Will Turkey and Syria go to war?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:49:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Will Turkey and Syria go to war?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will Turkey and Syria go to war?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 7

Author Topic: Will Turkey and Syria go to war?  (Read 702 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 27, 2012, 09:32:58 PM »

If they do as many point out the US could be required to go in. However I doubt any ground troops would happen in that instance, or from any NATO country except Turkey, likely the US and the rest of NATO would just do Libya-style airstrikes. Also I imagine Turkey would mostly just use special forces for ground troops and also focus on airstrikes, letting Syrian rebels do most of the fighting.

But right now the Turkish government is basically threatening just this. I'd bet they already have special forces covertly in Syria right now.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 10:20:15 PM »

Turkey doesn't want to lose all of the goodwill its been building up in the Arab world and Syria has an incentive to be loud and warmongering, as long as there is no actual war to speak of. I bet it'll end like the recent showdowns the Koreas had, with Syria playing the North and Turkey the South.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 11:16:48 PM »

Turkey doesn't want to lose all of the goodwill its been building up in the Arab world and Syria has an incentive to be loud and warmongering, as long as there is no actual war to speak of. I bet it'll end like the recent showdowns the Koreas had, with Syria playing the North and Turkey the South.

Considering Saudi Arabia's actively arming the rebels and Egypt is incredibly condemnatory towards Assad, I'm not sure how intervention would lose goodwill among the Arab world.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 12:33:01 AM »

Considering Saudi Arabia's actively arming the rebels and Egypt is incredibly condemnatory towards Assad, I'm not sure how intervention would lose goodwill among the Arab world.

Easy.  The Turks go in, kick Assad out, but reestablish along the coast an Alawite State (a la Northern Cypress) and keep troops there ostensibly to keep the peace.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies