Asians surpass Hispanics as largest new immigrant group
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:45:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Asians surpass Hispanics as largest new immigrant group
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Asians surpass Hispanics as largest new immigrant group  (Read 4827 times)
Linus Van Pelt

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 20, 2012, 01:28:18 PM »

Not the largest group of total immigrants from past years still in the country, just to be clear - that would take a long time - but the largest group now coming. At least according to data just released by the Pew Research Center; they aim to include both legal and illegal immigrants, and of course the latter must be estimated.

It's a little hard to know whether this is a temporary blip caused by the crash in certain lower-skilled sectors, but if it continues it would certainly affect the long-term demographics of the country in various ways.

One thing I find in general is that the media and the popular imagination tend to underestimate the share of immigrants who are coming through established legal channels, who are often well-educated.

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 05:39:57 PM »

I wonder now: does the median asian income provide a better quality of life in practice, considering their population is largely concentrated in areas with higher costs of living compared to white Americans?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 07:35:39 PM »

Sanchez is gonna love this.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 01:16:29 AM »

Net migration with Mexico is less than zero ever since the housing bubble went kaput.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 01:37:04 AM »

That 70% figure for Indians is likely due to resume fraud.  The east and southeast Asian countries listed have much better educational systems than India.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 04:05:23 AM »

Yeah, what is the actual source of the data shown on the right?  Is it just self-reporting?  Because I think it's pretty well established that people tend to lie about their educational level to pollsters.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 07:17:12 AM »

Note that Thailand doesn't even register there - they don't want to leave, or after a taste of the USA for a few years, usually come back in horror.
danny
Israel

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 07:43:37 AM »

Note that Thailand doesn't even register there - they don't want to leave, or after a taste of the USA for a few years, usually come back in horror.

The list is only of the 6 largest groups, they could have added more groups and then they would register. Also, There are reasons other than lack of desire for the lack of immigrants. In Israel Thai's are brought in specifically to pick fruit in hothouses, a hard and not well paying job (by Israeli standards).
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 08:59:30 AM »

That 70% figure for Indians is likely due to resume fraud.  The east and southeast Asian countries listed have much better educational systems than India.

I wouldn't call it fraud, but India does have different standards for a college degree. I've seen cases where their college degree was more like a vocational or trade school degree. The US would at best consider them to be associates degrees. It's complicated by the fact that many Indian degrees are from institutions equivalent to a college engineering degree. Without inspecting the actual transcript and knowing the texts used, it's nearly impossible for an American to tell.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 09:38:04 AM »

Socal seems to have quite a number of Thais around. There is even a little Thai neighborhood in LA just to the NW of Silverlake.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 09:50:06 AM »

I'm not sure about the source of the educational data. (My interest was more in the left-hand side of the graphic, but it's a single image.)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 12:00:03 PM »

In Israel Thai's are brought in specifically to pick fruit in hothouses, a hard and not well paying job (by Israeli standards).

Socal seems to have quite a number of Thais around. There is even a little Thai neighborhood in LA just to the NW of Silverlake.

Yeah there are some of course, but very few as a percentage of Thai population, compared to the number of migrants from other Asian countries.  Of course to be fair this is partly just a simple matter of economics - Thais are much better off in rough per-capita-gdp than say Philippinos, Indians, etc, but it also has a lot to do with various quality of life issues such as societal functionality and good governance.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 12:45:04 PM »

I love jfern's hatred of Indians.  (They're taking his JEEERRRBBB!!!)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 06:03:42 PM »

Are Filipino-Americans really that wealthy and educated? I was always under the impression that they were one of the poorer (and more Democratic-leaning) Asian immigrant groups.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 07:05:58 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2012, 07:30:21 PM by Senator Sbane »

I'm a little surprised Koreans are only at 50k. Vietnamese I can understand are not that wealthy since many came here as political refugees. Filipinos are pretty middle class I would say and are overrepresented in job fields such as nursing.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 08:42:29 PM »

I love jfern's hatred of Indians.  (They're taking his JEEERRRBBB!!!)

I was just pointing out the suspiciously high numbers for them. The east and southeast Asian countries, even Vietnam, have higher education levels in the general populace.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 08:51:38 PM »

That 70% figure for Indians is likely due to resume fraud.  The east and southeast Asian countries listed have much better educational systems than India.

Keep in mind that first-generation south Asians English skills are likely far better than first-generation east and southeast Asians. Sometimes this spills over even to the second generation, because children whose parents have impeccable English skills are better able to relate to 'American' culture than children whose parents have poor English skills. I would be curious to see the difference between Taiwanese and mainland Chinese.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 09:55:41 PM »

Are Filipino-Americans really that wealthy and educated? I was always under the impression that they were one of the poorer (and more Democratic-leaning) Asian immigrant groups.

They're fairly wealthy and educated, and are one of the most Republican immigrant groups period.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 06:55:28 AM »

Can you tell us more about good governance in Thailand? I'm not plugged in, but for a time the Thai political system looked like the world's largest soccer riot.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 08:23:56 AM »
« Edited: June 22, 2012, 08:26:41 AM by His Great Device Makes Him Famous »

This makes me insanely happy. I'm trying to think of something meaningful to say, but can't. Oh well. I hope this trend continues, and I hope that we see a shift to the GOP. The poll said that Asians were more likely to place a higher value upon marriage, parenthood, hard work (or something like that) and education- our traditional American values. Seeing their overrepresentation in our elite universities, it's a matter of time before we see overrepresentation in politics, and those values reenter the political dialogue.  Of course, their economic and scientific contributions needn't be mentioned. It wouldn't be a stretch to say Asians may very well save this country by refocusing it on its core values.

It's a shame the GOP's small mindedness prevents them from tapping into this potential base. You'd think Black-Asian antagonism (see Rodney King riots) might push them in that direction... but it's nice to think they're other ways to do that. Alas, they're not likely to be pursued.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2012, 10:11:53 AM »

I wouldn't call it fraud, but India does have different standards for a college degree. I've seen cases where their college degree was more like a vocational or trade school degree. The US would at best consider them to be associates degrees. It's complicated by the fact that many Indian degrees are from institutions equivalent to a college engineering degree. Without inspecting the actual transcript and knowing the texts used, it's nearly impossible for an American to tell.

Guys, remember that immigrant communities are NEVER representative of the countries from which they originate. Most Indians who can get a visa to the U.S. come from the upper classes/castes, and are thus by far the most likely to know English, hold degrees or be well-educated. They are here because they have had access to opportunities of which the typical Indian cannot even dream. Only at tiny, tiny fraction of the overall Indian population is here: even if there are a million or more people of Indian origin in the U.S., there are hundreds of millions more in India.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2012, 10:56:34 AM »

Guys, remember that immigrant communities are NEVER representative of the countries from which they originate. Most Indians who can get a visa to the U.S. come from the upper classes/castes, and are thus by far the most likely to know English, hold degrees or be well-educated. They are here because they have had access to opportunities of which the typical Indian cannot even dream. Only at tiny, tiny fraction of the overall Indian population is here: even if there are a million or more people of Indian origin in the U.S., there are hundreds of millions more in India.

This. But I think there's a greater cultural outlook difference as well.
hopper
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2012, 01:57:29 PM »

This makes me insanely happy. I'm trying to think of something meaningful to say, but can't. Oh well. I hope this trend continues, and I hope that we see a shift to the GOP. The poll said that Asians were more likely to place a higher value upon marriage, parenthood, hard work (or something like that) and education- our traditional American values. Seeing their overrepresentation in our elite universities, it's a matter of time before we see overrepresentation in politics, and those values reenter the political dialogue.  Of course, their economic and scientific contributions needn't be mentioned. It wouldn't be a stretch to say Asians may very well save this country by refocusing it on its core values.

It's a shame the GOP's small mindedness prevents them from tapping into this potential base. You'd think Black-Asian antagonism (see Rodney King riots) might push them in that direction... but it's nice to think they're other ways to do that. Alas, they're not likely to be pursued.
Well Asians aren't as big as a population group as Whites or the big population group that Hispanics are going to be in a few more decades. That is probaly why the GOP doesn't put a focus on Asians in elections. I think Asians are socially liberal like Jewish people are thats why they vote Dem.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2012, 11:04:49 PM »

Asians on the whole are not "socially liberal" by any stretch of the imagination. Leftist economically, yes.
Seattle
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2012, 12:46:18 AM »

Asians on the whole are not "socially liberal" by any stretch of the imagination. Leftist economically, yes.

That is largely dependent on their generation. Generally, first and second generation asians are much more socially liberal.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies