Paraguay: Lugo's impeachment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:18:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Paraguay: Lugo's impeachment
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Paraguay: Lugo's impeachment  (Read 923 times)
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 21, 2012, 10:06:07 PM »

Fernando Lugo is facing impeachment allegations. He's being accused of omission and bad performance of duties. Some clashes happened between landless peasants, that support Lugo, and policemen in a land owned by a Colorado Party politician. They were armed and Lugo is being blamed as supporter of them. Peasant movement has problems with land given by Stroessner to his supporters.
His impeachment passed in Chamber in a 76-1 vote. Lugo doesn't have political support, as he split with Liberal Party that was main supporter in his election. Lino Oviedo's party (National Union of Ethical Citzens) is against Lugo too. Colorados, Liberals and Oviedistas have 38 of 45 seats in Senate. Then, impeachment is almost certain.
Unasur's foreign ministers are in Assuncion. South American governments believe that Lugo is suffering an unfair process that will lead unstabilty in Paraguay.
Paraguay has a problem with presidents. In 1999, Raul Cubas (a Colorados' oviedista) was forced to resign after being accused of orchestrating murder of vice-president Luis Maria Argaņa along Oviedo. Luiz Gonzalez Macchi, who replaced Cubas, suffered impeachment procedures too.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 10:48:15 PM »

Lugo for that matter doesn't appear to have been an especially good bishop, either, but he's struck me as less bad than other sectors of Paraguayan political society for the most part. Maybe my nonexistent proximity to Paraguay distorts my perception a bit, though.
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 04:21:36 AM »

Lugo for that matter doesn't appear to have been an especially good bishop, either, but he's struck me as less bad than other sectors of Paraguayan political society for the most part. Maybe my nonexistent proximity to Paraguay distorts my perception a bit, though.
Lugo lost support of Catholic Church. Bishops asked him to resign. He left church before becoming president, but he had problems with "love childs" that appeared after he got presidency.
Colorado Party is most retrograde thing in Latin America. To defeat 60 years of hegemony, it takes a lot of time.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 06:45:20 AM »

From what I'm reading there were between 16 and 18 people dead. Including 7 policemen killed and apparently more than 100 wounded (information about this seems to be all over the place in regards to the amount of dead and wounded, so I'm not sure).

It doesn't really just sound like "some clashes", which sounds like a pretty big understatement.

Unfortunately Lugo is probably still better than whoever could succeed him.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 08:46:50 AM »
« Edited: June 22, 2012, 08:49:30 AM by His Great Device Makes Him Famous »

Oh this guy! A hahaha! He had it coming. He lost any kind of support when it was revealed when he had bastard children... This isn't ancien regime France, you know. Back to the Colorados, I suppose.

On more important things, when is Paraguay going to recognize the PRC?
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 12:48:24 AM »
« Edited: June 23, 2012, 12:56:09 AM by RodPresident »

Lugo was impeached by a 38-4 vote in Senate. By now, Federico Franco is new president. Paraguay is going to be isolated from South America because it is being considered a coup. It's very likely that Venezuela will be allowed to join Mercosul as Paraguay was only country that didn't ratified.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 02:18:53 AM »

Bizarre, and Paraguay have a history of this...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 10:24:32 AM »

Ah, found the thread. (Yeah, it didn't really occur to me to actually actively look for it before starting my own... Sad )
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies