Asians surpass Hispanics as largest new immigrant group (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:27:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Asians surpass Hispanics as largest new immigrant group (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Asians surpass Hispanics as largest new immigrant group  (Read 4873 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« on: June 22, 2012, 08:23:56 AM »
« edited: June 22, 2012, 08:26:41 AM by His Great Device Makes Him Famous »

This makes me insanely happy. I'm trying to think of something meaningful to say, but can't. Oh well. I hope this trend continues, and I hope that we see a shift to the GOP. The poll said that Asians were more likely to place a higher value upon marriage, parenthood, hard work (or something like that) and education- our traditional American values. Seeing their overrepresentation in our elite universities, it's a matter of time before we see overrepresentation in politics, and those values reenter the political dialogue.  Of course, their economic and scientific contributions needn't be mentioned. It wouldn't be a stretch to say Asians may very well save this country by refocusing it on its core values.

It's a shame the GOP's small mindedness prevents them from tapping into this potential base. You'd think Black-Asian antagonism (see Rodney King riots) might push them in that direction... but it's nice to think they're other ways to do that. Alas, they're not likely to be pursued.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 10:56:34 AM »

That 70% figure for Indians is likely due to resume fraud.  The east and southeast Asian countries listed have much better educational systems than India.

I wouldn't call it fraud, but India does have different standards for a college degree. I've seen cases where their college degree was more like a vocational or trade school degree. The US would at best consider them to be associates degrees. It's complicated by the fact that many Indian degrees are from institutions equivalent to a college engineering degree. Without inspecting the actual transcript and knowing the texts used, it's nearly impossible for an American to tell.

Guys, remember that immigrant communities are NEVER representative of the countries from which they originate. Most Indians who can get a visa to the U.S. come from the upper classes/castes, and are thus by far the most likely to know English, hold degrees or be well-educated. They are here because they have had access to opportunities of which the typical Indian cannot even dream. Only at tiny, tiny fraction of the overall Indian population is here: even if there are a million or more people of Indian origin in the U.S., there are hundreds of millions more in India.

This. But I think there's a greater cultural outlook difference as well.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 11:04:49 PM »

Asians on the whole are not "socially liberal" by any stretch of the imagination. Leftist economically, yes.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 01:17:21 AM »
« Edited: June 23, 2012, 01:19:57 AM by His Great Device Makes Him Famous »

Asians on the whole are not "socially liberal" by any stretch of the imagination. Leftist economically, yes.

That is largely dependent on their generation. Generally, first and second generation asians are much more socially liberal.

As contrasted to? This seems to indicate a fairly traditionalist bloc of people:

A focus on marriage, family ties, morality, and hard work? Sounds very "old-school".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies