Citizens! United! Will Never Be Defeated! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:35:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Citizens! United! Will Never Be Defeated! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Citizens! United! Will Never Be Defeated!  (Read 2943 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« on: June 25, 2012, 09:38:31 PM »

Well, thank goodness.

...except, as I have pointed out numerous times, the Occupy movement no longer has influence. (I want to say dead, but you've pointed out there are a few insignificant surviving circles, so I'll just say it's in an irreversible coma).

American democracy died a long time ago, especially when lobbying started gaining influence for interest groups.

Two questions:
a) Certain lobbyists/lobbying practices may be distasteful, but how does that kill democracy?
b) ...and, how is American democracy dead, considering Americans still vote in free and fair elections, and for two rather different parties? And are also allowed to influence those parties through primaries?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 11:19:39 AM »

...except, as I have pointed out numerous times, the Occupy movement no longer has influence.

Proof?

The proof is that in the US, when an organization matters it either:
a) has a lot of money with which to buy advertisements, or
b) gets free media attention

Occupy neither has money nor does it get media attention anymore. (If, as you've put forward, the media was actually afraid of Occupy, it would be demonized consistently, like what they do to Obama on Fox News -- but, it doesn't, because nobody's afraid anymore). Therefore, Occupy no longer matters.

Also, most of the people involved in Occupy have moved on with their lives, although I see you haven't.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies