Poll for Mideast Citizens: Lt. Governor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:36:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Poll for Mideast Citizens: Lt. Governor
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: What do you think of the idea to re-establish the Lt. Governor office?
Good idea

Bad idea

Not sure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: Poll for Mideast Citizens: Lt. Governor  (Read 2445 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2012, 01:03:44 AM »

Very bad idea. If we have citizens who want a job but cannot find one, those citizens should run for the Assembly and we can have the five seat Assembly. A Lieutenant Governor position will not help activity or functionality.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2012, 01:58:09 AM »

In order to make the office of Lt. Governor even more powerful, we could grant the Lt. Governor the right to break ties in the Assembly (the Governor can still veto the bill even if the Lt. Governor votes "aye"):

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I am in favor of this and striking any judicial power. However, I am still not compelled to vote for this as previous oldies have stated, it truly was useless and makes elections less competitive.

I would be fine with this; the Lt. Governor can break ties in the Assembly (ties should not happen in theory since there are 3 Assemblymembers but we had numerous votes where at least one Assemblymember didn't vote) but he doesn't have a say in the Governor's Superior Court Judge pick. The former scenario is more frequent than the latter so having the Lt. Governor break ties is more important.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2012, 12:22:31 PM »

How about this:

- The Assembly expands to 4 members.
- Whoever places first in Assembly elections becomes Lt. Governor. This guarentee's that there will always be at least some competition for the Assembly seats, and also takes away the fear some have that creating an entirely new Lt. Governor position and vote will be uncompetitive.
- Should the top vote getter not want to be Lt. Governor, it keeps getting passed down until someone wants it.
- The Lt. Governor will pretty much hold the same responsibilities the Speaker currently has: Lead the Assembly, fill in if Lt. Governor is vacant, etc. Their vote will also break any tie.

So basically, base it off the Northeast system.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2012, 12:38:27 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2012, 12:47:14 PM by Senator Scott »

How about this:

- Whoever places first in Assembly elections becomes Lt. Governor. This guarentee's that there will always be at least some competition for the Assembly seats, and also takes away the fear some have that creating an entirely new Lt. Governor position and vote will be uncompetitive.
- Should the top vote getter not want to be Lt. Governor, it keeps getting passed down until someone wants it.
- The Lt. Governor will pretty much hold the same responsibilities the Speaker currently has: Lead the Assembly, fill in if Lt. Governor is vacant, etc. Their vote will also break any tie.

Just to clarify- ties are broken via ballot referendums if a vote for legislation ties in the Assembly and the Governor signs it.  The Lt. Governor is considered a regular voting member of the Assembly, so he does not break ties when they come up.

The five member Assembly has worked well for us and I would recommend going off of our system, especially since the Mideast has enough active members for it.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2012, 02:06:12 PM »

Support.  As for whether it should be on a ticket with the Governor or elected separately, I don't care either way.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2012, 02:07:38 PM »

Support.  As for whether it should be on a ticket with the Governor or elected separately, I don't care either way.
Why?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2012, 03:15:29 PM »

Getting at least two people to run for Governor, two people to run for LG and four or more Assembly candidates while having a judge and a Senator is not going to happen and will decrease electoral competition. This doesn't account for the executive or judicial branches of the federal government or any Mideast residents serving as at large Senators. This is a bad idea through and through.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2012, 03:52:03 PM »

I don't really see the point -if the governor's office becomes vacant for whatever reason, hold a special election to replace him (or her).  There is no need for a Lt. Governor. 
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2012, 04:43:14 PM »

Anyone care to comment on my proposal?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2012, 09:19:28 PM »

How about this:

I think the speaker should be the person who is best able to be speaker, and so elected by the assembly itself, but not have any extra powers beyond that (at least not more than currently). I do not like the idea of the speaker having also the ability to break ties, because that means they will basically have two votes in many cases in addition to their other powers over the assembly, which is too much. I prefer having an odd number assembly so that you do not have a tie if everyone votes.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies