: June 23, 2012, 01:19:57 AM by His Great Device Makes Him Famous »

Asians on the whole are not "socially liberal" by any stretch of the imagination. Leftist economically, yes.

That is largely dependent on their generation. Generally, first and second generation asians are much more socially liberal.

As contrasted to? This seems to indicate a fairly traditionalist bloc of people:

A focus on marriage, family ties, morality, and hard work? Sounds very "old-school".
Seattle
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2012, 03:49:50 PM »

Compared to the US population as a whole. Sorry, I should have clarified that.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2012, 03:50:45 PM »

I'm sort of surprised that people in the general public don't find it all that important to have a successful marriage or to be a good parent(!).
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2012, 04:10:07 PM »

I'm sort of surprised that people in the general public don't find it all that important to have a successful marriage or to be a good parent(!).

Remember that marriage is on the decline in the US.  With 50% of couples getting divorced I'm not that surprised that the gen pub doesn't have a very high opinion of the institution.

On another note, it would be interesting to see where the newcomers are settling.  I know that Hawaii, Alaska, and the West Coast have fairly high Asian populations just based on proximity.  I'm wondering if there are any "interior" or eastern enclaves also or if it is a geographically neutral thing.  I'm sure it differs somewhat by country of origin.  I believe their is a significant Vietnamese population in New Orleans; New York is always a general immigrant hot spot; I've also gotten the impression that DC and Atlanta have higher than average Asian populations.  Are their any other major destination cities?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2012, 06:31:37 PM »

Remember that marriage is on the decline in the US.  With 50% of couples getting divorced I'm not that surprised that the gen pub doesn't have a very high opinion of the institution.

On another note, it would be interesting to see where the newcomers are settling.  I know that Hawaii, Alaska, and the West Coast have fairly high Asian populations just based on proximity.  I'm wondering if there are any "interior" or eastern enclaves also or if it is a geographically neutral thing.  I'm sure it differs somewhat by country of origin.  I believe their is a significant Vietnamese population in New Orleans; New York is always a general immigrant hot spot; I've also gotten the impression that DC and Atlanta have higher than average Asian populations.  Are their any other major destination cities?

Seattle, Houston
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2012, 08:32:14 PM »

Asians on the whole are not "socially liberal" by any stretch of the imagination. Leftist economically, yes.

That is largely dependent on their generation. Generally, first and second generation asians are much more socially liberal.

As contrasted to? This seems to indicate a fairly traditionalist bloc of people:

A focus on marriage, family ties, morality, and hard work? Sounds very "old-school".

Believing in hard work and close family ties does not = believing personal religious views should become laws of the country...

Believing in those things or not doesn't really impact if someone is socially conservative or liberal.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2012, 11:28:49 PM »

Believing in hard work and close family ties does not = believing personal religious views should become laws of the country...

Believing in those things or not doesn't really impact if someone is socially conservative or liberal.

Social conservatism doesn't necessarily imply religion or vice versa. 
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2012, 06:19:37 PM »

Are Filipino-Americans really that wealthy and educated? I was always under the impression that they were one of the poorer (and more Democratic-leaning) Asian immigrant groups.

They're fairly wealthy and educated, and are one of the most Republican immigrant groups period.

I'm a Filipino-American decent and most Filipinos I know voted for Obama. 
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2012, 06:48:57 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2012, 07:00:24 PM by memphis »

Asian is an even less meaningful label than Hispanic. What exactly do Persians and Japanese immigrants have in common?
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2012, 07:24:09 PM »

Asian is an even less meaningful label than Hispanic. What exactly do Persians and Japanese immigrants have in common?

A lot of Persians/Iranian immigrants do not list themselves as Asian. They consider themselves Caucasian and hence white. But I do agree that Indians and Japanese do not necessarily share the same interests.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2012, 10:43:10 PM »

Middle Easterners come under White.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies