PA State Rep. Mike Turzai = ADMITTED DOUCHEBAG!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:25:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  PA State Rep. Mike Turzai = ADMITTED DOUCHEBAG!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: PA State Rep. Mike Turzai = ADMITTED DOUCHEBAG!  (Read 4348 times)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 26, 2012, 09:15:19 PM »

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/presidential/Voter-ID-is-well-IDed.html

WOW!  Just wow!  He finally admitted it.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 09:18:13 PM »

I'm moving to Canada when I turn 18.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 09:29:36 PM »

Canada's Americanizing.

And...he's wrong. He's an idiot for thinking so, and he's an even bigger idiot for saying it if he does think so.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 09:47:47 PM »

It won't help on this topic. Canada has voter ID.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 09:49:33 PM »

Canada also has better mechanisms in place to administer elections in general.

Canada's only 'Americanizing' in whatever sense Vosem means it because Harper, and even the longest, most glittering reign (which his isn't) must someday come to an end.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 12:05:29 AM »

He is clearly referring to Philadelphia's history of voter fraud and irregularities.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 12:07:18 AM »

He is clearly referring to Philadelphia's history of voter fraud and irregularities.

My thought was that he was referring to voter fraud.  But he worded it really poorly.  And even IF he was referring to voter fraud, the goal shouldn't be to stop Democrat fraudsters.  The goal should be to stop ALL fraudsters, regardless of which way it swings the outcome.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 08:21:16 AM »

Canada's only 'Americanizing' in whatever sense Vosem means it because Harper, and even the longest, most glittering reign (which his isn't) must someday come to an end.

It's Americanizing in the sense that all three parties seem to be moving right -- certainly, the Conservatives of Stephen Harper are more right-wing than Brian Mulroney's PCs; the Liberals of Scott Brison are more right-wing than John Turner's Libs; and former Quebec Liberal Thomas Mulcair's NDs are more right-wing than Ed Broadbent's were.

I may just be getting the wrong impression...but I think in Canada the system is moving right as a whole.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 08:49:15 AM »

Republicans support this because it will help them win elections.

Democrats support this because it will hurt them win elections.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 08:53:46 AM »

As do most places. But then again, everywhere else has proper voter registration.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 08:58:32 AM »

Republicans support this because it will help them win elections.

Democrats support this because it will hurt them win elections.

There is little indication of that actually being true in Indiana and Georgia.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 10:40:37 AM »

As do most places. But then again, everywhere else has proper voter registration.

Could you define that?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 11:13:31 AM »

Could you define that?

Yes, automatic universal registration to all eligible voters (citizens).
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 11:20:14 AM »

Could you define that?

Is it so hard to get registered here, really?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 11:23:33 AM »

Republicans think it will help them, but in reality it won't, because Democrats winning large cities by large numbers isn't due to voter fraud. It's not like Philadelphia or Pittsburgh will be 50-50 because of voter ID, those places are just very strongly Democratic. I doubt this will even really be enforced, there are so many precincts, it's hard to see all of them checking IDs.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 11:24:43 AM »

Could you define that?

Is it so hard to get registered here, really?

For the vast majority of people, no. But "vast majority" isn't good enough.
Obviously also impossible in the US without some other changes...but would be best in theory Smiley
Link
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 11:55:26 AM »

Obama won Pennsylvania by 605,820 votes.  Your theory is there were 605,821 fraudulent votes cast in Pennsylvania in 2008?!
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 11:57:18 AM »

Obama won Pennsylvania by 605,820 votes.  Your theory is there were 605,821 fraudulent votes cast in Pennsylvania in 2008?!

I can't speak for krazen, but it speaks volumes that the 'insane quote of the year' in your sig is something at the very least 40% of Americans agree with, and probably a majority.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 12:51:38 PM »

I can't speak for krazen, but it speaks volumes that the 'insane quote of the year' in your sig is something at the very least 40% of Americans agree with, and probably a majority.

The "every" is what makes it excessive hyperbole.  That 40% or more of Americans think that as a whole things have gotten worse does not mean that they think every single aspect of life has gotten worse.  Still, there must be better candidates for 'insane quote of the year'.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 01:04:23 PM »

The "every" is what makes it excessive hyperbole.  That 40% or more of Americans think that as a whole things have gotten worse does not mean that they think every single aspect of life has gotten worse.  Still, there must be better candidates for 'insane quote of the year'.

Oh, sure, but it isn't like it'll hurt Rubio or anyone else electorally at all. And the little attention it gets will probably be positive.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2012, 10:23:51 PM »

You lost Pres elections since 1988. GET OVER IT!
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2012, 08:36:09 AM »

No, of course not. Turzai clearly believes that Romney will narrow the gap by winning the hearts and minds of voters, and the reduction of fraud and irregularities in Philadelphia will close the remainder.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2012, 02:33:32 PM »
« Edited: June 29, 2012, 02:35:03 PM by Nathan »

No, of course not. Turzai clearly believes that Romney will narrow the gap by winning the hearts and minds of voters, and the reduction of fraud and irregularities in Philadelphia will close the remainder.

Voter suppression and voter roll purges technically are 'irregularities', albeit not prima facie fraudulent. Democrats (and the American left in general) are historically more prone to 'vote early, vote often', while the American right is historically more prone to 'keep Certain Folk from voting'.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2012, 03:40:40 PM »

Voter suppression and voter roll purges technically are 'irregularities', albeit not prima facie fraudulent. Democrats (and the American left in general) are historically more prone to 'vote early, vote often', while the American right is historically more prone to 'keep Certain Folk from voting'.

Well, that is an interesting theory, I suppose, but not one that has been shown to be true by strict photo voter ID laws in recent years. If the theory is to 'keep certain folk from voting', certainly voter ID is not the way to do it. See Georgia.

Ghost voting is a well known phenomenon.

http://archives.citypaper.net/articles/101295/article009.shtml
http://articles.philly.com/1995-03-22/news/25701461_1_election-fraud-absentee-ballots-polling-place
http://articles.philly.com/1994-12-08/news/25856495_1_absentee-ballots-dead-voter-election-code-violations

According to the charges, Fani Papanikolau, who also was an election judge last year in the Feltonville section of the 42d Ward, counterfeited 18 absentee ballots in the Nov. 2, 1993, election and cast eight other bogus votes during the last three years.

Fani Papanikolau, 38, is also accused of allowing someone else to pull a voting machine lever in the name of a dead woman, Catherine Barbakos, in the 1993 primary. Overall, Papanikolau is charged with 104 election-code violations.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2012, 08:56:14 AM »

First, I think the Pennsylvania law is overly restrictive.

Second, in the last two months, I've:

1.  Been called by (Democratic) DA's Office to verify that I signed the Republican Committee member's nominating petition.  (I did.)

2.  Robocalled by my (Democratic) state rep to see if I had ID to vote.

3.  Been called by some Republicans to see if they could use me as a poll watcher to check ID's.  (I cannot sit 13 hours, so I declined.)

4.  Had an actually nonpartisan flyer on my door telling me that I'd need ID to vote.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies